WASHINGTON — While money may be flying in to the 6th District race at a record pace on both sides, just one candidate is leading the pack when it comes to support on the world’s biggest social network.
According to Facebook, the largest gulf between incumbent and challenger on their network is in Minnesota’s 6th District. What’s more, the gap between fans of Michele Bachmann and Tarryl Clark is about three times the size of any other in America. The lead is only increasing, as Bachmann is also gaining Facebook “fans” faster than any other House candidate nationwide.
I don’t know that there’s a singular reason for that gap, but here’s my theory (and I’d love to hear yours in the comments): Outspoken candidates with national profiles tend to have national followings, which helps explain both Bachmann’s record-setting fundraising and her leading online support.
However, while the national audience that would love to see Bachmann go away are more than happy to donate to her opponent, helping Clark’s record-breaking fundraising totals as well, their involvement in this race is more anti-Bachmann than pro-her opponent, thus Clark wouldn’t get the “follows.” As I said, that’s my theory and I’d welcome yours below.
The top five gainers and gulfs, according to Facebook are listed below. (More from Facebook can be found here)
Gaining Momentum (Largest increase of fans since last week)
- Rep. Michele Bachman (Republican/Minnesota 6th District) — +2,445
- Allen West (Republican/Florida 22nd District) — +483
- Jon Runyan (Republican/New Jersey 3rd District) — +260
- Rep. Alan Grayson (Democrat/Florida 8th District) — +259
- Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (Democrat/Arizona 8th District) — +218
Top Landslides (Biggest fan gap between opponents)
- Minnesota 6th District: Rep. Bachman (R) +102,229 more fans than Tarryl Clark (D)
- Florida 22nd District: Allen West (R) +35,697 more fans than Rep. Ron Klein (D)
- Florida 8th District: Rep. Alan Grayson (D) +25,665 more fans than Daniel Webste
- South Carolina 2nd District: Rep. Joe Wilson (R) +17,324 more fans than Rob Miller (D)
- Virginia 2nd District: Scott Rigell (R) +7.737 more fans than Rep. Glenn Nye (D)