Olbermann nails Pawlenty for car-ballot fiction; KSTP enables it

The car-ballot fiction is starting to generate a national media response. Tonight, MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann made Tim Pawlenty his second-Worst Person in the World for enabling the recount-related falsehood on Sean Hannity’s Fox show.

The relevant section is at about the 45-second mark:

Meanwhile, closer to home, KSTP passes on the guv’s comments uncritically:

1. Submitted by Leif Utne on 11/13/2008 - 10:06 pm.

Anyone know how to reach the KSTP producer who put that on the air?

2. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 11/14/2008 - 09:21 am.

Not fair to hit T-Paw on this.

I am glad the truth came out on this, thanks to DB, but prior to that T-Paw and others were only repeating what they had been told.

As I understand it the election person called the campaigns on Friday night and something she said led them to believe that they had been left in the car.

She, and Ritchie, bear some responsibility for this meme. If they were more transparent the gaps wouldn’t have to be filled like they
    were.

If you don’t acknowledge that, you just aren’t being fair in my mind.

3. Submitted by David Brauer on 11/14/2008 - 09:31 am.

Sorry, JB, I disagree strongly –

People have to be held accountable for what they say. I don’t know if the guv was passing on bad info or doing something worse, but he was confidentally, brazenly asserting something and deserves my criticism for not vetting it.

A simple “We don’t know that” would’ve been minimally acceptable. And let’s be clear – the Coleman lawyer who said it backed off the day he threw it out there. There were newspaper accounts that, while not going into great detail, indicated the city official denied the account.

Pawlenty, or his eagle-eyed press staff, know how to read. Ignorant they are not.

4. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 11/14/2008 - 11:26 am.

Ok, I killed a few brain cells going back over this and I fault T-Paw for his Wed interviews, it did make us look bad and he should have been better informed.

I don’t necessarily fault him for his statements on Tuesday, because it appeared that from your post and Ritchie’s statements that day, the real story was just being disseminated that day.

Knaak did make some cryptic comment on Saturday that he felt assured that the votes should be counted, but that didn’t necessarily mean to anyone that he didn’t think they had still be found in a car. If it wasn’t still confused, you wouldn’t have had to post as late as Tuesday sorting this all out.

I still think Reichart bears some blame here for whatever she told the Coleman campaign here on Friday night. She admitted she was fatigued, which appears to indicate that she thinks she might have misspoke or not been clear.

But if you want to beat up T-Paw (or his staff) for not being better prepped for H&C last night, that seems fair.

5. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 11/14/2008 - 11:30 am.

Actually I see that your post on the “car” wasn’t until afternoon Wednesday, so perhaps we should cut T-Paw more slack?

maybe I am not reading these dates right.

Do we know when his bit was taped? Probably not live. What if it was Wednesday morning?

But Ritchie was already contesting it on Tuesday at the latest so a more cautious answer on that would have been better.

6. Submitted by NIcole Masika on 11/14/2008 - 12:20 pm.

I’m with Keith and David on this. Good to see Pawlenty being held accountable. You’d think after being passed over for VP he might not be so quick to go with the party talking points