Jim Graves will challenge Bachmann again in 2014

MinnPost photo by Devin Henry
Jim Graves speaking at a Chamber of Commerce event in Monticello in 2012.

Wells said Graves’ desire to finish what he started in 2012 —when he lost to Bachmann, R-Stillwater, by about 4,300 votes in one of the nation’s closest U.S. House races — spurred his decision to make another bid for Congress.

“Jim knows that everybody heard his message last time about his business experience and the need for serious change,” Wells said. “He’s feeling such an outpouring of support.”

Another factor was having a far longer period of time in which to campaign before the 2014 election, Wells said. The 2012 cycle was truncated by the once-a-decade redistricting, which forced candidates to wait until spring 2012 to determine where district boundaries would fall.

1. Submitted by David Frenkel on 04/11/2013 - 11:26 am.

Election

Bachmann is an embarrassment to the state of MN and should be replaced by somebody who is more interested in MN than standing on the steps of the US capital grandstanding about things like Obama isn’t a US citizen. Several years ago the Washington Post voted Bachmann the worst legislator in DC.

2. Submitted by Steve Hoffman on 04/11/2013 - 11:50 am.

Yay!

Now there’s some grand news on this snowy day. I look forward to the election.

3. Submitted by Todd Hintz on 04/11/2013 - 11:51 am.

Graves

There is yet hope for the 6th district. Driving home that Bachmann is only interested in her celebrity status is a good message to work with as it gets people asking themselves “what has she really done for us?” Clearly some are already there as she didn’t even pull in as many votes as Mitt Romney.

4. Submitted by jody rooney on 04/11/2013 - 12:22 pm.

Well he has my vote

but then anyone would have my vote but Bachmann. Has she moved into the district yet?

His article on tax policy is sensible and worth reading. It would be nice to have someone who knows the difference between business and really big business.

5. Submitted by John Zwiebel on 04/11/2013 - 01:14 pm.

Thoughts on Graves Tax Proposals

I’ve contributed to Graves 2014 campaign.

I hope that Graves will change his mind on chained-CPI. I also think “means testing” for Medicare is a mistake in that it transforms the program into a quasi-welfare program rather than an earned benefit.

I would like to hear more about the disincentives of double-taxation on corporate dividends. I do not see this as a problem and I don’t see how it would encourage corporations to declare more dividends.

The elimination of certain tax credits would mean no credits for solar installation, so I disagree there, but perhaps it would be a wash since oil and gas depletion would also be eliminated. I don’t think so.

I’m not a balance budget freak. Sometimes it needs to be in deficit, but the Republicans have abused that need plunging our country into debt, so if a balanced budget is the only way to control the Republican waste, then I’d support it.

I’m glad to see someone promulgating rules that might fix our deficit problem.

6. Submitted by John Zwiebel on 04/11/2013 - 01:16 pm.

Thoughts on Graves Tax Proposals

I’ve contributed to Graves 2014 campaign.

I’m glad to see someone promulgating rules that might fix our deficit problem.

7. Submitted by Joel Soti on 04/11/2013 - 01:34 pm.

Let’s hope he ends the nightmare of Bachmann holding office

It is so easy to laugh at Bachmann’s patently false, groundless statements but then, when you remember that she actually holds a vote in the United States Congress and does actual harm to so many people, we should all stop laughing and commit to voting her out of office. Graves is the anti-Bachmann because he is smart, responsible, not crazy, and sincerly interested in helping solve problems.
    Bachmann richly deserves our scorn for wasting so much time and energy on her hurtful, divisive, mean-spirit, faith-over-facts agenda.

8. Submitted by Jim Roth on 04/11/2013 - 02:19 pm.

Compromise

We need politicians who understand the need to discuss and work toward compromise when appropriate, not loud mouth ideological publicity hounds.

9. Submitted by jody rooney on 04/11/2013 - 03:08 pm.

The proposals for means testing if I recall are at a fairly high

level of income.

Well fare for people in the 90% income category and below wouldn’t qualify as welfare in my vocabulary.

10. Submitted by Connie Sullivan on 04/11/2013 - 04:07 pm.

Graves, with his suggestions on budget and taxation issues, has at least given us all something to discuss! What a breath of fresh air, compared to the rather sterile and misleading one-way sound bite environment in the Bachmann mode.

Graves seems like a candidate and future congressman who will listen. We can talk calmly about CPI and other questions with him.

And, I don’t know who the people at the Democratic Congressional Campaign center were, who ignored Graves’s challenge of Bachmann last year. They could have helped him (visits from Pooh-Bahs, campaign money and other forms of campaign support), but they wrote him off. He can win this in 2014, and I’m pleased that he’s ready to re-enter the ring!

• Submitted by Robert Moffitt on 04/12/2013 - 10:26 am.

I live in the 6th

It’s pretty common for Democratic party officials, at both the state and national levels, to write off any Dem running for a seat in our neck of the woods. Considering how well some candidates did last year, including Graves, that looks like a big mistake.

11. Submitted by David Hanegraaf on 04/12/2013 - 07:16 am.

Let’s all help

May everyone in the state join the effort to rid our Congressional delegation of this embarrassing, pathological liar. Hopefully, she will leave and return to Iowa or Switzerland.