Bachmann got cash from 70,000 donors

Want to have a look at donors for yourself? We’ve posted searchable data that includes detailed donor information. You can see Bachmann’s Minnesota donors for the 3rd quarter and her top donors from around the country. We’ve also included Pawlenty’s Minnesota donors for the 3rd quarter and his top donors nationwide. Search the data for names, employers or cities.

Louie Gohmert: Gohmert is a fourth-term U.S. Congressman from Texas, and one of Bachmann’s biggest allies in Congress. He was an early backer of Bachmann’s failed bid to become the Republican House Conference Chairwoman and appeared with her during a high-profile press conference during the debt ceiling debate over the summer. At the time, he joked that the next president could be “even someone in this room.” Bachmann is the only candidate to receive a donation from Gohmert.

1. Submitted by Paul Brandon on 10/19/2011 - 12:31 pm.

What’s harder to figure are the effects of ‘bundlers’: individuals who pull together a group of donors to make what amounts to a large contribution from a single source.

2. Submitted by Kevin McDonald on 10/19/2011 - 01:06 pm.

I had to go to the Center for Responsive Politics, host of opensecrets.org, to double check this one…

Former candidate for the DFL endorsement, Mike V. Ciresi, donated $500 to Mr. Pawlenty’s presidential campaign. This donation was made (or recorded in the database) on August 8, 2011. Interestly, Pawlenty dropped out of the GOP presidential bid on August 14, 2011.

I’m scratching my head in an attempt to understand the motivation behind this contribution. Surely, their political views do not appear to be a great match. Even MN GOPer, Michael Brodkorb, tweeted exactly one year ago, “Mike Ciresi is a household name in DFL circles and has strong liberal credentials.”

Perhaps Ciresi saw Pawlenty going down in flames, with a big deficit in his presidential campaign war chest, and decided it would be nice to help a guy out. That’d be a nice way to look at it. It takes a lot to run for office and our democracy is all for the better when individuals put themselves out there.

Perhaps Ciresi wanted to encourage a more moderate GOPer to hang in there. The problem with this theory is Pawlenty wasn’t casting himself as the party’s moderate (that’d be Huntsman).

Perhaps Ciresi liked Pawlenty’s positions on tort reform…nothing of which I would know a thing about. Why do I think I’d find this hard to believe?

I find myself asking, if I had tens of millions of dollars, would I be the type who would contribute dollars to candidates of both parties? And, would I contribute to candidates for reasons other than we shared similar political views and saw the world through a similar lens? Would I set aside my personal political views and allow business interests to guide my campaign giving?

Our fellow citizens outside of the Federal Building in Mpls, Occupy Wall Street, and elsewhere are on to something. We need to figure a new way to support political campaigns. The current system is seriously flawed.

3. Submitted by Cynthia Bemis Abrams on 10/19/2011 - 02:30 pm.

Robert Cummins’ history of funding extreme conservative candidates goes back at least to 1995.

4. Submitted by Kevin McDonald on 10/19/2011 - 03:01 pm.

Ok, Mr. Cummins has a long record of funding conservative candidates. But what’s noteworthy, is that he keeps his dough is in line with his principles. While I object to our democracy’s laws and regs to campaign financing, at least this guy is consistent.

As the City Pages pointed out in May of 2008…”he distributes his fortunes generously, but not widely. These days, most CEOs give to both major parties — a sort of protection plan against the inevitable shifts of the political winds. Cummins’s money is red only.”

While one may not agree with the politics Mr. Cummins’ supports, we cannot say the same about all big donors.

Read the full blurb here:

5. Submitted by Rosalind Kohls on 10/19/2011 - 03:45 pm.

Speaking of bundlers and since we are naming names, (and since Obama is running for re-election) I discovered two people from Minneapolis yesterday who are big-time Obama bundlers. They are Amy Sterner and Dean Phillips. They are listed as being bundlers in the $50,000 to $100,000 range of the Obama for America and Obama Victory Fund 2012 Volunteer Fundraisers. The list was posted at Michelle Malkin blog. I was surprised there were only two from Minnesota. Most of the Obama bundlers are from California, according to the Washington Times.

6. Submitted by Alonza Fronczak on 10/20/2011 - 12:11 am.

I noticed that:

On 5-Jul-11, DAVID ARNOLD of WINONA, MN employed by NONE as an RETIRED gave $2500 to Michele Bachmann.

On 6-Jul-11, DAVID ARNOLD of WINONA, MN employed by D.C.M. as an EXECUTIVE gave $5000 to Tim Pawlenty.