Community Voices features opinion pieces from a wide variety of authors and perspectives. (Submission Guidelines)

Given the stakes, ‘OK, boomer’ attitudes are understandable

OK Boomer sweatshirt
Shannon O’Connor’s OK BOOMER hoodie

On my way home from a recent trip, I splurged on some moderately pricey French skin-care products in a duty-free shop. As the approximately 28-year-old sales associate handed me my purchase, she nonchalantly said, “It must be really great to be one of those boomers who can afford this stuff.”

It was extremely early in the morning and I hadn’t had caffeine yet so I was quite tempted to say something akin to what Yoda told Luke Skywalker in “Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi,” that being “when 900 years you reach, look so good, you will not.” But I remembered that I was not in the United States, and as the old lady, I thought it useful to exercise mah-tour restraint. I just said, well, one of the good things about being old is that you can finally afford high-buck skin care. I don’t believe the associate thought me funny. I also wanted to tell her that while technically a boomer, I actually belong to that supposedly pessimistic group born between approximately 1957 and 1965 called Generation Jones. But I just walked away.

A new level of wince

When I sat down to await my plane, I went through my Twitter feed and saw more than a few tweets with the “OK, boomer” response that has become widely present on TikTok and other social media within the past few months. And I thought, all right, the much discussed “war” between millennials and boomers, a battle questioned by both millennials and boomers, has moved to a new level of wince.

While I was still ticked off with receiving what I was taught all those eons ago to be poor customer service, I summoned any age-related wisdom I might have had readily accessible and thought, hell, young people, whether they be millennials, Generation X, Y, Z or Vulcan, probably do have some right to hold varying degrees of anger and resentment toward baby boomers.

Though the oldest boomers will turn 74 next year, many of them remain in full-time jobs, in numbers not seen for a great many years, jobs some millennials and others think should go to those much younger. Of course, many boomers are still in the workforce for a number of reasons, including: parenthood that occurred years later than that experienced by earlier generations; divorce and remarriage costs most of their parents didn’t assume; worries about future Social Security and Medicare cuts; still-active mortgages on houses that cost more than their parents dreamed possible for anything not qualifying as chateaus; and, the expenses incurred with helping children finance higher education. Not to mention subsidizing their children’s post-college basement or childhood bedroom residence lives — lives lived as such in too many cases due to stratospheric higher education and housing costs as well as shortages of good entry-level jobs, costs and shortages that seem more severe in larger, more economically robust cities. To me, some of those reasons justify at least some measure of the angry old people behavior that makes some younger people spout “OK, boomer.” Or worse. And they also at least partially justify the anger and frustration that “OK, boomer” conveys.

Generational divides: nothing new

Of course, generational divides have occurred for as long as some humans started surviving beyond age 45. Older boomers know from their 1960s youth that they didn’t want to trust anyone over 30, because if they did, such aged ones (including the most successful members of the World War II Greatest Generation) might have, oh, increased involvement in the Vietnam War. Or made the pollution that existed in places such as Los Angeles even more putrid and opaque. When I started my career in the 1980s, I and many of my female peers deeply resented having to wear the Imitation Man floppy bowties and dowdy skirted suits that bosses born during the Great Depression defined as proper office attire. Though I can’t imagine anyone my age saying anything like “OK, silent generation” in public forums because that generation was often anything but silent when it came to enacting stern employment discipline.

Photo by Aaron Fahrmann
Mary Stanik
But what may make today’s generation-war matters worthy of much more serious consideration (including attempts at reconciliation) is the fact that all of us, no matter our age, live on a troubled planet housing billions more people than it did during the 1960s, or 1980s. Billions more people who face a great deal more economic, social, and climatological peril than was present or even imagined (by most) 40 or 50 years ago. Will most now older than 50 be around when these perils that weren’t entirely caused or cured by baby boomers hit their miserable peaks? Probably not. Can boomers do more with the money we still earn (or the inheritances many received from frugal Great Depression-raised parents) to not hand such a ravaged orb to our children and grandchildren? Of course. Can millennials and other youth put their idealism, energy and enthusiasm to work on real solutions that go beyond insults? They can indeed. Many are doing so as the rest of us sit and kvetch about that “other” generation having no respect.

So … OK (various generations). Let’s all of us get to work. Because, as it is, neither the sharpest retorts nor the ability to afford the priciest French skin-care products will get us to a place any of us want to inhabit.

