State website: Coleman’s lead keeps dropping

According to the Secretary of State’s website, as of 9:20 a.m. Thursday, Norm Coleman’s margin over Al Franken has dropped to 437 votes in the nation’s most closely watched U.S. Senate race.

At midnight last night, the margin stood at 441 votes. This morning’s daily papers, using numbers from yesterday, gave Coleman a 477-vote lead (PiPress) and 475-vote margin (Strib).

The Strib notes that when Coleman “declared victory” Wednesday morning, his lead stood at 725 votes.

[Update: a half-hour after I filed this, the margin is back up to 439, so prepare for turbulence. Hat tip: Jason Barnett.]

1. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 11/06/2008 - 09:57 am.

Every time a new ballot is counted, Nasser Kazeminy buys an angel a suit.

2. Submitted by Jeff Urbanek on 11/06/2008 - 10:18 am.

Maybe Coleman should concede if he feels so strongly about healing.

3. Submitted by B Maginnis on 11/06/2008 - 10:33 am.

Norman won.

Get over it.

The nation laughs at Minnesota for even producing a phony like Franken as a candidate.

I thought you were so concerned about what others in the world think of us, but not when it comes to your loony liberal guys!

4. Submitted by Jonathan Carter on 11/06/2008 - 11:33 am.

If Franken can’t ride Obamamessiah’s coattails to beat an unpopular Senator it must be obvious that he’s truly lacking something. In my opinion it is any sense of decency. In Doug Grows opinion he is just plain divisive. See his MinnPost article yesterday…http://tinyurl.com/6jzvpx

5. Submitted by Michael Ernst on 11/06/2008 - 12:41 pm.

At 12:40 it is down to 338.

6. Submitted by Jacob Taintor on 11/06/2008 - 01:31 pm.

The turbulence continues. Strib says the gap is now down to 337.

I can understand the anxiety that Norm and his supporters must be feeling. He doesn’t want to lose. But a recount is the right thing to do, and it’s the law. 337 is an extremely small number.

And I think, since the votes have been cast, we can probably stop campaigning for our respective candidates. I’m a Franken supporter, and I hope he wins, but at this point it’s out of my hands. All I can do is sit back and appreciate how historical this is, no matter who the victor turns out to be.