Excerpts: Bachmann to warn Iowans America ‘under threat as never before’

Rep. Michele Bachmann
MinnPost/Bill Kelley
Rep. Michele Bachmann

DES MOINES, Iowa — In her first public appearance in Iowa since word of her possible interest in the presidency was made public, Rep. Michele Bachmann will tell Iowans this evening that “the promise of America is under threat as never before.”

She’ll also warn the standing room only crowd that is expected to turn out for her speech here Friday (and the dozens of credentialed media) that if the United States doesn’t change course, “this great experiment in human liberty called America” could end.

Excerpts of Bachmann’s speech were obtained Thursday evening by MinnPost, and are reprinted below.

“That is why I have come to speak to you tonight — because the promise of America is under threat as never before. For twenty-one generations, the torch of liberty has been successfully passed from one generation to the next. And the question we need to ask ourselves tonight is: Will it end with us? Will we be the first generation to fail when it is our turn to pass the torch of liberty? Will we allow this great experiment in human liberty called America to end on our watch?”

And later…

“It is not too late to change course and save this great nation. I believe we can save America. I believe we can preserve this exceptional nation — this land of promise — for our children and grandchildren. Because I believe that what makes America an exceptional nation is our exceptional people — people like those gathered in this room tonight.”

1. Submitted by Bruce Bruemmer on 01/21/2011 - 05:56 am.

I think Rufus T. Firefly said the same thing about Freedonia.

2. Submitted by Richard Molby on 01/21/2011 - 09:46 am.

[Head scratch] Well, that’s a big steaming pile of doom and gloom.

She could have talked about the great many advancements in science and technology, in health care, in education for children and adults. She could have gone into detail about advancements in treating pregnant women and pre- and post-natal care. She could have talked about opportunities opening up in historically underprivileged neighborhoods and families breaking the bonds of poverty.

Of course, in order to do that she would have had to have been talking about anyplace BUT the good ol’ U. S. of A. The shallow definition of “American exceptionalism” that she and her disciples believe in promotes the idea that the wealthiest among us will make sure America does whats best for Americans. Name me one time in world history where that has proved to be true.

3. Submitted by myles spicer on 01/21/2011 - 09:47 am.

Over the years I have reviewed and cataloged Ms. Bachmann’s outlandish statements, bizarre contentions, and distorted view of history:

I now see that an update is needed. If indeed she makes a serious run for high office, there will be no shortage of fresh new material. I have ordered a new larger hardrive.

4. Submitted by Dan Landherr on 01/21/2011 - 11:12 am.

Every tea party needs a Mad Hatter. Or is she the White Rabbit?

5. Submitted by Lori Laflin on 01/21/2011 - 11:14 am.

And, can I just point out that according to dictionary.com a generation is commonly accepted as 30 years? 21 generations is 630 years.

If we go with 25 years, that gets us closer to 1492, which means that Columbus carried “the torch of liberty” with him on the Mayflower, and I’m pretty certain that’s not what he had in mind.

6. Submitted by Norman Larson on 01/21/2011 - 12:16 pm.

I saw an editorial cartoon somewhere that showed Rep. Bachmann’s presidential trial balloon being filled with laughing gas.

7. Submitted by Ann McKinnon on 01/21/2011 - 12:17 pm.

Isn’t she a terrorist, using fear and threats for political purposes?

8. Submitted by Loretta Holscher on 01/21/2011 - 12:24 pm.

“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” FDR
    All she has to sell is fear, and I’m not buying!

9. Submitted by Dennis Tester on 01/21/2011 - 12:41 pm.

Who knew that so many white liberal men could have mommy issues?

10. Submitted by Lori Laflin on 01/21/2011 - 02:04 pm.

Oops – not the Mayflower – my snit got the better of my typing.

11. Submitted by B Maginnis on 01/21/2011 - 02:54 pm.

“The PROMISE of America”, Derek.

Please be sure your headlines do not mislead.

12. Submitted by B Maginnis on 01/21/2011 - 02:56 pm.

Dennis, what scares me is all the scary-smart NPR/elitist chicks that melt down when Bachmann is in the news.

13. Submitted by Sandy Roggenkamp on 01/21/2011 - 03:32 pm.

Seriously, what is wrong with her? I wish she would go to hollywood…there’s got to be a part for her in some B movie…and I don’t mean to offend any actors here.

14. Submitted by Bruce Hope on 01/21/2011 - 04:05 pm.

@Dennis…Yawn.
    Another Minnpost article expresses it well: “[I]independent fact checkers find that the information she relies on is often exaggerated, misleading or wrong. PolitiFact, a Pulitzer Prize-winning feature of the St. Petersburg Times that checks whether statements made by politicians are true, has repeatedly determined that Bachmann’s claim don’t ring true. ‘We have checked her 13 times, and [found] seven of her claims to be false and six have been found to be ridiculously false,’ PolitiFact editor Bill Adair said. Adair said no politician has been checked as often as Bachmann without saying at least something that’s true.”

15. Submitted by Allison Sandve on 01/21/2011 - 05:30 pm.

If MinnPost had reader post of the month, #9 Loretta would surely get my vote! Brilliant!