MinnPost voters: Share your voting experience

Have you voted yet? If so, how’d it go? Tell us where you voted and describe the experience: Did you have to wait long to vote, were there any problems and what was the buzz at your polling station? Please leave a message in the comments section of this post.

1. Submitted by Corey Anderson on 11/04/2008 - 07:48 am.

The line at Bethel Christian Fellowship in the Snelling Hamline neighborhood of St. Paul was 50 deep at 6:45 this morning. By the time the polls opened at 7:00 am, another 80 were in line. Many voters were foregoing the voting stands to simply fill out their ballots against the wall for expediency.

2. Submitted by Kristi McKinney on 11/04/2008 - 08:26 am.

Got in line in NE Mpls at 6:45, was out the door by 7:30. All went pretty smoothly. There were 35 people ahead of me in line, mostly older people. As we were standing in line, a school bus went by and a kid shouted “Obama!” out the window. Everyone laughed.

3. Submitted by Karl Pearson-Cater on 11/04/2008 - 09:55 am.

Voted at Brackett Park, South Minneapolis

Got there at 8am and was done by 9:15am — probably 100+ people. Lines went to the corner, but moved quickly and people were in good moods. Many had planned their day around a 2 hour wait.

Confirmed that the ballot counting machine was broken. A worker said she thought they would be counting ballots by hand in the evening. As I was leaving, it looked like someone had arrived to try to fix it.

Took this picture with my cell phone… Folks waiting in line outside with the American flag greeting them at the doorway! And then I teared up.

4. Submitted by Fred Marx on 11/04/2008 - 09:57 am.

St Louis Park city hall had 50 people waiting in line for CD-6 at 6:30am, and another 50 waiting for CD-5. Polling workers were plentiful and happy. Process was efficient and quick. Wife and I then went to Starbucks. Fun to watch people with “I Voted” stickers proudly displayed on their clothes streaming in. It was a celebration both at city hall and at Starbucks. Americans are actively participating in their government.

God bless America. Please.

5. Submitted by Gin Kujawa on 11/04/2008 - 10:02 am.

I got in line at the Marcy Open School at 6:20 a.m. There were about 18 people in line ahead of me. They had chairs there while we were waiting. I sat down and took a short nap. They opened the doors and I finished voting in 10 minutes. When I left the line was snaking around the block.

6. Submitted by matt wells on 11/04/2008 - 10:27 am.

St Paul, Ward 3, Pct 8, Nativity Church basement. In and out super fast, no line @ 10am.

7. Submitted by David Brauer on 11/04/2008 - 10:39 am.

No lines at 10 a.m. in southwest Minneapolis’ Precinct 8-6. This is one of the highest-turnout areas in the state; it surprised me.

I voted next to a guy who asked whether the polling place’s pens would register on the ballots, and who crossed himself before he voted.

8. Submitted by Susan Peterson on 11/04/2008 - 11:04 am.

Perfect timing — full voting booths but no lines at 10:30 at Columbia Heights pct. 8 — but election workers said there was a heavy turnout earlier and they’re gearing up for the lunch rush. Warmed my heart to see all the smiling faces as they participated in democracy.

9. Submitted by Joel Kramer on 11/04/2008 - 11:09 am.

It took 35 minutes, starting in line at 10:10 am, to vote at Marcy Open School in SE Minneapolis. Very smooth operation.

10. Anonymous Submitted by Anonymous on 11/04/2008 - 11:46 am.

I voted on 2nd St. N.E. around 11 a.m. There were no lines so I asked about turnout. A volunteer said usually there’s about 150 people that have voted by 11 a.m. She said today more than 900 people had voted by that time. I was voter 974.

11. Submitted by Christina Capecchi on 11/04/2008 - 12:15 pm.

I voted at 11:40 a.m. at River Heights Vineyard Church in Inver Grove Heights. Heard they’d had huge lines at open, but I got in and out quickly.

Noticed several voters (of various ages) registering when I walked in. Great to see!

12. Submitted by Bill Corbett on 11/04/2008 - 12:22 pm.

Voted mid-morning at the Edina Senior Center, off Vernon Ave. Cheerful, very helpful poll workers there, as always. Very smooth sailing.

Plus they were real nice to my three-year-old daughter, who went to see her parents vote for the first time! She was fascinated by the whole thing.

A big THANK YOU to everyone who volunteers to make voting in Minnesota work — anywhere in this state. You have our family’s gratitude.

13. Submitted by Linda Merritt on 11/04/2008 - 12:30 pm.

Voted at the James Ballentine VFW at Lyn-Lake. Got there at 7:10am and the line was already around the block and all the way to the intersection of 29th and Aldrich! It usually takes me 20 minutes max to vote, sometimes as little as ten minutes. Today it took nearly 2 1/2 hours. Everybody was upbeat, no complaints about the long wait in line. After two hours, I heard a lady behind me say “Two hours in high heels is a small price to pay for something this important.” Seeing so many of my neighbors showing up so early and waiting so long to vote, with smiles on all their faces, made me tear up and nearly cry several times because I was just SO DAMN PROUD!! I’ve been voting for over 20 years, and I have never seen this kind of turnout before! The actual voting was quick and easy. When I finally left at 9:30, the line was STILL at 29th & Aldrich!!

14. Submitted by John N. Finn on 11/04/2008 - 12:36 pm.

Parked the motorcycle at the curb right in front of the door at Madison School, Winona, 7:45am. No waiting (never is) to use the stand-up little table booths to mark the paper ballots for the scanner machine. More people coming and going that times past, as I recall.