Mary Stanik, a writer and public-relations professional, lives in St. Paul. She is the author of the novel “Life Erupted.”

WANT TO ADD YOUR VOICE?

If you’re interested in joining the discussion, add your voice to the Comment section below — or consider writing a letter or a longer-form Community Voices commentary. (For more information about Community Voices, see our Submission Guidelines.)

1. Submitted by Connor OKeefe on 11/19/2019 - 08:31 am.

“OK Boomer” is not a new thing, neither is the appropriate response.

2. Submitted by William Hunter Duncan on 11/19/2019 - 08:42 am.

As a Gen Xer, I have great hopes my generation will turn this society upside down, put corporations and banks in their place, vastly expand opportunity for working people, tax pollution, soil loss, automation, AI, and rentier income and less labor, and pull back on the total eternal war machine.

• Submitted by Matt Haas on 11/19/2019 - 09:36 am.

Nah, we Xennials (a real term, apparently) will be the ones to save you all, Gen X skepticism, without the apathy, and millenial drive without the silly purity tests and Pollyannish idealism. You can thank us later…

• Submitted by Rachel Kahler on 11/22/2019 - 08:43 am.

I can’t tell whether I’m an Xer or an Xennial. While I fit the description you provided, for the most part, I’ve kind of gotten to the point of disgust with the Boomers and Millennials. To the point where I’m considering just sitting back with popcorn to watch while they take each other out, and Xers can finally get something done outside of the double boomer sandwich. *sigh* Maybe I’m too cynical to be an Xennial.

• Submitted by Kurt Anderson on 11/19/2019 - 11:29 am.

Circa 50 years ago: “As a Baby Boomer, I have great hopes my generation will turn this society upside down, put corporations and banks in their place, vastly expand opportunity for working people, tax pollution, soil loss, automation, AI, and [?] income and less labor, and pull back on the total eternal war machine.”
      Well, at least we handed that on to you. This being the 50th anniversary of the “don’t trust anyone over 30” comment, I guess what goes around comes around.

• Submitted by John Richard on 11/19/2019 - 11:48 am.

William, I wish you the best in your endeavor to change the world. Of course, I can remember when Boomers were saying the same thing. Sorry I won’t be able to check in on your progress some 40 years or so from now.

• Submitted by William Hunter Duncan on 11/20/2019 - 08:22 am.

So from the two boomers who responded to my comment, your point is I should just accept that banks and corporations and billionaires will hollow out America, the eternal war machine will grind on, and regular Americans will continue to be pushed into third-world status while pollution gets ever more systemic?

Well, if Gen X and the Xennials turn this country upside down, we aren’t going to try to do it with flower power.

• Submitted by Dave Carlson on 11/26/2019 - 03:28 pm.

As a Boomer, most of the fellow Boomers I knew and hung out with had a sense of idealism that helped change many of the prevailing attitudes of the “good old days” of the 1950s… with massive protests to promote peace and civil rights, and general advocacy of women’s rights (remember, the efforts to pass the ERA which fell just a couple states short of ratification?), clean air (remember, choking smog and black lung diseases?), clean water (remember, the Cuyahoga River on fire?), voting rights (remember, poll taxes?) and justice equality (remember, 10-year prison sentences for minor pot possession?). Many of us are very disappointed that much work remains on all these issues, but many of us tried to enlist positive change through voting (few that I knew of my age voted for Reagan) and support of social and environmental organizations. Plenty of blame to go around to all “generations” but know that many of us do care about the future of this planet and all its inhabitants, and not just for the time while we are here…

3. Submitted by Pat Terry on 11/19/2019 - 09:42 am.

I love OK Boomer. The reaction to it shows that its not Millennials that are overly sensitive and easily offended. Its the Boomers that are fragile.

• Submitted by lisa miller on 11/19/2019 - 04:27 pm.

Ok zippy everyone gets a trophy. Seriously, some are legit complaints; then again many boomers faced a tough job market in the ’80’s, couldn’t afford housing until older and then lost money in 2005. And then for the older ones there was a draft and no pell grants.

• Submitted by Matt Haas on 11/19/2019 - 09:07 pm.

Last I checked, it wasn’t Millenials handing out said trophies, but hey, whatever helps you feel better.

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 11/20/2019 - 09:02 am.

