Pawlenty plans ‘major announcement’ today at 2 p.m. Central

Tim Pawlenty
REUTERS/Joshua Roberts
Tim Pawlenty

WASHINGTON — Tim Pawlenty will make a “major announcement” regarding his future this afternoon, likely to say formally that he’s exploring a run for president.

“Governor Pawlenty will have a major announcement exclusive to supporters on Facebook at 3 pm ET today,” said Alex Conant, Pawlenty’s PAC spokesman, in a brief statement to reporters this morning. That’s 2 p.m. in Minnesota.

The announcement will come via Pawlenty’s Facebook page.

The Associated Press, which first reported the move, said Pawlenty will create a presidential exploratory committee. If, as expected, he files with the Federal Elections Committee to form an exploratory committee, Pawlenty would be the first major presidential contender to do so.

Pawlenty has long been mentioned as a likely presidential candidate, and has already built a network of likely staffers either affiliated with his PAC formally or waiting in the wings to jump on board. He has taken several visits to early primary and caucus states, and thus questions surrounding this announcement came began with the word “when,” not “if.”

The only other candidate who has traceable national support to have taken this step is Herman Cain, a Tea Party-affiliated talk radio host and the former CEO of the Godfather’s Pizza chain.

1. Submitted by Beryl John-Knudson on 03/21/2011 - 10:22 am.

Sounds a little like a John-the-Baptist committee to announce the announcement of HIS coming; his entering the race…with palm branches no doubt?

2. Submitted by Norman Larson on 03/21/2011 - 10:39 am.

For how many years does Pawlenty have to explore? By now, he should know he doesn’t have a chance at being elected President.

3. Submitted by Tom Christensen on 03/21/2011 - 10:41 am.

He joins a ring full of losers. He’ll fit right in.

Pawlenty didn’t run for reelection because of the following. No matter how much Pawlenty tries to rewrite history his legacy is a $6,000,000,000 debt. If Pawlenty were able to think of himself objectively here is what he would come up with. I’m was able to kick the can down the road in hopes of someone else getting to handle the problems, it worked. I excelled at trickery and deception. I didn’t raise taxes, just fees. Two terms in office and I have zero notable accomplishments. I was frequently absent from the state as I was off serving myself. I’m incapable of working with others. I have one concern in my life, me. I will help you if you have deep pockets. I’m a political weasel. I was against the stimulus because the Republican talking points say I had to be against it but, I did however base 25% of my states budget on federal assistance. I’ve never won a gubernatorial election by majority vote. Even the GOP recognizes my value, I can’t beat Sarah Palin in a GOP straw poll. I sound like a high school walking Republican talking point machine on Meet The Press. I sued the Federal government over health care reform so it will look good to my Republican friends. The Minnesota State Supreme Court found I operated outside the law. After running hard for months I was able to get 1% of the Iowa Republican voters behind my awesome ideas. It is so hard for me as a hypocrite to keep it all straight. Who knows maybe this is the resume that will make me president so I can do good things for you too!

It is amazing how small the package when he gets all wrapped up in himself.

4. Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 03/21/2011 - 11:08 am.

Yawn.

5. Submitted by Jim Roth on 03/21/2011 - 11:39 am.

Tom, thanks for summing up his accomplishments. I’m so excited for 2pm I can hardly wait!

6. Submitted by Tim Walker on 03/21/2011 - 02:01 pm.

Maybe Pawlenty should explore the collapse of the I-35 bridge that killed 13 innocent Minnesotans.