15. Submitted by Susan Albright on 11/04/2008 - 02:07 pm.

At 12:15 p.m., maybe 100 or so people created a line that reached two houses down the street from the First Unitarian Society of Minneapolis on Mount Curve — a great deal shorter than at 8, when it snaked past several houses, past Colfax Ave. Neighbors chatted with acquaintances and strangers alike, all enjoying the sunshine — and many talking about the historic nature of this Election Day. Poll workers were efficient; it took about 55 minutes to vote.

16. Submitted by Brian Simon on 11/04/2008 - 02:30 pm.

My voting experience rocked. Wife and I were in line with daughter at 6:50 AM, same as 4 years ago. In 2004 we voted #s 24 &25, this year we were 90-something. The line was still around the corner (at Minnehaha Church on 50th & 38th in east Nokomis) when we left at 7:35.

17. Submitted by Randy Fordice on 11/04/2008 - 02:52 pm.

Voted at Franklin and Pillsbury…took exactly one hour. Saw a nice moment where an election judge came out and helped two elderly guys who couldn’t stand in line. Very nice, reverential feeling…the importance of this election was palpable.

18. Submitted by Beth Wright on 11/04/2008 - 03:04 pm.

At 2:30 pm I was voter #988 at the Indian Ministries Office at Park and E. 31st in south Minneapolis. That’s got to be a historic first–I’ve never been higher than the 400s, even in the evening. There were at least ten people registering, and all the booths were full. The thousandth person to get a ballot was just behind me. I walked out happy and proud of my normally low-turnout precinct. I think a lot of people are feeling hopeful today.

19. Submitted by Caley Conney on 11/04/2008 - 03:11 pm.

I had a touching experience first thing in the morning in St. Paul…

Perched on her dad’s shoulders, the heels of her pink cowboy boots bounced against his chest as she looked up and down the long line. Her stream of questions never stopped as we waited outside for an hour. Walking in the doors at the rec center polling center she asked another one, “Daddy, is that where the girls vote?” I turned, along with others nearby in line, and looked to see where she was pointing: the women’s bathroom. We all suppressed chuckles, not wanting to discourage her interest in the election.
    “No, honey, the girls get to vote in the same place as the boys.”
    “Why, Daddy?”
    “Well,” he explained, “because everyone has an equal right to vote so we all get to go to the same place.”
    Forehead scrunched in concentration she said, “That’s good because I’m a girl and I want to vote. But, Daddy?” She paused as at least ten people looked up at her dark curls, waiting to hear what she would say next. “I don’t know who I am going to pick.”
    “That’s ok.” He smiled, “You have a few years to decide.”
    “Good,” Sighing she wrapped her chubby arms around him and rested her chin on his head, “because I have a lot of thinking to do.”

20. Submitted by Bernice Vetsch on 11/04/2008 - 03:44 pm.

At St Paul’s Edgcumbe Rec location, there was a steady arrival of voters at 9:30. The election workers reported a big crowd at 7:00, however, including 50 persons who needed to register.

After voting, I did some GOTV door-knocking and was told a story by a gentleman whose elderly aunt (90s?) from Chicago had received an early-morning call asking what was going on outside her building — lots of police cars, lots of activity. Auntie put on a robe over her nightie and went out to see what was happening. Turns out that the school across the street from her building was the Obamas’ voting place and they were there. She was interviewed and photographed by a/some reporter(s), so perhaps she’ll be on the evening news.

21. Submitted by Michele St. Martin on 11/04/2008 - 04:33 pm.

It was… wonderful.

We arrived at our polling place, Arlington High School in St. Paul, at 6:45. The line was so long that I kept murmuring “Wow!”

I teared up as I waited in line with my husband and our two young daughters. By the time the polls opened at 7, there were easily another 100 people behind us. It’s the best turnout I’ve ever seen in my 32 years of voting.

22. Submitted by Paul Farley on 11/04/2008 - 04:53 pm.

Voted at Valentine Hills Elementary in Arden Hills at 3:45. School was letting out so it was mayhem in and around the school itself, but very organized, efficient and no lines for voting. Lots of students from Bethel were there registering.

23. Submitted by John Reinan on 11/04/2008 - 04:58 pm.

My daughter, 8, has been very excited about the election. My wife and I planned to get up early and vote at 7 a.m., and she wanted to join us. The three of us arrived about 6:45 at our polling place, Lake Harriet Elementary lower campus in Linden Hills (Ward 13, Precinct 2 for all you election geeks). There were already almost 200 people in line.

We got our ballots around 7:30. There was a person there doing the Kids Vote program, which lets the youngsters fill out a facsimile ballot with the 4 or 5 top races. Paisley was very excited about that, so I waited while she filled out her ballot. Then she joined me as I sat down at a table and filled out mine.

When we were done, I let her feed my ballot into the scanner. I was the 194th person to vote at that precinct. She got two “I voted” stickers — one from the Kids Vote guy and another from the regular people. She stuck the second one right in the middle of her forehead.

When we exited, the line was about the same length it had been when we went in.

24. Submitted by Pat Backen on 11/04/2008 - 06:49 pm.

No line at Robbinsdale VFW at 4:30 or so. All went smoothly and the kids helped vote for President and the local school referendum.

Our 13 year old has been very excited about the campaign and asked to go along to vote.

I’m thrilled that he was able to “cast his first vote” in such a historic election!

25. Submitted by John Olson on 11/04/2008 - 07:51 pm.

We did our voting place at 4:45 pm. No line at all, but we did overhear one person to the other say, ‘OK, we are over 2000 now…2023 with that lady right there…”

The poll worker said it had been steady all day.

26. Submitted by Kathy Hansen on 11/06/2012 - 11:21 am.

Marcy-Holmes

In line @ 9:15 this morning. Much shorter wait and much less diversity in line than in 2008. I was number 500 to vote today. In 2008 at around the same time, my number was in the 700s. Lots of young people registering at the polling place, however.