There was no draft for me (I didn’t even have to register), and it was not especially difficult to get a deferment. Pell Grants were around in my day, but college was also much, much more affordable (an airline mechanic and part-time bank clerk could afford send all three of their kids to college without needing grants or loans).

• Submitted by Scott Walters on 11/22/2019 - 03:36 pm.

“No Pell Grants” is a particularly sick joke. Boomers pretty much got a free education, compared to today’s generation. The oldest of the X-ers did pretty well (that’s me) but not as well as the Boomers. Those born after the mid ’70s have gotten screwed. And that’s the way it is, Friday, November 11, 2019.

• Submitted by Jackson Cage on 11/20/2019 - 08:38 am.

I use “OK Millenial” just as often. Neither is particularly productive.

4. Submitted by Neal Rovick on 11/19/2019 - 10:37 am.

What to make of Bernie Sanders, the oldest candidate of all (78 years). OK Boomer?

I am extremely wary of electing any one who is over 60 or 65 because the world of the future needs to be addressed now by people who have to live in it. The news of the future has not gotten any better in the last few years and a serious change of direction is needed.

The tribulations of the young, whom for most in many ways, have been shielded from the worst that past generations have faced are discontented by the gap between expectations and reality. This is true around the world, especially with the visions of people living “better” lives immediately available 24 hours a day through the little slab of electronics. It takes a grand historical blindness to not realize that the past 60 years are a historical anomaly in the lives of ordinary people, and that there are many forces at work to try to bring us back to the not-so-good “good old days”.

It takes votes and work by millions to hope to achieve the change you want–and remember that famous boomer song, “you can’t always get what you want…”, because it is certainly true.

5. Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 11/19/2019 - 10:48 am.

I second Pat Terry’s comment. I’m looking at the outrage boomers are broadcasting and all I see is privilege and entitlement reacting to a well deserved and long delayed challenge. No sir, you don’t to do stupid and hurtful things and float on like nothing happened. And no, nobody is actually “required” to accept your apology and let you float on like nothing happened. And no, our generation doesn’t get fail for decades and then stand around and act like the depository of wisdom and masters of reality. Do you see the world we’re passing on to these young people? Seriously, step aside.

• Submitted by Kurt Anderson on 11/19/2019 - 11:42 am.

Stupid and hurtful things: losing 55,000 of our friends in Vietnam
      Privilege and entitlement: in addition to funding our grandparents’ and parents’ Social Security, being the fist generation to pay it forward for our own retirement
      Nothing happened: watching with frustration as those older and younger than us elected Ronald Reagan to the White House
      Long delayed challenge: the targets of stereotypical comments like this have changed over the decades, but the bias gene is still in full dismal bloom.

• Submitted by Pat Terry on 11/19/2019 - 04:50 pm.

Pay it forward? Are you kidding? The greedy and selfish Boomer generation has absolutely screwed subsequent generations.

• Submitted by Roberta Wirth-Feeney on 11/19/2019 - 04:55 pm.

Well said, Kurt. We boomers were the first generation as women to juggle careers and children. We broke glass ceilings in the workplace as women who demanded their jobs back after returning from(unpaid)maternity leave, a fight that younger women benefit from and take for granted. We graduated from college in STEM majors for the first time. We struggled finding jobs in the late 70’s-early 80’s due to a recession. We had a difficult time buying homes with double-digit interest rates. In short-boomers did not have it easy and the gains in women and minority rights were thanks to us.

• Submitted by Matt Haas on 11/19/2019 - 09:17 pm.

I’m sorry you lost friends in Vietnam, my retired parents were teenagers when it happened, and I’m not even a millenial, why do you expect them to care, it has exactly zero impact or meaning to their lives. I’ll be surprised if Social Security exists when I retire, in no small part due to the conservative revolution BOOMERS ushered in with the election of Reagan. What younger people do you wish to pass that blame to, the youngest among them were born in 1962. Thanks to Boomers, I’ve never had the privilege of experiencing an ACTUAL liberal federal government, millenials never even the thought of one, excuse us if we’d like to give it a try.

• Submitted by Frank Phelan on 11/20/2019 - 09:35 pm.

I recall, as a young adult, when the Boomers, who are now collecting Social Security checks, cynically laughed off the possibility of getting those same checks.

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 11/19/2019 - 04:38 pm.

Boomers (and yes, I am one) took advantage of a generous society and a booming economy, and then proceeded to dismantle both of them, when they “matured” and “thought about things differently.” Boomers helped elect Reagan, and were decisive in electing Clinton and Bush. Anyone too young to have been afforded the same advantages is dismissed as a whiner if they pronounce dissatisfaction.

