Entries about Minnesota history from MNopedia are made available through a partnership with the Minnesota Historical Society and with funding from the Legacy Amendment's Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund.
December 1962: Oil spills into the Mississippi, triggering ecological disaster
More like this
- Latest oil spill lesson for Minnesotans: If it can happen in Michigan, it can happen here, too
- Oil spill: Gulf of Mexico disaster 'growing by the moment'
- Rep. Wagenius questions Minnesota's pollution control approach
- For Keystone XL foes, oozing Canadian crude in Arkansas spill is black gold
- Gulf spill no hazard to birds in Minnesota, but that could change