Starting salary: $75,000
Location: Minneapolis, MN
MinnPost is hiring a managing editor. This is a senior role at the organization, and we’re looking for someone with demonstrated leadership skills, news judgment and a commitment to the highest journalism ethics. Reporting to the editor, this person will need to be equally comfortable managing writers, line-editing stories and conceiving of strategic ways our nonprofit newsroom can improve and expand our brand of in-depth, enterprise journalism.
In this role, you will:
- Supervise, coach, and develop story ideas with several reporters, contract writers, freelancers and interns; line-edit their work to MinnPost standards
- Oversee our Community Voices section, our version of an op-ed page, including soliciting and assessing submissions, choosing which commentaries to publish and editing the pieces for publication
- Assess, edit and publish Letters to MinnPost
- Assist the editor in managing the newsroom; work collaboratively to craft strategies that further the organization’s mission
- Work closely with other editors and creative director to manage MinnPost’s publication schedule
- Help track, prepare and submit entries to relevant journalism contests
- Represent MinnPost at various live events, including moderating panel discussions or speaking to organizations, university classes, etc.
We’re looking for someone who is collaborative, organized and ambitious — and driven by our shared belief that rigorous, in-depth journalism is crucial to a strong democracy.
- 7+ years of journalism experience, with at least three years of experience managing writers
- Outstanding editing, coaching, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to multitask and work on deadlines
- Experience in WordPress or similar content management systems
- Self-starting, proactive attitude
There are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who hold important skills we haven’t listed. Don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.
- Health insurance
- 401(k) with employer match
- Flexible work hours
- 15 paid days off and 10 paid holidays
- Short term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Options for dental, vision, and long term disability, and supplemental life insurance
Since its founding in 2007, MinnPost has established itself as one of the nation’s largest and most successful regional nonprofit news organizations. Central to our work is our focus on writing about civic and cultural issues with depth, clarity and context, providing coverage that gives our readers a deeper understanding of the critical challenges and dynamics shaping life in Minnesota.
While we’re more mature than a start-up, we’re often called to wear many hats and jump in to help each other when the situation calls for it. We’re committed to maintaining a healthy work-life balance and providing a place for staff to feel supported in their professional growth and achieve ambitious goals.