Other Facebook factors
The trove of incriminating pictures posted on Facebook seems to provoke the greatest anxiety among college athletic departments. But potential suspension isn't their only concern.
Material accessed on Facebook also can have a detrimental influence on these athletic arenas:
Recruiting: Teens are all over Facebook, too, and they're reading the profiles of athletes at their prospective colleges very closely.
Donations: Pictures and captions suggesting athletes don't take their sport or school seriously can deter alumni donations.
Trash talking: Profiles provide detailed fodder for trash talking, including information about an athlete's age, hometown, sexual orientation and dating status.
More like this
- Current events -- from Obama to racial incidents -- should boost Black History Month
- Three-Sixty Journalism: Uh-oh: Some college admissions staffs check Facebook
- Creating Hamline, Minnesota's first college
- ThreeSixty Journalism: MySpace vs. Facebook
- Home at the Dome: U of M, college baseball teams depend on indoor play to beat cold weather