Frankly, I appreciate millennials. In my neighborhood alone, they have given us dog-friendly businesses and a selection of taprooms. Things are looking good.

6. Submitted by Jim Arnold on 11/19/2019 - 12:00 pm.

“OK Boomer” – great name idea for a band. Probably all it’s good for. This generational warfare being waged based on arbitrary demographic cohorts is exhausting and distracting.

7. Submitted by Pat Berg on 11/19/2019 - 12:13 pm.

“Generation Jones”?

That was a new one on me!

8. Submitted by Neal Rovick on 11/19/2019 - 01:56 pm.

The problem with the “OK, Boomer” statement of dismissing an entire generation of people is attributing ill intent to the act of merely bumbling along in one’s own life, addressing the issues you, your family and neighbors face. This is the way the world has been, forever, with only the recent generations having the time, freedom, education, information, power and money to contemplate the longer arc.

Becoming woke is process of education and time.

9. Submitted by Joel Stegner on 11/19/2019 - 03:24 pm.

So as a boomer, I take no offense. Donald Trump shows our generation as its worst – very selfish. Example one – family instability. Our kids dealt with the consequences of our divorces, and are much more careful than us. Example two – child poverty. We have tolerated cuts to school funding and college financial aid and all abuse of poor adults that hurts their kids. Third example – violence. Make love not war hardly reflects how we have acted – we have wars around the world plus a country with extremely high gun ownership, murders and imprisonments.

So when we try to impose moral values, we lack credibility. Take a Biden rejecting recreational marijuana, from a generation that thinks if booze is good enough for me, I get to make that choice for you. Let go of it boomers. Young people are entitled to their osn ideas and choices.

10. Submitted by RB Holbrook on 11/19/2019 - 03:33 pm.

Nothing like overthinking a popular catch-phrase, is there?

#Zzzzzzz . . .

11. Submitted by kurt nelson on 11/19/2019 - 03:34 pm.

This pithy retort is brought to us by the same generation that brought us trigger warnings, and safe rooms – so I just consider the source.

• Submitted by Pat Terry on 11/19/2019 - 04:53 pm.

You are missing the irony here – its not Millennials that are sensitive and fragile – its the Boomers who can’t take a little pushback.

• Submitted by Jackson Cage on 11/20/2019 - 08:43 am.

Tell that to Lake Calhoun and Macalester College. The greatest effort Millenials expend is in being offended.

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 11/20/2019 - 09:03 am.

What about the boomers who are offended at the idea that anyone else is allowed to take offense at anything? There is a whole media industry built on that premise.

12. Submitted by Ray J Wallin on 11/19/2019 - 04:16 pm.

It’s about taking personal responsibility. ‘Ok Boomer’ is disrespectful and dismissive. If I were to say ‘Ok millennial,’ I too would be disrespectful. It’s an ad hominem remark that skirts addressing a particular issue.

Many have lost their compass as to what treating others with respect means.

• Submitted by Pat Terry on 11/19/2019 - 04:52 pm.

I agree – the Boomer generation has never taken personal responsibility. The Boomer generation has no compass as to what treating others with respect meana.

• Submitted by Ray J Wallin on 11/19/2019 - 09:55 pm.

Thanks. That’s perfect. You are applying an argument to a population instead of an individual. That’s the way discussions should go.

• Submitted by Neal Rovick on 11/20/2019 - 10:57 am.

….the Boomer generation has never taken personal responsibility…

Really? That’s a pretty ignorant statement from someone who probably learned the difference between “right and wrong”, good moral examples, good living habits, and the facts of this damaged world from some “boomer” that did give a damn.

You are casually dismissing those who made you who you are and made you care about what you do.

Care and concern was not invented by you or yours of the same age.

Or do you really think so?

Historical ignorance lives here.

• Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 11/20/2019 - 11:45 am.

Ray, long before a young woman in Australia coined the phrase: “OK boomer” boomers were referring to these young people as: “Snowflakes”. If you want respect, show respect, you’re not entitled to be disrespectful and dismissive without provoking a response. Boomer is the response you’ve provoked.

Neal,

” only the recent generations having the time, freedom, education, information, power and money to contemplate the longer arc.”

