Entries about Minnesota history from MNopedia are made available through a partnership with the Minnesota Historical Society and with funding from the Legacy Amendment's Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund.
Treaty of Traverse des Sioux ceded millions of acres from Dakota to U.S.
More like this
- When the Dakota moved to reservations: The Treaty of Mendota
- 150 years ago: U.S.-Dakota War ends at the Battle of Wood Lake
- Rail battle, 1854: the Minnesota and Northwestern Railroad land grant scandal
- U of M students hope documentary prompts debate over apology to Native Americans
- Happy Birthday, Hennepin County; you look great for 160!