It’s a big week of openings, as theater both large and small open new shows.
Here are some highlights:
- George Keller takes the stage as the Native American trickster in John Kauffman’s “According to Coyote,” which opens Tuesday at the Children’s Theatre Company. The production, originally staged at the Seattle Children’s Theater, is directed by Sheila Daniels. The show runs through March 21 at the Children’s Theatre Company, 2400 Third Ave. S. Tickets are $15 to $40. For more information and tickets, call 612-874-0400 or visit online.
- After a week’s delay, Urban Samurai’s “Drama, a Comedy or: Apocalypse Tuesday” opens Friday at the Sables Jewish Community Center. The play, written by company founder Aaron Christopher, centers on how an unseen and possibly nonexistent threat drives a typical couple crazy. The play runs through Feb. 21 at the center, 4330 Cedar Lake Road, St. Louis Park. Tickets are $10 to $16. For information and tickets, call 651-983-6626 or visit online.
- Walking Shadow Theatre Company will delve into the criminal underground in “Mojo,” by British playwright Jez Butterworth. The period piece, set in the early days of rock ‘n’ roll in London, is directed by Amy Rummenie. The show runs Friday through Feb. 27 at the Red Eye Theater, 15 W. 14th St., Minneapolis. Tickets are $15 and $18. For information, call 612-375-0300 or visit online.
- The Ivey Award winning “No Child” returns to the Pillsbury House Theatre for a month-long run from Friday through March 14. The one-woman show stars Sonja Parks, who earned the Ivey in 2009 for her performance. The Pillsbury House Theatre is located at 3501 Chicago Ave. S., Minneapolis. Tickets are $10 to $20. For information, call 612-825-0459 or visit online.
- Brave New Workshop opens its latest show, “How to Make Love Like a Minnesotan III: The Full Montevideo,” Friday. The comedy revue runs through April 24 at the Brave New Workshop, 2605 Hennepin Ave. S., Minneapolis. Tickets are $25-$29. For tickets and more information, call 612-332-6620 or visit online.
- Joshua English Scrimshaw and Shanan Custer bring back “From Here to Maternity” for a weeklong run at the Bryant-Lake Bowl Theater. The piece was one of the top-selling shows at the 2007 Minnesota Fringe Festival. The show runs Saturday-Feb. 21 at the Bowl, 810 W. Lake St., Minneapolis. Tickets are $14 ($12 with Fringe button). For information or tickets, call 612-825-8949 or visit online.