Yeah, if only Karl Marx, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Voltaire, Milton, and Socrates had had enough time on their hands to think about long arc’s imagine what might have been? What a lucky and unique generation these kids are eh?

“OK Boomer” isn’t actually an attack on an entire generation, it’s a response to individual behaviors being displayed by individual Boomers.

I’m a Boomer. I graduated High School in 1981. Since then every single major issue or crises that we faced with one exception (LGBTQ rights) has not only persisted without resolution but has actually gotten worse. We’ve upgraded from acid rain to global climate change. We’ve graduated from Ronald Reagan to Donald Trump. Abortion rights and voting rights are more restricted now than they were 40 years ago. Racism and sexism have made a comeback. We’ve fought how many wars? We’re still arguing about whether or not the Bible should be taught in science classes. I could go on but the conclusion is obvious… my generation took a moderately functioning democracy and turned it into a fiasco. About the only thing we didn’t do, was build a bunch more nuclear power plants. We went from impeaching a criminal president to electing a Neo-Fascist- bravo?

And if you want complain about “Snowflakes” go ahead… but who created these “snowflakes”? Who’s idea was it to “graduate” from Kindergarten? It all falls back Boomers one way another.

I’m happy see this generation find a voice of their own, and I applaud their retort.

• Submitted by Neal Rovick on 11/20/2019 - 10:28 pm.

You readily spin out the names of Karl Marx, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Voltaire, Milton, and Socrates because they are exceptional–get it?–they are the exceptions.

I will absolutely contend that the vast majority of people who ever have lived and ever will live bumble through their lives mainly concerned with themselves, their family and their nearest neighbors. For better or worse–the human monkey hasn’t changed that much yet.

And the opportunity to be woke has only become available with wide free access to the information and the agency to act on it. To deny the problems and faults is criminal in this age of information. But what is also clear is that the information for understanding the problems and analyzing and enacting the solutions is not born whole from the foreheads of the young but is built on the scaffolding of other generations.

(Perhaps some solutions even based on ideas from Karl Marx, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Voltaire, Milton, and Socrates.)

Get it, now? Otherwise, burn the books, shut down the schools, send the teachers to the field, wipe the discs clean, take an ax to the computers. Year zero again–hooray!!

We are slowly building a scaffolding across generations to climb out of the primordial slime. Some steps forward, some sliding back. It’s never linear progress.

If you don’t think 2019 is better than 1919, than 1819, 1719, 1619…you really need to do some studying before the books are burned.

• Submitted by Neal Rovick on 11/21/2019 - 08:16 am.

Things that didn’t exist pre-WW2 era: widespread electrification, widespread education beyond primary schools, ease of personal transportation, ease of communication, mass healthcare, Human rights were not a consideration, women were expected to be subservient, workers rights were a joke, there was no society wide social net, being different meant you had no place in society.

60-70 years ago was the beginning of the big transition.

And people reveled in the changes.

However, the size effect consequences of all of those changes for gigantic slices of population was not realized until the 60s, 70s.

But in general, common people lived better, easier lives than people had ever done anywhere in history. And not just in things, human rights were being addressed and promoted. You do remember that the federal desegregation of schools happened in the last

When to stop doing what ? All of these changes are inter-linked, with the center of most of the changes being electrification of the country.

Back when coal became the big thing–there were no solar panels, there was no ability to turn atoms into power, there wasn’t the technological finesse to make gas and wind turbines. But coal powered the modern post-WW2 era, and it is pretty difficult to overstate the changes those permitted in people’s lives.

These sorts of things built the world we now live in. It is why the use of coal persists around the world.

What the current challenge is addressing the size effects of that changed world.

Progress hasn’t been equal. You will note that change is most easily made in terms of technology now, but changes in the human monkey are harder to effect, but it is happening…

(quote)

….In the 1960s, almost half of white respondents in the US suggested they would move if a black family moved in next door. But the proportion of Americans reporting to the World Values Survey that they were uncomfortable living next to someone of a different race fell from 8% in the 1980s to 6% today. Again, in 1958, only 4% of Americans approved of interracial marriage according to Gallup polling. Support only crossed the 50% threshold in 1997. It has now reached 87%. Although people can lie to surveyors about their beliefs, the polling matches up with behavioral change: in 1980, less than 7% of marriages were between spouses of a different race or ethnicity in the United States. That climbed to 15% by 2010. There were 6,336 racially or ethnically motivated hate crimes reported by the FBI in 1994—that dropped to 3,310 in 2015.

