Pawlenty on Obama: “A manure spreader in a windstorm”

Tim Pawlenty via NBC News to a crowd of about 20 at the Coffee Cup Cafe in Sully, Iowa reacting to Obama’s public statement of yesterday:

“The president of the United States addressed the country yesterday afternoon. And we saw in his remarks – both in content and tone – that his call to the nation that he used in 2008 of hope and change became hope and blame. And he began to act like a manure spreader in a wind storm, throwing things in every direction without any real focus.”

1. Submitted by Rachel Kahler on 08/09/2011 - 01:36 pm.

Very clever, T-Paw. I do have to say that at least something will get fertilized that way. In contrast, Mr. Pawlenty didn’t even manage to spread ANY… er… fertilizer in this state. If you follow the analogy, Pawlenty has been acting like a plugged manure spreader–full of it.

2. Submitted by Jim Camery on 08/09/2011 - 01:43 pm.

The lifetime lawyer/politician is suddenly homespun.

3. Submitted by Carol Flynn on 08/09/2011 - 01:43 pm.

However, a ruthless hypocrit like Pawlenty can focus his manure.

4. Submitted by Ray Schoch on 08/09/2011 - 03:32 pm.

Having spent several years of my youth in farm-related tasks, including quite a number of hours pulling a manure spreader behind a tractor in the late 1950s, I can personally attest to the fact that a “wind storm” is not necessary for “things” to be thrown in every direction. That Mr. Pawlenty believes he has more and better focus does nothing to improve the quality of what he’s throwing.

I say that, by the way, as someone profoundly disappointed in Mr. Obama. Were there a credible challenger to his nomination, I’d likely support that person. Lacking that, however, I’ll have to support Obama because the Republican alternative(s) all seem genuinely threatening to the future of the republic.

5. Submitted by Eric Larson on 08/09/2011 - 04:14 pm.

Note to Liberals –
    The following remarks just don’t hunt no-more.

Voter ID is racist. It passes everywhere, including in your camp.

DOMA Laws and amendments. They were good enough for Wellstone. Calling supporters of such policy bigots, hurts your credibility with all but a few.

The Teaparty is a terrorist organization. Your getting desperate.

Referring to those you oppose as Hitler. My mother and her sisters would say ‘thats a no-no’

Hope and change is just 15 months away. Oh btw. Ask President Obama not to talk when the markets are open. It really messed up all of our 401k’s.

6. Submitted by Ray Schoch on 08/09/2011 - 05:50 pm.

Note to Eric Larson:

Show me the voter fraud that makes voter ID necessary.

What sort of marriage are you talking about? Which of Newt Gingrich’s marriages would you consider to be “sacred?”

No, Eric. Not “terrorist,” “terrible.” The Tea Party is a “terrible” organization. There’s a difference.

I’m opposed to people who wrap themselves in the flag while they mindlessly follow someone else’s demagoguery. I don’t generally call them “Hitler” unless they insist that I’m unpatriotic because I don’t agree with them.

Change may be just 15 months away, all right, but “hope” has nothing to do with it unless you’re a hedge fund manager. 401(k) accounts were messed up by those same hedge fund managers, and the president at the time was not named Obama. I’d suggest that you go back to the ALEC meeting, Eric, and see if you can find more nuanced versions of these tired old shibboleths.

7. Submitted by Hiram Foster on 08/10/2011 - 05:47 am.

Tim always had a bit of a tin ear, particularly where vulgarity is concerned. He is the un cool kid, who aspires to coolness but always gets everything just a little bit wrong. He’s the guy who can’t tell a good joke right.

8. Submitted by Ann Richards on 08/10/2011 - 08:35 am.

Eric-
    ..and your comments relate to this article, how? I enjoy reading comments on this site because they almost always refer to the article, as opposed to the Strib- where they are degraded to partisan rants. I would also suggest you need new companions if those are the comments you are hearing from Liberals. I would also suggest you blog if you have things to say, just for the sake of saying them. That is a great place for sweeping generalizations and unsupported comments.

9. Submitted by C.S. Senne on 08/10/2011 - 11:51 am.

Timmy’s so sophisticated in thought and speech. Yesterday Paul Krugman referred to T-Paw as “Sarah Palin in a suit.”

10. Submitted by Jim Roth on 08/10/2011 - 11:03 pm.

TP has been practicing on glib one liners for a long time now. Minnesota would be better off if he spent a little more time focusing on policy and the well being of the state and its citizens. He has basically become an empty suit.