MPR bids adieu to the ‘Q’ in NewsQ

For all of you (well, OK, us) who mocked the “Q” in MPR NewsQ … MPR now agrees with you.

MPR spokeswoman Christina Schmitt confirms that “NewsQ is being phased out in the next couple of weeks as we transition to MPR News for our website.”

Earlier this month, I got a hint this was coming from an eagle-eyed State Fair-goer who sent me the photo at right. You will notice the distinct lack of Q-osity.

According to a staff memo from news boss Chris Worthington:

As we extend across platforms and consider partnerships, it’s best that all our content be branded MPR News. In fact, we’ve seen research recently that confirms high recognition and respect for MPR News, significantly higher than MPR NewsQ.

Yes! That’s what we were trying to tell you last summer! What were you people thinking?

MPR NewsQ was hatched, offering more news, blogs, multimedia and interactivity. It was meant to signal a product distinct from our radio news. Today, we believe it’s critical that one brand — MPR News — stand for one thing across all platforms: high quality, important journalism.

Our long regional excess-letter nightmare is over.

1. Submitted by matt wells on 09/29/2010 - 11:42 am.

Looks like mnpost.com is for sale. Get to it.

2. Submitted by Matthew Steele on 09/29/2010 - 11:59 am.

So now that the Q is gone, the MPR bubble logo takes the cake as the #1 odd thing at MPR. But at least I’m not reminded of their logo at the top of every hour like I was with the Q.

3. Submitted by John Reinan on 09/29/2010 - 01:43 pm.

I always kind of liked NewsQ as a name. Reminded me of the old newspaper days when stories waiting to be edited went into a “queue.”

4. Submitted by Hal Davis on 09/29/2010 - 03:10 pm.

When they first announced it, I thought they were saying “News Cube,” which sounded sort of three-dimensional for radio.

I also thought of the character “Q” on “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” who could travel through multiple dimensions from “The Q Continuum.”

Even Kling couldn’t claim that.

Q, R.I.P.

5. Submitted by Kristine Olson on 09/29/2010 - 08:50 pm.

Hallelujah and good riddance to the Q. Thanks for these awesome “breaking updates.” I do tend to hear most of the local media news first from you. Appreciate your coverage!

6. Submitted by John Hakes on 09/29/2010 - 11:53 pm.

Will the questions that were asked and comment strings be available somewhere via an archive?

These contained a lot of good info, and it would be a waste if they were just shucked into cyberspace.

7. Submitted by Joe Schweigert on 09/30/2010 - 09:44 am.

haha, i remember the time i wasted looking for mprnewsqueue.com, i was sure that was what they were talking about.

but…i was probably just confusing myself with netflix.

8. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 09/30/2010 - 11:31 am.

I can’t believe they held on to it this long. I was REALLY annoyed when they adopted the Q because I felt they were IGNORANTLY appropriating “queer” – remember that short time when Outfront was Q Minnesota? – know your audience, MPR —

signed, a queer mpr member

9. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 09/30/2010 - 11:32 am.

how much consulting fee did they pay to add the q? how much are they paying to have it surgically removed? will there be a scar?

10. Submitted by Jason Walker on 09/30/2010 - 03:08 pm.

I could never remember if it was NewsQ or NewsCue. Therefore, I never visited. Glad to see they got rid of it.
    As for the consultant fees, it can’t be as bad as when I was at the University of Kansas and they paid over $80,000 for a consultant who changed the logo from a straight, block KU to a KU in Trajan font with the bottom leg of the K slipping slightly below the U, the logo they still use today. Whew, that was money well spent.

11. Submitted by Jo Marsicano on 10/01/2010 - 12:13 pm.

Well, give MPR a break on this one, I say.

When you launch a marketing effort, you do your best, make your best estimation, and try it on for size. You cannot predict how it’s going to go over, no matter how much you might want to or try to.

Okay, so they tried the “Q” and it didn’t go over great, maybe, but that’s the way it is sometimes. And hey — let’s give them credit for pulling the “Q” not too long after they launched it. I mean, it’s not like they tried to hang onto it for a long time. They made an assessment and course corrected.

It’s not like they failed at some great journalistic endeavor — this was just a marketing effort that they found did not go over great.

I say let’s keep the focus on what truly matters at the core, which is MPR’s journalism.