Democrats, Republicans, Hot Air Balloons

A friend sends this along. I don’t know it’s origin and since there are no facts in it, there’s nothing to check, and I’ve spent the morning getting reacquainted with my dog so…:

A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him:

“Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don’t know where I am.”

The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, “You’re in a hot air balloon, approximately 30 feet above ground elevation of 2,346 feet above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude.

She rolled her eyes and said, “You must be an Obama Democrat.

“I am,” replied the man. “How did you know?”

“Well,” answered the balloonist, “everything you told me is technically correct. But I have no idea what to do with your information, and I’m still lost. Frankly, you’ve not been much help to me.”

The man smiled and responded, “You must be a Republican.”

“I am,” replied the balloonist. “How did you know?”

“Well,” said the man, “you don’t know where you are — or where you are going. You’ve risen to where you are , due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem.  You’re in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but somehow, now it’s my fault.”

1. Submitted by Mark Heuring on 11/09/2010 - 12:29 pm.

Old joke — heard it with the parties reversed back in 2008.

2. Submitted by Joey White on 11/09/2010 - 12:35 pm.

Its origins have the Republican and Democrat switched around: http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/jokes/bljokehotair.htm.

3. Submitted by Ray Schoch on 11/09/2010 - 12:56 pm.

Pardon my lack of sophistication, but I hadn’t encountered this one before, and I enjoyed it. Might be one to store away for future elections, whether parties need to be reversed or not.

4. Submitted by Lora Jones on 11/09/2010 - 01:18 pm.

It only makes sense when the Repug is in the balloon.

5. Submitted by Tim Larson on 11/09/2010 - 06:54 pm.

//It only makes sense when the Repug is in the balloon.

Only if your mind is closed.

6. Submitted by Hal Sanders on 11/09/2010 - 06:58 pm.

Glad you got a laugh out of it. Maybe it will provide you some solace for the events of the past week.

7. Submitted by Keith Butcher on 11/10/2010 - 11:18 am.

The first time I heard this joke, the person on the ground was an engineer and the person in the balloon was a lawyer. As an engineer that has worked with a lot of lawyers, I think it is funnier when focused on their occupations.

8. Submitted by Steve Rose on 11/11/2010 - 02:45 pm.

Keith:

I too heard this many years ago with the lawyer in the balloon and the engineer on the ground. The engineer answers the lawyer’s question, and the lawyer criticizes the engineer for his correct answer. As you said, works well for the occupations. I don’t see that it translates to political parties.