Have you voted?

I just got back from voting at Pearl Park in South Mpls. I was the only voter in the place. It’s dark and raining and mid-morning isn’t exactly rush hour, but I don’t recall every having the place to myself before. The poll workers said the early morning turnout was decent.

If you have voted, feel free to comment on the level of activity at your polling place, and if you want to tell who you voted for and why, well, it’s a free country.

1. Submitted by Joe Williams on 08/10/2010 - 10:58 am.

Valley View Elementary School in Columbia Heights was awfully quiet. The poll judges looked really bored.

2. Submitted by John E Iacono on 08/10/2010 - 11:08 am.

Prince of Peach Lutheran, Precinct 10 in St Louis Park, had one person besides me there at 10:00. There are about 2500 registered voters in the precinct at my last count. I was number 91 for the day.

If normal patterns hold there, I estimate 10-12% turnout based on these numbers, in this heavily democratic precinct.

I wasn’t asked to be an election judge this year. When asked about it the chief judge said they had received a LOT of new persons wanting to serve, so some got dropped. In the past, they have had trouble recruiting a repub judge from this precinct. I wonder if that has changed in this cycle.

3. Submitted by Greg Kapphahn on 08/10/2010 - 11:14 am.

My rural township hall in the lakes country had already had a scattering of voters by the time I voted (around 8 a.m.). There was one other person voting when I did.

Not exactly a crowd, but not bad for a primary election, either.

4. Submitted by Kimbers Cadieux on 08/10/2010 - 11:19 am.

I voted at the Unitarian Society at about 10:15.

While all the places to fill out the ballots were taken, it wasn’t overly busy- very manageable.

I asked one of the election judges how many people had voted already and she said just over 200.

5. Submitted by Lora Jones on 08/10/2010 - 11:23 am.

Anne Sullivan School Minneapolis CD5 — I got there @7:10 and was #10 to scan in my ballot, with a couple behind me. So it was pretty darned slow — but we have 2 School Board positions open, so I’m hoping people will get out for that

6. Submitted by Pat McGee on 08/10/2010 - 11:53 am.

I sure wish the polls would open at 6am as they do in many states. I start work at 7.

7. Submitted by Charles Leck on 08/10/2010 - 11:56 am.

I voted right at 7 o’clock this morning. There were 8 people there. A friend told me he was voter number 44 at 8:30. I decided who to vote for when I was standing in the booth with pen in hand (Keliher). Chas.

8. Submitted by Matt Lewis on 08/10/2010 - 12:02 pm.

I voted at the VFW in Lyn-Lake around 10. There was one other person voting, and when I submitted my ballot, I was the 86th person to vote. The two of us had to wait out the rain for 10 minutes before it let up enough to walk home.

9. Submitted by Hiram Foster on 08/10/2010 - 12:03 pm.

I was the 50th voter at 10am.

10. Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 08/10/2010 - 12:18 pm.

Voted, St. Louis Park Jr. High. Only one there besides the judges. Didn’t think to look at the numbers I’m afraid. Alls I know is I got my sticker.

11. Submitted by Ray Schoch on 08/10/2010 - 12:30 pm.

I was voter #14 at the Shingle Creek Community Center at 7:25 this morning. I’d characterize turnout as “skimpy.” I wasn’t the only voter there, but there was also no line, and several voting machines were going unused.

12. Submitted by Mike Ring on 08/10/2010 - 12:40 pm.

I was voter #3 at about 7:05 in Highland Park in St. Paul. There were quite a few people in there voting before work, especially in the other precinct that votes in the basement of that church.

13. Submitted by Paul Brandon on 08/10/2010 - 01:10 pm.

#7–
    Absentee ballots are easy to get if regular voting is inconvenient. I’ve done it when I’ve been out door knocking on election day — my wife has done it when she was an election judge at a different precinct from where she votes.

Voted at the BEC Govt Center in Mankato — at noon, 75th person to vote. I suspect that’s normal for an off year primary with no exciting local elections.

14. Submitted by Dana DeMaster on 08/10/2010 - 02:11 pm.

At Hancock Elementary in St. Paul at 7 a.m. I was number 15 and we were all lined up outside when they opened.

Pat, state law requires employers to let employees have time off to vote if they cannot vote before or after work. They don’t have to pay you, but they can’t penalize you either. My sister works 12 hour shifts (7 a.m. to 7 p.m.) and arranges to come in work 10 minutes late so she can vote.

15. Submitted by Jessica Fischer on 08/10/2010 - 02:24 pm.

I was #180 at Sabathani in South Minneapolis at about 2:00…

16. Submitted by David Greene on 08/10/2010 - 02:45 pm.

I was voter #82 in the Wedge (Ballentine VFW) at 8:30am.

17. Submitted by Duke Powell on 08/10/2010 - 02:46 pm.

I was #124 at 1:45pm at Burnsville Precinct 7.

18. Submitted by Joshua Moberg on 08/10/2010 - 03:55 pm.

I was #227 at St. Helena’s Catholic Church in S. Minneapolis, Ward 12 at 11:30am.

19. Submitted by rolf westgard on 08/10/2010 - 04:20 pm.

It appeared to be light at the Macalester Plymouth Church adjacent to Macalester College. I was there for a church volunteer chore, having voted absentee.

20. Submitted by Brian Simon on 08/11/2010 - 08:11 am.

My wife was #8 at just past 7 AM; I was #405 at about 7:15 PM. When I explained the ballot scanner to my 3 yr old, the election judge looked a little ticked when I said “the ballots are stored safely down there in case they need to do a recount.”