In "Creating Minnesota," Annette Atkins discusses the importance of oranges at Christmastime in Victorian Minnesota. We take it for granted today, but when the fruit first traveled 1,500 miles to our wintry state it was a marvel. Atkins will discuss this and other ghosts of Minnesota past at the Hennepin History Museum's annual Holiday Tea, 2-4 p.m. Dec. 16.
As Minnesota prepares to celebrate its sesquicentennial in 2008, Atkins will make frequent appearances throughout the state.
More like this
- Prof. Keillor's book tells why so much is forbidden here
- Anti-trafficking laws and other ways to combat modern slavery: Ambassador Luis CdeBaca offers insights
- Prostitution is legal in Lebanon, but the lack of licenses leads to charges of exploitation
- Canada to legalize prostitution?
- Julie Landsman: Talking about race in the classroom