Classy moves: Pioneer Press congratulates Star Tribune

With a big hat tip to News Cut’s Bob Collins, who first noticed this full-page ad in Sunday’s Pioneer Press, here’s hoping turnabout won’t have to be fair play soon:

As noted earlier, the Strib and the PiPress have a vendor relationship, with the PiPress delivering east-metro Stribs. As Bob notes, I’ve also speculated on closer cooperation in the coming year.

For a brief time, they also shared a publisher — unintentionally, at least from the PiPress side — which put some big money in MediaNews pockets. (Was that considered a force beyond the Strib’s control?)

Still, it isn’t every day a newspaper takes out a full-page ad to remind us of the virtues of competition, which is a very nice thing indeed.

By the way, it’s been nine years since the PiPress won a Pulitzer, and 19 for the Strib. Amid economic pressures and staff shrinkage, which paper will win another one first? Or will the next local winner be an online-only outlet recently, or yet to be, born?

1. Submitted by Louis Petersen on 10/05/2009 - 08:43 am.

I always liked both papers…..

2. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 10/05/2009 - 12:17 pm.

Had to cancel the PiPress when they consistently endorsed Republicans. Their editorials followed suit (or perhaps led the way?)

3. Submitted by David Brauer on 10/05/2009 - 01:46 pm.

Martha – thanks for the compliment. I live in Minneapolis, where we can’t get the PiPress delivered. Bob Collins lives in Woodbury, where they do. He saw it first and posted about 9 a.m. Sunday (I volunteer at a Farmer’s Market then), and that’s how I first found out about it. So when I wrote about it shortly after noon, I felt I owed him a hat tip.

I read the PiPress regularly through the web site and RSS, but the ad wasn’t either of those places. Gotta love print!

4. Submitted by Andrew Mok on 10/05/2009 - 03:25 pm.

The ad was on page A14 in the Sunday 10/4/09 electronic edition.

5. Submitted by David Brauer on 10/05/2009 - 03:52 pm.

Hi Andrew –

Yes, that’s where I ended up getting the image from. But I didn’t fire up my computer before leaving the house at 7 a.m., though I did check Twitter & RSS at the market. In the morning, e-edition usually comes last after RSS/web and print.

6. Submitted by Adam Platt on 10/05/2009 - 10:17 pm.

David,

This is very disappointing to learn that you are not awake 24 hours a day the Internet to digest all the articles and advertising. Sunday is just another day on the Internet. We all pay a lot of money to read your blog and when you shirk your responsibilities by volunteering at the Linden Hills Rendering Plant, or whatever that is, we are left with no choice but to consider all the other media blogs in town and put our patronage up for bid.

Hope you’ve learned your lesson.