While celebrating a victory, Franken warns: ‘We have to stay vigilant’ on net neutrality

REUTERS/Yuri Gripas
The audience applauds after Thursday’s FCC vote to reclassify Internet service.

1. Submitted by joe smith on 02/28/2015 - 10:32 am.

How can you celebrate a bill nobody has read. Are we that really that easy to lead? Herd mentality- Franken says it is good- without anyone reading the bill- we say hurrah!!

2. Submitted by Matt Haas on 03/02/2015 - 08:04 am.

To what do you refer?

There wasn’t any bill here, simply a decision to reclassify internet service as a utility. Well within the purview of the FCC as currently constituted, no legislation necessary.

3. Submitted by joe smith on 03/02/2015 - 03:51 pm.

My bad, the 300 pages of rules, regulations passed by FCC have not been made public. The same sediment applies, how can we be excited when nobody has seen the 300 pages of rules. Reminds me of Nancy Pelosi saying “we gotta pass Obamacare to find out all the goodies in it”. That was the single most arrogant statement ever by a politician to the folks who employ her.

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 03/02/2015 - 04:31 pm.

Your bad, once again

It seems you don’t know how federal agencies make rules. A notice of proposed rulemaking with the draft of the proposed rule was published by the FCC in May of 2014, and the public was given time to comment.

I understand that this is starting out as the new right-wing conspiracy theory (really, don’t you people have anything better to do?), but the delay in releasing the final rule is pretty unexceptional: final edits to the text still have to be made, which means nothing more than dissenting arguments have to be considered and responded to. This is part of the normal procedure for any agency rule. In any event, the net neutrality rules have been in process since 2010, so it’s not like the whole thing was some big secret.

4. Submitted by joe smith on 03/02/2015 - 05:06 pm.

RB, what I’m saying is the FCC voted 3-2 on rules and regulations for the internet and we the public didn’t have a chance to read the rules beforehand. I know that the devil is always in the details with govt agencies and if there was nothing controversial they would have “cleaned up” the regulations and released them with the ruling. I haven’t trusted the Govt since the Vietnam war in early 70’s. Funny thing is back then I was considered a liberal, still don’t trust the Govt and I’m now a right-wing conspiracy theorist according to some. Not a fan of politically appointed (not elected) folks making decisions for me. Happy for many of you that believe the Govt is looking out for you. Live long enough you’ll figure out they are working for themselves.

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 03/03/2015 - 09:01 am.

Yes, you did have a chance

The proposed rules have always been online, and it was possible to piece together the final version. There is nothing unique in how this regulation was handled. The public was given notice of the proposed rules, and given several months in which to make comments.

This is how rulemaking is done. Look up the Administrative Procedure Act.

5. Submitted by joe smith on 03/04/2015 - 10:41 am.

How is it possible to piece together rules and regulations when you don’t what rules/regs were in the final version. I guess if you buy into the Govt is looking out for you, you sleep well. If Franken says it is good for you and you blindly follow… good for you…. sleep well.

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 03/04/2015 - 03:02 pm.

How?

It’s called the Federal Register, and it has statements of all the changes made to the proposed rule. Yes, it will involve some effort on your part. In the end, it will be easier to assume it’s bad because Al Franken supported it.

6. Submitted by joe smith on 03/04/2015 - 04:18 pm.

They work for us, it their job to get me the rules that will affect me. I don’t work for them, you’ve got it all backwards. I see you assume it is good because Al told you it was. Sleep well……