Chad Hartman to WCCO-AM … at least part time

The Strib’s Neal Justin has the scoop.

I agree with Neal; this is a logical pairing. The former KFAN star will be subbing for Michele Tafoya, who has Monday Night Football duties. He’ll be working for Mick Anselmo, his former Clear Channel boss, and competing in the 3-6 p.m. time slot against old partner/rival Dan Barreiro.

This gig is a prelude to more work on the Good Neighbor, Justin says.

It’ll be nice to have Chad’s genteel left-of-centrism to offset Tafoya, who has shown in a few months on the air that she leans over the other side of the plate.

1. Submitted by Joe Johnson on 08/21/2009 - 09:36 am.

Chad to Sid – Thaaannkks Dad.

2. Submitted by Ron Gotzman on 08/21/2009 - 12:33 pm.

Oh NO!! A “right of center” radio host at WCCO!

3. Submitted by Joe Johnson on 08/21/2009 - 01:45 pm.

Brauer – why don’t you get a radio gig. You did just fine on am1500. You could be a not so genteel left of center voice on am1500. Eliminate one hour of Mike and the Huckster and give you an nice midday 2 hour show. Who would you be up against news, Common, and Shelby, you would dominate them on the PPM.

4. Submitted by John Edwards on 08/24/2009 - 11:04 am.

I agree it is great that we now have Chad to balance Tafoya, lest WCCO offend someone. Now, who can we get to balance left-leaning anchorman and talk show host Don Shelby whose appearance and TV essays bear an astonishing resemblance to legendary Minneapolis newsman Ted Baxter?

5. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 08/24/2009 - 12:07 pm.

I see. A radio host doesn’t meet your high standards unless he/she is left leaning. Once again, further proof that that liberals are anything but. I’m sorry you don’t agree with Tafoya’s politics. She may be one of the best, most professional radio personalities in the Twin Cities. It’s unfortunate that you have to bring your political barometer into play – why is that even relevant here? Tafoya’s show is not built around politics (although politics most certainly may drive a conversation), it’s entertainment-based. For Hartman to succeed at WCCO-AM he will need to attract listeners – liberal, conservative and indifferent – a task he was not all that successful at accomplishing at KFAN-AM.

6. Submitted by David Brauer on 08/24/2009 - 12:19 pm.

Spencer –

Down, fella. If you re-read, I didn’t say Tafoya wasn’t a good broadcaster (no judgment there, at least not yet). And if I were you, I wouldn’t make any judgment on Tafoya’s power as a ratings draw versus Chad … at least not yet … according to the early PPM data.

I agree that MT’s show is mostly entertainment-based, but certainly not exclusively. The problem, as I see it, is that you have no local non-righties working afternoon drive talk. (Barreiro is MOR, with that “common sense” lean to the right on many things.) As Dorothy Parker might say, they run the ideological gamut from A to M.

That may be what the market wants/rewards, but as a lover of talk, I’d love to have more local choice. MPR will always make left-leading talk tough, because it’s hard to carve out a viable audience with them thee. Still, I’m a talk fan and what MPR does afternoon drive isn’t really talk; it’s news.

7. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 08/24/2009 - 02:56 pm.

Mr. Brauer – Touched a nerve, eh? What’s the phrase? “If you’re explainin’, you ain’t gainin’.” Thanks for helping me make my case. Additionally, thank you for ratifying the idea that MPR is left-leaning.

8. Submitted by David Brauer on 08/24/2009 - 03:12 pm.

Spencer – while yours is perhaps the laziest playground response possible, thankfully I AM trying to explain, not gain.

MPR attracts a lot of liberal listeners who like actual news, not infotainment; that’s a fact.

9. Submitted by B Maginnis on 08/25/2009 - 12:45 pm.

“Infotainment”.

Intelligent personalities discussing the various foibles of socialism /liberalism?

Or, “Why liberal talk continually fails as a format”.

Discuss.