Which 6th District Republican will run in Bachmann’s place?

MinnPost file photo by Devin Henry
Rep. Michele Bachmann shown in her St. Cloud campaign office in October 2012.

WASHINGTON — Now that Rep. Michele Bachmann will not seek re-election to her House seat, a national Republican strategist passes on this list of potential GOP candidates to run for Congress in the 6th District in her place (in no particular order):

• State Rep. Tim Sanders
  • Rep. Matt Dean
  • Rep. David FitzSimmons
  • Rep. Peggy Scott
  • State Sen. Michelle Fischbach
  • Sen. Mary Kiffmeyer
  • St. Cloud Mayor Dave Kleis
  • Anoka County Commissioner Rhonda Sivarajah
  • Former Rep. Phil Krinkie
  • Former Rep. Jim Knoblach
  • Former Rep. and gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer
  • Former U.S. Senate candidate Pete Hegseth

A note on the list: It’s a combination of both people who have expressed interest in running already (according to the strategist) and those who have been mentioned as good possibilities by others, though my source wasn’t able to say who fell into which category, at least at this point. The list, obviously, may contain a few people with no interest in running at all, and there may be several others who end up mulling a run. It’s a bit of very early speculation, so take it with a grain of salt.

Meanwhile, the Secretary of State’s website has an exhaustive list of all state officials elected to seats in the 6th District last November.

One last thing to remember as this whole process goes forward: You don’t have to live in the district to represent it in Congress. It’s rare, but not unheard-of. In fact, we have one example in Minnesota: Rep. Michele Bachmann, whose home in Stillwater was drawn into Rep. Betty McCollum’s 4th District during redistricting last year.

1. Submitted by Ryan Fagan on 05/29/2013 - 10:28 am.

Dave Kleis?

St Cloud’s mayor against another St Cloud native, Jim Graves? It would be an easy win for Graves thank goodness. Kleis isn’t used to running against opponents so he would be ill prepared to run against an actual opponent in a state-wide election for a national office. I ran against Kleis as a write-in candidate in the 2008 St Cloud Mayoral race before changing my mind and not actively campaigning… Those St Cloud townies sure made me feel welcome with their mud-slinging and name calling at me. I made it to the front page of the St Cloud Times. What started as me saying “I will run as a write-in candidate” in the comments section of an SCTimes.com article turned into this big thing around town where I was interviewed by the paper and they ran multiple stories on me. I hope Graves beats whomever he ends up running against. I am happy the Bachmann circus will be ending.

2. Submitted by Tom Knisely on 05/29/2013 - 11:13 am.

Sivarajah

Anoka County Chairwoman Rhonda Sivarajah is the best on this list. She would make an excellent Congresswoman. If she decides against it the obvious choice would then fall to Minority Whip Tim Sanders. Both Sivarajah and Sanders are honest, hardworking and earnest. They would be in the race for the right reasons. Emmer, Kiffmeyer, Krinkie and Knoblach are all candidates of the past. It’s time to move on.

3. Submitted by jody rooney on 05/29/2013 - 11:45 am.

But we could hope it would end sooner

Quit now Ms. Bachmann before the wolves are really at the door.

4. Submitted by Kenneth Kjer on 05/29/2013 - 01:17 pm.

Recycled candidates

The GOP needs to find a new face for the 6th District. After Bachmann anyone named in the article won’t be trusted by people. Also the news keeps saying it is a GOP leaning district, but I bet there are thousands of people like myself who have long been Republicans, will vote for Graves in a heartbeat if the GOP tries to run some recycled politician with an unsavory past.

5. Submitted by Bill Gleason on 05/29/2013 - 06:00 pm.

If the GOP is stupid enough to run Emmer

he will lose.

6. Submitted by David Greene on 05/30/2013 - 08:52 am.

Kleis an Interesting Choice

Dave Kleis was a firebrand conservative in the legislature, actively working against seemingly anything that might benefit cities (LGA, transit funding, etc.). Once he became mayor of St. Cloud he changed his tune.

Now the cynics among us might think that he is simply hypocritical, changing his tune to pander to his constituents. However, some lobbyists at the legislature have indicated to me that he really has learned something. He’s much more aware of what it takes to run a city and is actively working to secure many of the very things he worked against in the legislature.

Someone once told me that the people he trusts most are those that have changed their minds. I think that’s a good benchmark to keep in mind. I guess I wouldn’t mind a Republican in office who seems to understand the need to adapt to meet today’s challenges.