And it isn’t just the US: the World Values Survey has data on the question about being uncomfortable living next to neighbors of a different race for 29 countries—home to 60% of the planet’s population, covering two waves of the survey—1999 to 2004 and 2010 to 2014. Progress is far from universal: sixteen countries have seen a decline in racism on this measure; in one country, attitudes remained unchanged; and in twelve (seven of them in Europe), attitudes have become worse. But the data suggests that about 23% of the world would have reported discomfort living next to someone of a different race in the early 2000s compared to 17% in the early 2010s. In India, for example, 42% of respondents reported they wouldn’t want to live next door to someone of a different race fifteen years ago, that has dropped to 26% more recently. In Argentina, fewer than 1% display racism on this measure.

Improving attitudes worldwide are reflected in a changed legal environment: the political scientists Victor Asal and Amy Pate studied laws affecting ethnic minorities in 124 countries between 1950 and 2003. Over that time, the proportion of countries with policies discriminating against ethnic minorities fell from 44% to 19%, while the proportion with policies favoring minorities increased from 7% to 25%.

Even if reported racist attitudes may be on the decline, attitudes can persist after people stop wanting to admit them to pollsters. And racism remains a huge social and economic problem. In the US, it remains a major contributory factor to outcomes including depression, ill health, lower employment and wages, and convictions and jail time. Worldwide, New York University’s Debraj Ray and colleagues have shown that ethnic division remains a major contributory factor to civil conflicts (although the silver lining is that some of that conflict is linked to ethnic groups losing privileged status).

Nonetheless, the trend towards less discriminatory attitudes, matched by a trend towards less legal discrimination worldwide, is a hopeful sign that racism is on the retreat—and it is likely that progress will continue, because young people are less racist than their elders. In France, for example, although Le Pen did comparatively well among youth voters in the first round of the election, young people overall are significantly less likely to say they did not want to live next to people of another race than old people in the last World Values Survey (14% of those under thirty compared to 31% of those above the age of fifty). Thankfully, Le Pen and Trump represent a way of thinking that is dying out.

(end quote)

• Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 11/21/2019 - 09:55 am.

“And the opportunity to be woke has only become available with wide free access to the information and the agency to act on it. ”

Neal, you’re clearly a technophile of sorts but your claim’s regarding culture, human consciousness, and intellect are mistaken. The internet didn’t create human consciousness.

Long before millennial’s started talking about being “woke” we had this little thing called the: “Renaissance”. Most historians describe THAT as era of awakening. Closer to home the “Middlebrow” culture of the 50’s and 60’s was also an era of intellectual “awakening” that grew out of middle class affluence and available leisure time. Boomers were the first generation to grow with sets of World Book and Britannic encyclopedias in the living rooms. You want to tell Tom Friedman that his generation asleep was at the wheel?

Boomers may have had encyclopedias instead of iPhones but we considered ourselves to be just as and more enlightened anyone else, AND we considered ourselves to have superior awareness of political, environmental, cultural, gender, and equity issues. We considered ourselves “woke” decades before millennial’s started using term.

I see you’ve written big long comments but your social history, sociology, history, and psychology are simply mistaken. Millennial’s are NOT the first beneficiaries of affluence and privilege to come along in course of human history. You’re criticisms are identical to those launched against boomer generation by our parents… essentially just making the same claim that we heard when we were told that we were spoiled, had too much time on our hands, and didn’t appreciate the sacrifices made on our behalf.

I hate to say but none of your comments actually address the fundamental substance at hand here. Even if millennial’s are the privileges brats some claim them to be… that doesn’t mean they’re wrong. It doesn’t mean their response to “Boomers” is invalid.

• Submitted by Ray J Wallin on 11/21/2019 - 05:42 pm.

Paul, when did I call someone a snowflake?

13. Submitted by ian wade on 11/20/2019 - 07:27 pm.

I’m not a fan of succumbing to generational stereotypes, no matter which one the point to. To me, claiming each generation thinks, votes or acts as a monolith is intellectually lazy.

• Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 11/21/2019 - 08:25 am.

If someone were claiming that: “OK Boomer” is great intellectual hallmark of any generation you might have a point Mr. Wade. Alas, it’s just two words.

• Submitted by ian wade on 11/21/2019 - 12:11 pm.

My comment was a general response to most of the posts here. I just find engaging in generational stereotypes rather tedious and simplistic.