Jared Allen, tax policy analyst

From this morning’s Strib, on athletes’ reactions to Obama’s victory:

Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen also thought about the tax implications.

“It’s a sad day for me. I’m a McCain supporter. There is nothing I can do about it now. Our paychecks will be cut in half,” he said. “It is what it is and McCain, I still love you, and Obama, you better do what you promised because the whole country is watching.”

For the record, under Obama’s tax plan, the rate on Jared’s six-year, $75 million contract will rise from 35 percent to 39 percent. Teachable moment.

1. Submitted by Karl Pearson-Cater on 11/06/2008 - 06:17 am.

Jared the Football Player!

McCain NEEDED you on the campaign trail, man.

2. Submitted by Mike Haubrich on 11/06/2008 - 07:43 am.

I think he needs to sit down with Matt Birk and get a little economic education. He’s easy to find, just across the line of scrimmage during practice.

3. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 11/06/2008 - 08:33 am.

I liked him better as a dangerous and shiftless drunk.

Also, regarding “paychecks cut in half”: if this is how well he does math, I bet Allen’s agent is absolutely rolling in it by fudging the commission numbers.

4. Submitted by Jonathan Carter on 11/06/2008 - 10:26 am.

That’s the figure that Obamamessiah gave during the campaign but you have to know that now that they have control of government they are going to double their stated increase amounts. Allen’s just stating what to expect. I doubt if you can trust the liberals to contain their spending to the increase they stated in the to get elected. They are after all the tax and spend party. The republicans really are the tax and borrow party.

5. Submitted by Bernice Vetsch on 11/06/2008 - 12:13 pm.

Jonathan Carter: Obama will let the Bush tax cuts for those singles making $200,000 or more and couples making $250,000 or more. He will CUT taxes for those with lower incomes.

Many self-employed persons have NOT been told that the $200,000 – $250,000 applies to their net take-home profit, not to their gross sales.

A recent poll showed that over half of Minnesotans whose incomes are these level were happy to vote to Obama in spite of (or because of) the rise in their tax bills.

The disinformation about this topic has been repeatedly and widely spread by the Chamber of Commerce and other right-wing types.

6. Submitted by Jonathan Carter on 11/06/2008 - 12:53 pm.

Bernice : I’m not arguing with what the Messiah said, I just don’t believe that’s what will happen once the dems get the power they covet. Not overtly to begin with but it will be little fudging here and there. A tad over then a tad more cuz they’re obviously the chosen party and what they think is right. I’m not saying the reps are any better. Just saying, I don’t believe it until I see it. I’m not in that group and I’m betting my taxes go up.