Bill Clinton $1,000 a head fund-raiser for Mark Dayton

Former Pres. Bill Clinton will appear with DFL guv candidate Mark Dayton Tuesday evening at the Graves Hotel in Minneapolis at 8 p.m. The event is a fund-raiser. It appears that Clinton will not make any more public appearance than that on this visit. Dayton spokester Katie Tinucci said Clinton might also speak to the press, but he will not hold a big public event for non-donors.

Tickets to the fund-raiser are $1,000 and up. Those wanting a picture taken with Clinton can donate $10,000.

It had previously been reported that Clinton would appear with Dayton. This is the first news of the details.

1. Submitted by Peder DeFor on 09/10/2010 - 08:59 am.

$10k, huh? Oligarchy!

And speaking of Clinton, if you’re worried that money given to charities is actually a route to unethical behavior, please note that foreign entities can legally give unlimited amounts to Bill Clinton’s charities and enrich the family of the current Sec State. If you believe that money corrupts, then surely this should be very bothersome.

2. Submitted by Ray Schoch on 09/10/2010 - 10:19 am.

Oligarchy, indeed. I thought Clinton did a capable job, especially given the problems created for him by both himself and right wing radicals, but if I had $10,000 to spare, there are a host of ways I’d choose to spend that money that don’t involve a photo opportunity with a former president.

It IS bothersome that foreign entities can legally give unlimited amounts to Clinton charities. It’s also bothersome that foreign entities can legally own U.S. corporations, but they do.

It’s hard to see how contributions to Clinton charities enrich the Clinton family, however.

3. Submitted by Richard Schulze on 09/10/2010 - 10:23 am.

There is nothing new about using celebrities and high profile politicians to fund raise and campaign for a candidate. Both the GOP and the DFL do it locally and nationally. If half term governor Sarah Palin were to campaign and fund raise for the GOP candidates in MN how would that be any different? Oligarchy, really….

4. Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 09/10/2010 - 10:42 am.

Yeah, but who’s paying to see Bush and how much?

5. Submitted by Thomas Swift on 09/10/2010 - 10:45 am.

I might be tempted, if he’d sign my humidor.

6. Submitted by m. claire on 09/12/2010 - 08:25 pm.

Thomas, you are funny. I like your opin’s, even though I agree with virtually none of them. Gives me hope that someday we can get back to the days of civility where we can say “I agree to disagree with you.”