Community Voices features opinion pieces from a wide variety of authors and perspectives. (Submission Guidelines)

‘RNC 9’ wanted ‘more reflective, solemn protest’ against Iraq war

Sunday saw the first arrests of peaceful protesters at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul. Here’s how the arrests of the “RNC 9” came about:

As plans began to be announced for protest marches and rallies against the ongoing Iraq war and “against the Republican agenda,” a few of us in the local peace community in the Twin Cities grew uncomfortable with the style and tenor of some of the protests.
Although we are as strongly opposed to the war as many other groups, some of us wished to have a more reflective and solemn protest against the loss of life and physical and psychological destruction of both soldiers and civilians this war has wrought. This war had been supported by both major political parties and is not just a “Republican” issue.

My friend Dr. David Harris, an active member of Veterans for Peace, shared these concerns and generated the idea of a silent march carrying symbolic tombstones with the photos and names of dead U.S. soldiers and Iraqi civilians killed in the war. Our mutual friend and peacemaker, Sami Rasouli, an Iraqi-American and founder of the Muslim Peacemaker Team, provided photos he had taken during the war of some of the enormous numbers of Iraqi casualties that he has witnessed firsthand.

A drum cadence and readings
David’s idea was to march to the Xcel Center, carrying the tombstones with just a drum cadence and the reading of the names of the dead. He also felt the need to include an option in the march for those who felt called to supplement their protest with an act of nonviolent civil disobedience. Marchers were told that if they wished to risk arrest, they could nonviolently continue beyond the legal route of the march and attempt to carry their tombstones to the convention site itself. David was public and clear with both the marchers and the police about these intentions and the risks involved.

Before the start of the march, only four expressed an interest and willingness to commit to the civil-disobedience portion of the march, with one saying she would like to do so but wasn’t sure she’d have the physical stamina to do so. So, initially, three of us chose to branch off the route to an area scouted out in advance, where it appeared there was an opening in the fence.

When we approached the opening, it turned out to be a swinging gate to allow vehicles to pass, and the gates were quickly shut and secured as we slowly approached. As I entered the area, I noticed a gap under the fenced-off area where I thought we might be able to squeeze under, and so I told the other two to follow me. Given my physical size, it was somewhat of a chore to squeeze under the fencing, but after I managed it, I waited for the other two. When we had cleared it, I noticed to my chagrin that we were “boxed in” by fencing all around us, except for a rear building entrance on one side.

One section wasn’t properly secured
However, on closer inspection I discovered that one section of the fence wasn’t properly secured and could possibly be lifted off its hinge pins and removed to the side. We lifted the heavy 4′ x 10′ panel up, and as I moved the section to the side, at least a half dozen law enforcement officers rushed to the site from inside the perimeter to prevent our access. I gently pushed the fence as they struggled to close the breach. I told the officers that we were committed to nonviolence and had no intention of injuring anyone; we just wanted “to go to the Xcel Center to deliver a letter and documents to President Bush.” (Earlier that morning, I had written an open letter to the president, calling him to immediately end this war.)

Needless to say, the police were more concerned with their security perimeter. After it became clear that we would be unable to proceed further in a nonviolent manner, we decided to remain where we were. We were also pleasantly surprised to find that three fellow marchers had joined us. I was glad to have their gentle spirits with us!

As at least a dozen police officers in riot gear with long wooden batons quickly established themselves between us and the fence, I then noticed that three additional friends and joined us on “the wrong side of the law.” Sister Betty McKenzie, a nun who is 78, had crawled under the fence along with Mary Vaughn and Jeanne Hynes. All three women have been faithful peace activists and active members of AlliantACTION, a local group that has vigiled weekly for the past 12 years at the headquarters of a war profiteer, Alliant Techsystems. So that completed our group of nine.

As the police regrouped and officers were deciding what to do with their caged prey, Mary decided to lead us in song. “Down by the Riverside,” “Let It Be,” “Give Peace a Chance” and even a spirited solo of James Brown’s classic, “I Feel Good” rang out. One of our group asked me to read aloud my letter to the president so the surrounding police could hear it.

