Longtime Mpls.St.Paul editor Brian Anderson enters hospice care

There are very few journalists who have held their jobs in this market for a quarter-century; Brian Anderson is one. We writers, photographers and designers who have cycled through Mpls.St.Paul‘s pages over that time found a thoroughly decent, thoroughly reserved, thoroughly civic-minded person — the precise opposite of the narcissistic, screaming, sensationalist editor.

And now Brian writes, with the same grace he’s shown professionally, that his acute, double-barreled leukemia will not allow a marrow transplant.

“So I’m down to one option,” he noted on his CaringBridge journal Wednesday night, “Go home, live life to the fullest that my disease and body will allow, knowing full well that the healthy moments may not last for more than four weeks.”

With typical pluck, he adds, “I’m also anticipating a helluva good February,” and I’m sure he’d appreciate hearing from all of those whose lives he’s touched.

1. Submitted by David DeCoux on 01/28/2010 - 09:23 am.

So sorry to hear about this, we get MSPMAG at home and Brian has long been one of our favorites.

Brian, our prayers are with you.

2. Submitted by William Souder on 01/28/2010 - 09:30 am.

I met Brian Anderson when I was a young reporter just out of J-school. A couple of decades later I worked for him. In many ways we are polar opposites: He’s reserved and cautious; I’m neither. Somehow this led to a mutual respect spanning many years. I don’t think I ever met a nicer, more decent guy. Here’s wishing you well, Brian.

3. Submitted by Jodie Ahern on 01/28/2010 - 10:58 am.

I’m so sorry to hear how ill Brian is. I’d like to leave a message on his CaringBridge site, but I did an unsuccessful search of his name; could you please post the site name so we can send him our messages? I so agree with Souder and Robson; Brian is as decent a human being as I’ve ever met.

4. Submitted by Jodie Ahern on 01/28/2010 - 11:36 am.

Oh, I didn’t notice you had a link. Thanks.
    Jodie

5. Submitted by Neal Gendler on 01/28/2010 - 12:45 pm.

I recall Brian with fondness from our young days at the Minneapolis Morning Tribune. As others have said, Brian is a gentle, steady soul. He also was a solid reporter well-served in his work by his unflappable demeanor, and it was a pleasure to work with him.
    I am very sorry that his health is giving out at what, despite the calendar, feels like such a young age.
    Perhaps he will be blessed with a period of remission. If not, I hope Brian will find some comfort in knowing he’ll leave us with feelings of affection and both professional and personal respect.

6. Submitted by Adam Platt on 01/28/2010 - 02:04 pm.

Britt’s words magnificently and eloquently capture Brian’s professional and personal essence. Would that the same things be said of our journalistic lives.

7. Submitted by Hannah on 01/28/2010 - 03:22 pm.

This is the “CaringBridge” site for Brian:

8. Submitted by Nancy Hokkanen on 01/29/2010 - 12:16 am.

Wise. Witty. Laid-back. Jocular. Considerate. Analytical. Insightful. Brian Anderson, you are beyond compare.