The ultimate Minnesota cities population-size bracket quiz

How well do you know your Minnesota city sizes? Sure, most Minnesotans know what the biggest cities in our state are, but what about whether Fridley’s bigger than Shakopee? How does Owatonna compare to Austin? Does Brooklyn Park or Brooklyn Center have more people?

Along with much of the rest of the internet, we here at MinnPost were captivated by the U.S. Census Bureau’s March-Madness-style bracket quiz about the populations of U.S. States and major cities. It also got our local angle radars buzzing, and so here we present the ultimate Minnesota city population bracket quiz.

Below, Minnesota’s top sixty-four most populous cities are squared off in a single elimination tournament. For each pairing, click or tap on the city that you think has the highest population. You’ll see if you’re right or wrong, and the higher population city will advance to the next round.

City populations are taken from the 2017 American Community Survey 5-year estimates. In some cases, the differences in population between two paired cities may not be statistically significant, but since this is mostly in the spirit of fun we encourage you to suspend your statistical disbelief and ignore margins of error.

Your score: 0

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Winner

1. Submitted by Ray Schoch on 04/01/2019 - 11:20 am.

47. I need to get out more…

2. Submitted by Kyle Anderson on 04/01/2019 - 12:53 pm.

3. Submitted by Aaron Albertson on 04/01/2019 - 03:12 pm.

53. Missed St. Louis Park, despite growing up there.

4. Submitted by CJ Camp on 04/01/2019 - 04:25 pm.

48. Huh. My favorite number, so I guess I’ll take it… Clearly, Plymouth is bigger than I thought.

5. Submitted by Ted Hathaway on 04/01/2019 - 07:31 pm.

54. I got Duluth wrong, assuming it was smaller than Bloomington. Jim Lindau must be spinning in his grave. I can remember him boasting his city as #3 in the state for a brief time in the 80s when Bloomington managed to crawl past Duluth’s declining numbers. Rochester, of course, has blown them both away in the meantime, but I see even Duluth has come back. Shame on me for not paying attention.

6. Submitted by George Carlson on 04/01/2019 - 10:34 pm.

7. Submitted by Lois Parsons on 04/02/2019 - 04:06 pm.

48 Moorhead is bigger than Mankato!? Since when I wonder!?
    And who knows how big Oakdale is anyway?🤣

8. Submitted by Ken Wedding on 04/03/2019 - 11:27 am.

sadly uninformed

9. Submitted by Dave Carlson on 04/07/2019 - 09:57 am.

50… sorry Owatonna and Oakdale, I voted against you both in two successive rounds…
    A bit of a disservice to Duluth pitting them against behemoth Minneapolis in the first round.
    At least I did better in this bracket challenge than my NCAA picks!