What to watch for in Wednesday’s Franken-McFadden debate

REUTERS/Craig Lassig
Although McFadden and Franken shared a stage in August at Farm Fest, Wednesday's debate will mark the first time they will engage directly on issues this campaign season.

1. Submitted by E Gamauf on 09/30/2014 - 10:05 am.

I would differ on “rarin’ for a fight.”

I watched the FarmFest forum (“debate”).
    Its available on the uptake.

It proved that Senator Franken knew what he was talking about. As the incumbent, had a record to stand on & detailed knowledge about all the topics.

Whether he tells a joke, or cracks wise, will of course – be the subject of all of the follow up opinion pieces, ignoring most everything else.

At FarmFest McFadden looked inept, not so much “raring.”
    He didn’t have command of the topics, as his repeated flip-flopping on everything from Chinese steel on shows.

What to watch:

Franken’s record & articulation.

It will be interested to see if they coached McFadden up to his eyeballs in Powerpoint presentations, so that he can appear to have a consistent platform.

2. Submitted by Thomas Swift on 09/30/2014 - 10:39 am.

I watched the Almanac piece. The look on Eric Eskola’s face as Franken stumbled his way through is absolutely priceless.

I simply cannot wait for McFadden to get his shot.

• Submitted by jason myron on 09/30/2014 - 03:46 pm.

Yup..

I’ll bet you’re feeling the same anticipation that you felt on election night 2012. You better tidy up the bunker…I have a feeling that you’ll be diving back into it for awhile come November.

3. Submitted by Paul Brandon on 09/30/2014 - 12:12 pm.

McFadden will get his shot.

The question is which foot he shoots himself in,
    and whether he puts it in his mouth first.

Watch for McFadden to answer a lot of questions that he isn’t asked, to avoid answering the questions that he can’t.

4. Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 09/30/2014 - 12:37 pm.

Thanks… I had no idea what to watch for.

Here’s ONE thing we can count on noticing… Mcfadden’s TV ad complaining about the lack of debates will be obsolete in the first minute of the debate. I hope he spent a LOT of money on that ad. And I think it really demonstrates his strategic genius. Never seen a candidate run a self-destructing ad before.

• Submitted by E Gamauf on 09/30/2014 - 05:40 pm.

That’s very good & true.

Very clear & minimalist.

Senator Franken has been there.

Not much point in trying to tell the likes of McF what it will take to sell us,
      if indeed there is anything that could make a sale.

We have known Norm Coleman.

5. Submitted by Robert Moffitt on 09/30/2014 - 03:17 pm.

I rarely say this, but Switee is right…

…and so is Ernst. Franken did win the day at Farm Fest, in part because of the format, and in part because he is very strong on rural and ag issues.

That said, I also watched Franken on Almanac, and it was a pretty weak performance.

The question is, which candidates will show up on Wednesday? I think both are capable of landing blows.

6. Submitted by Pavel Yankovic on 10/01/2014 - 05:04 am.

McFadden …

will be attacked for his wealth. That is the first (and only) plan of attack for the DFL’ers in this state. Wealthy Republicans are taboo. Wealthy Democrats are okay because they claim to make things easier for those who perceive themselves as downtrodden victims.

We’ll see more of the same.