T.D. Mischke to City Pages

City Pages has come in for a beating lately, but they’re on the verge of something very, very cool: T.D. Mischke’s radio show is moving to citypages.com.

Photo by Michael Crouser/Courtesy of The Atlantic
Photo by Michael Crouser/Courtesy of The Atlantic

The participants haven’t confirmed this, but an informed source says the weekday streaming show starts Feb. 25, “airing” live 2-4 p.m. Mischke will also have a weekly column in the paper, and there’s talk of Mischke videos as well.

If it all proves out, it’s awesome for fans (though bittersweet for the radio-dependent), smart as hell for the alt-weekly, and proof the Mischke is a man of his word. He criticized the radio industry in a MinnPost interview a couple of months ago, and now he’s apparently ready to blaze a new path.

Despite the Internet mojo here, the deal is also proof of the power of print: City Pages’ widely distributed paper will be an effective billboard for Mischke’s web show, giving advertisers like R.F. Moeller two places to cozy up to the host’s body of work.

It’s nice to see dead trees can still provide synergies.

1. Submitted by Mike Haubrich on 02/14/2009 - 06:33 pm.

Well, I work during the live broadcast hours, but I will definitely be downloading the podcasts.

Radio lives!

(Even if it is online.)

2. Submitted by Cassandra Morrison on 02/15/2009 - 12:04 am.

Sounds good…sounds good…would have been happier to have some official confirmation from SOMEBODY though.

Be one jujuflop of a let down if it falls through at the last minute/

3. Submitted by Ed Kohler on 02/15/2009 - 10:25 am.

This is awesome news. I’m looking forward to hearing Mischke again.

4. Submitted by Carol Brown on 02/15/2009 - 11:55 am.

This is very good news and I’m thrilled for Mischke. Diggity!

5. Submitted by Mike Mosedale on 02/15/2009 - 05:29 pm.

I think that is the first good piece of media news I have heard all year.

Actually, it’s not good news. It’s great.

6. Submitted by Michael Price on 02/15/2009 - 05:57 pm.

Great news! It was just a matter of time before Tommy’s unique, original, and sometimes a little bizarre take on things was to get out there again. I love it.

7. Submitted by Kamandi Steel on 02/16/2009 - 11:09 am.

This will be better than when he had a radio show. Little or no commercials. No top and bottom of the hour news. No FCC, rules and regulations. Nobody looking over his shoulder management wise. Unscreened calls. I’m liking this already yo.

Basically you get a full 45 minutes extra of the Mischke Broadcast.

City Pages doesn’t censor their writers. Podcasts are completely unregulated by the FCC. I guess anything goes right?

This will be interesting.

8. Submitted by Tim Tessman on 02/17/2009 - 10:00 am.

With Mischke off the air, St Paul really hasn’t felt like “Good Ol” St Paul lately. Hell, even Minneapolis has lost some of it’s “Big Time” flavor.

I am thrilled that Tommy will be back.

As a guy who grew up loving the radio, I’m a little hesitant about embrasing this online streaming format. Perhaps City Pages would be willing to manually add the sound of static to the Miscke broadcast, to give it that old time radio flavor.

9. Submitted by Matt Bartels on 02/17/2009 - 11:11 pm.

Well said Tim.

I’ll still miss him on my radio, but I will be trying to figure out a way to get his podcasts into my routine.

10. Submitted by Jenny Ecker on 02/18/2009 - 07:46 pm.

Congrats Mischke!!!! This is great news – I for one can’t wait to hear him again.
    I couldn’t ask for a better birthday present than to laugh out loud again. Looking forward to Wednesday!
    Good luck Tommy!

11. Submitted by Justin Thiele on 02/18/2009 - 10:44 pm.

Fantastic news, this.

Naturally, it means there will be some changes from the radio show. Does the fact it’s streamed live at a certain time mean there will still be callers? And I’m guessing we won’t be enjoying any more bottom-of-the-hour “news” breaks. I would imagine the Friday music hour is out, too.

But a new situation is just an opportunity for creativity.

[David replies: Justin, I’m told there will be callers, so don’t worry. Don’t know about the rest.]

12. Submitted by Bongo Cartwright on 02/24/2009 - 02:59 pm.

I haven’t listened to His old radion station since they fired him. I can not support a classless organization like that. I will be listening at work daily to his new show, when it happends. He has many devoted fans and no matter what media he uses, he will be a success!!!