Mischke: Good news and falling ratings

Good news first: I can confirm at least one station is very interested in bringing fired AM1500 host T.D. Mischke aboard.

There may be issues with Tommy’s non-compete clause — how can you insist on enforcing that if you fire him? — and money obviously is an object. But yes, he’s very much wanted in the marketplace.

Now the bad news: All of you who love the dude (like me) haven’t necessarily been listening lately. Here are Mischke’s ratings among adults 25-54 for the last five quarterly “books”:

3.0 — Summer 2007
3.4 — Fall 2007
2.6 — Winter 2008
2.3 — Spring 2008
2.1 — Summer 2008

That’s roughly 13th in the market; not awesome, and may help explain why KSTP did what they did.

Of course, it’s not all Mischke’s fault. He was the odd man out of evenings when the AM1500 secured the Twins, and I agree with everyone that nighttime is the right time for “The Mischke Broadcast.”

But also: Check out these falling-off-the-table numbers for his lead-in, Bob Davis:

2.1 — Summer ’07
2.1 — Fall ’07
2.3 — Winter ’08
1.5 — Spring ’08
0.9 — Summer ’08

Good enough for 17th in the market!

Meanwhile, AM1500 stalwart Joe Soucheray is holding steady, albeit at a number below his once-double-digit peak:

6.1 — Summer ’07
5.8 — Fall ’07
6.5 — Winter ’08
5.6 — Spring ’08
6.2 — Summer ’08

Again, it’s worth remembering that Mischke’s value is higher than his numbers due to his long-standing relationships with major KSTP advertisers. The rumor is floating around that R.F. Moeller Jewelers has canceled its KSTP ads in the wake of the firing; I’m awaiting a callback from Bob Moeller, so we’ll see.

1. Submitted by Thomas Swift on 12/08/2008 - 04:34 pm.

Yeah, it seems likely that the Moeller account goes where Mischke goes, but you have to believe that management knew that too.

Knowing how much the Hubbards helped TD out in the past, I’d be shocked to learn that they were enforcing a non-compete.

If they did, I’d suspect there is more to the story than we know.

2. Submitted by Joey Peters on 12/08/2008 - 04:46 pm.

They were still running the Moeller ads today; let’s hope they’re pulled by tomorrow. RF Moeller and Summit Beer will never be the same until his show gets picked up again.

3. Submitted by Justin Thiele on 12/08/2008 - 10:03 pm.

I doubt they include Internet radio listeners in the ratings, or people who download the podcast, like I do. I’ve listened to almost all of his shows for the last few months through the podcast. But us Internet listeners don’t hear all the advertisements that go out over the radio, so it probably wouldn’t make much difference to the bottom line.

If Mischke moves to another station, I wonder if he would stay on days or go back to nights?

4. Submitted by John Plato on 12/08/2008 - 10:11 pm.

I can’t help but wonder how many people were podcasting Mischke like I was. As much as I value the olde tyme radio mystique, podcasting is Mischke-on-demand, and far more convenient. I have to imagine much of the younger demographic prefers to listen to The Broadcast on their iPods instead of in their cars.

5. Submitted by Jonathan Ditlevson on 12/09/2008 - 12:50 am.

I downloaded the podcast every day, and being that there are no ads in them, (they actually remove them) KSTP is missing out on some easy revenue.

6. Submitted by Bill Connell on 12/09/2008 - 05:02 pm.

I’m another podcast listener. KSTP (and other stations, to be fair) miss the ball by not creating a viable channel with the podcasts. It’s not that i don’t like radio, i just can’t listen while i’m at work – either on-air or by the stream.