Dailies: 90-plus percent of Snowmageddon Sunday papers delivered on Sunday

In Snowmageddon’s wake, just how many Sunday Star Tribune and Pioneer Press subscribers got their papers on Sunday?

According to Pioneer Press, 93.5 percent. For the Star Tribune, 98 percent.

Strib circulation V.P. Cindy Doege calls her fleet’s effort “heroic” and says the gaps were mostly in poorly plowed areas of Minneapolis and some outlying areas such as New Prague. North and Southwest Minneapolis were particularly tricky, as were neighborhoods near the airport and into Richfield.

Pioneer Press spokeswoman Pat Effenberger says remaining subscribers are getting their papers today; the same is true for the Strib, notes Doege. In many cases, distribution agents concentrated on getting the Monday papers out this morning, and are circling back to fill in the Sunday gaps.

Doege says even if you get your Sunday paper a day late, the paper will give you a credit if you ask.

1. Submitted by Tim Walker on 12/13/2010 - 01:37 pm.

I live within the St. Paul city limits, and I did not receive Sunday’s PiPress, nor did I receive Monday’s edition (as of 11 a.m. Monday).
    (And this MinnPost story has reminded me to fill in a service request at the PiPress website.)

2. Submitted by Chris Clonts on 12/13/2010 - 01:40 pm.

The Pioneer Press also featured a prominent notice at the top of TwinCities.com inviting those who didn’t have their papers yet (we acknowledged the possible delays) to access the E-edition for free.

So those who prefer the newspaper format were able to get it for the day if they had net access. Again, for free.

That notice, which ran from 5 a.m. to midnight, also included three ways to let our customer service department know about missed papers.

3. Submitted by ken roberts on 12/13/2010 - 01:47 pm.

Unfortunately, as of 7:00 AM today, I had not received my Sunday nor my Monday Star Tribune papers at my sleeply suburban location – where the streets were plowed by 7:00 AM Sunday.

4. Submitted by Mark Gisleson on 12/13/2010 - 02:13 pm.

Did you ask them if they were going to dock the carriers for the undelivered newspapers? Both newspapers have had medieval policies on dunning carriers whenever subscribers “claim” to have not gotten a newspaper.

It also doesn’t hurt to reminder subscribers to tip extra this Christmas if they did get a newspaper despite blizzards and sub-zero temps.

5. Submitted by Dana DeMaster on 12/13/2010 - 02:43 pm.

I must really be in the lucky 2 percent! Not only did we not receive the Sunday Strib (which I didn’t really expect given the circumstances), we didn’t get today’s paper and the plows have yet to even touch our neighborhood at all.

I was helping a neighbor shovel out yesterday when we still hoped of seeing a plow and we saw the PiPress delivery driver’s car abandoned in a snow bank, completely full of papers.

6. Submitted by frank watson on 12/13/2010 - 02:51 pm.

First of all I’m amazed that anyone received a paper on Sunday so for those carriers that made it through, great job. Secondly I’ve spoke to 4 others and only 1 of the 4 received a paper on Sunday including myself (didn’t receive it). The only person that did lives up in Stacy. 93.5 to 98%, I just don’t know….

7. Submitted by Brian Simon on 12/13/2010 - 02:59 pm.

We did not receive our Strib nor NYT on Sunday; I didn’t think to check this AM. We’re in one of those ‘near the airport’ neighborhoods that didn’t see a plow until mid-day Sunday (on the e-w street) and 5:30 Am today (on the n-s Ave).

8. Submitted by Susan Peterson on 12/13/2010 - 04:36 pm.

I’m in Columbia Heights, and not only did I get my Sunday paper by 8 a.m., the carrier waded through waist-deep snow to put in neatly on my very snowy doorstep. Great job!

9. Submitted by Hal Davis on 12/13/2010 - 05:36 pm.

To my amazement, I received Sunday editions of both dailies on Sunday morning, and my Minneapolis walk had not been shoveled. The PiPress was leaning against the door; the Strib was lying flat atop the snow a little bit from the door.

I let my Strib carrier know I appreciated his service with a larger tip than usual this season.

10. Submitted by David Stovall on 12/13/2010 - 06:41 pm.

Our street was plowed but no Star Tribune until later in the day. Fortunately we subscribe to the Star Tribune eEdition so could download the newspaper facsimile and continue on with our morning ritual of coffee and newspaper (on the iPad).

11. Submitted by rolf westgard on 12/14/2010 - 05:29 am.

No Star Trib on our street Sunday. 98%????

12. Submitted by Tim Walker on 12/14/2010 - 09:00 am.

Chris (#2):
    Such a notice did not appear on the mobile version of the PiPress website.