MPR hires Kevyn Burger as newscaster

Good news for friends and fans of Kevyn Burger, the former WCCO and KSTP TV reporter and MyTalk107 host: She has a new gig with Minnesota Public Radio.

MPR says Burger will do the 6-11 p.m. shifts Saturday and Sunday, and fill in other shifts as necessary.

Kevyn Burger
Kevyn Burger

Says Burger, “I’ve been training for the past few weeks and will solo for the first time this weekend. Don’t need to train to put together a newscast and read the news — that I can do. I’ve been working on running the board and getting comfortable with the technical aspects of the job. Good to learn some new tricks. It’s a thrill to be at a place where such good work is being done.”

Burger basically lost her MyTalk job for being too substantial, so it’s great that she’s working for a real news organization again, though it is a shame her 100,000-watt personality will be under wraps. MPR would be wise to let her fill in on one of its interview shows — it would add spice without sacrificing wisdom.

In addition to MPR, Burger also does freelance writing and broadcast work and a weekly podcast with her bud, former WCCO-AM talk show host Ruth Koscielak.

1. Submitted by David Stovall on 08/12/2011 - 09:42 am.

2. Submitted by Scott Stansbarger on 08/12/2011 - 09:52 am.

Welcome, Kevyn! I’ve always enjoyed her reporting.

3. Submitted by Pat Sirek on 08/12/2011 - 11:22 am.

YAY. It’ll be great to have Kevyn back on the air again, where folks can appreciate how smart she is!

4. Submitted by dan buechler on 08/12/2011 - 11:40 am.

Hope to hear some of your humor again!

5. Submitted by Patty Simondet on 08/12/2011 - 06:33 pm.

Welcome back to the airwaves, Kevyn! You have been missed–and I sincerely hope that MPR will have you fill in for some of the week day shows, too!

6. Submitted by Beth Hawkins on 08/13/2011 - 03:15 pm.

This fan of Kevyn’s couldn’t be happier!

7. Submitted by Allison Sandve on 08/15/2011 - 09:58 am.

Wonderful news! Kevyn has been missed!

8. Submitted by Erica Mauter on 08/15/2011 - 01:02 pm.

That’s great news! I agree, can’t wait to hear her guesting on Morning Edition.

9. Submitted by Lynnea Forness on 08/15/2011 - 02:53 pm.

That’s why I don’t listen to My Talk – the lack of substance. I’m happy for Kevyn.

10. Submitted by David Larson on 08/17/2011 - 12:08 pm.

Scott Pelley takes over CBS Evening News, Kevyn Burger starts taking over MPR…Revenge of the DFW Metroplex! Absolutely delighted by this news.

11. Submitted by Nancy Schlesinger on 08/20/2011 - 12:46 pm.

Wonderful – I can’t wait to listen to her again.

12. Submitted by Becky Henry on 08/31/2011 - 01:01 pm.

Was listening last night and was so pleasantly surprised to hear Kevyn Burger’s voice on air! Wondered whey I’d been and am happy to see she recently joined MPR! Great move, this woman of substance has talent and wisdom to offer this station that isn’t afraid to take on serious issues.

Will be listening more and hoping she gets even more airtime.

I was fortunate to be interviewed by Kevyn a couple of times in her early days at 107 and she did a beautiful job addressing a topic that not a lot of people want to talk about.

Grateful listener,
    Becky Henry

13. Submitted by Mitch Berg on 09/06/2011 - 03:28 pm.

I’ve known Kevyn since we both worked at Hubbard in the ’80s. I thought she was way too good for ChickTalk 107…

…and I think she’s too good for weekend news, too.

They could replace Kerri Miller with Kevyn, and improve KNOW.

A lot.