I obliged.

Arrested with a question mark
After what seemed to be 15-20 minutes, a police commander came to say, “You know you are under arrest?” Actually, other police must have been a little lax in their training as that was the first we were notified that we were “arrested.” We had a pleasant conversation with him, informing him of our commitment to nonviolence and our intent to deliver the letter and documents to the convention site. He said that wasn’t going to happen and asked if we would “cooperate” with the arrest procedure. David, ever the diplomat, responded “of course,” but then quickly added, “Actually, we might not cooperate but we are certainly nonviolent.”

In an act of supreme irony, David was the first to be shackled with a set of pink handcuffs! I told him how proud Media Benjamin and her Code Pink group would be if they could see him now. (Media and Code Pink members had marched with us before we veered off-route.) I had to settle for black handcuffs and the officer cooperated with my request to not make them too tight because I suffer from carpal tunnel. He was very respectful, and all of the officers responded to our peaceableness in a professional and respectful manner. A number of the officers responded positively to David’s ready identity as a military vet since he proudly had worn his Veterans for Peace T-shirt. I had chosen to wear my LA Catholic Worker shirt with a Dorothy Day quote: “The only solution is Love” on it. Jeanne wore her NO WAR T-shirt, which included “Our God is Love; Our Gospel is Peace.”

The booking process began in the building we had come behind: Landmark Center. We were searched and patted down and then photographed alongside our arresting officer with a white board declaring our names, birthdates, and case numbers. Our metal handcuffs were replaced with sturdy plastic flexi-cuffs and we were herded out to a waiting police van to be transported to the Ramsey County Jail for the rest of the booking process.

Treated with respect and dignity
I later found out that Sister Betty collapsed while being processed and was caught and helped into a wheelchair. Mary informed us that she thought Betty was recovering fine. We later discovered that they kept Jeanne and Betty at the first location and completed their booking process there so they wouldn’t have to be transported elsewhere. Again, we were treated with respect and dignity.

After having our property put in plastic bags, we were fingerprinted and booked. After receiving a citation for “trespass: refusing to leave the premises of another,” the police put us back into a van with stainless benches and a divider that reminded me of a cattle truck. They drove us a block or two away from the jail and gave us directions about how to walk back to the State Capitol, our starting place. We were given our property back at that point so we were able to contact our families and friends to let them know we were OK.

The citation indicates that we will be contacted by mail for our court appearance and, I know from previous experience, that we can be fined and get up to three months’ jail time if convicted. But that is for the next leg of this journey for peace. We must end this war!

Steve Clemens of Minneapolis is a peace activist and member of the Community of St. Martin. He also serves on the board of the Pax Christi Twin Cities Area. In 2002, he was a member of the Iraq Peace Team, which traveled to Baghdad to express solidarity with the Iraqis.

Want to add your voice?

If you’re interested in joining the discussion by writing a Community Voices article, email Susan Albright at salbright [at] minnpost [dot] com.

You can also learn about all our free newsletter options.

Comments (1)

  1. Submitted by Beryl John-Knudson on 09/02/2008 - 09:42 am.

    Established…Veterans For Peace are not one of the “bad guys” here:

    I have a profound respect for “Veterans For Peace”, and after reading Steve Clemens story, I am reminded of the words of another Clemens, named Samuel…”Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet gives on the heel that has crushed it.”

    Maybe forgiveness isn’t suggested in the telling here, and although being one sitting passively on the sidelines lately, I find myself championing a stronger message and wondering?

    Certainly demonstration peacefully conceived, peacefully activated and somewhat peacefully responded to by existing authorities…surely these actions will move ant hills.

    But we’re looking at Civil Liberties now; the very roots of our democratic society…and those inherant liberties are handcuffed (plastic or metal; same intent) to a mountain of abuse; here, and Iraq etc.

    Where do we go next? Under another fence that ends with another fence?

Leave a Reply