Romney ad #1: ‘What I’d do on Day #1’

The Romney for President campaign just released its first ad of the general election campaign. A mild, positive-toned spot that nonetheless emphasizes three policy differences with President Obama, he focuses on what he would do immediately upon assuming the oval office. According to the Wall Street Journal, the campaign isn’t saying when, where or how often this will air. Here’s the ad:

1. Submitted by Neal Rovick on 05/18/2012 - 10:07 am.

This Mitt? “I’m not familiar

This Mitt?

“I’m not familiar precisely with exactly what I said, but I stand by what I said whatever it was.”

XL pipeline construction employment would be less than rounding error of monthly jobs report. “Commonsense” health care reform–what’s that? Tax breaks for “job creators”–how’s that worked for the last 3 decades?

Yes, that Mitt:

2. Submitted by James Hamilton on 05/18/2012 - 10:09 am.

Whoa, that’s a lot of power

that the President doesn’t actually have. But it’s the vision that matters, right?

3. Submitted by Ross Willits on 05/18/2012 - 10:25 am.

Day 1. Oops. Can’t do those things

#1 Keystone: For an international project like this, the State Department is legally bound to do a study and make recommendations. Republican legislation forced the State Department to issue a ruling before the study was complete, so the project HAD to be rejected. If Romney wants to approve the pipeline on Day 1, he’d better get the State Department to finish the work his party made them stop.

#2 Taxes on “Job Creators”: If anyone thinks that the Bush tax cuts aren’t going to be extended in the Lame Duck session regardless of who is going to be inaugurated in January, they’re fooling themselves. This “promise” will be kept weeks before Day 1.

#3 “Obamacare”: It’s legislation. He can’t overturn it with an Executive Order. And “common sense” health care solutions? He must be talking about single payer, right?

4. Submitted by Ray Schoch on 05/18/2012 - 10:59 am.

Well, the phrasing is mild…

… but the message is the agenda of the one percent and big corporations, with a side dish of pandering to short-term anxieties about oil supply and jobs that won’t be solved by constructing a pipeline to bring a fungible commodity across the prairies, where it can be (and often will be) sold to countries other than the United States long after the temporary construction jobs have disappeared.

Note that there’s not even a hint of what those “tax reforms” might be, or what health care reform would replace the “Obamacare” that hasn’t even been implemented yet.

If you like the idea of a return to serfdom for all but the upper 5 percent of incomes, Romney is definitely your candidate.

5. Submitted by Clayton Haapala on 05/18/2012 - 01:06 pm.

And on day two…

Mitt would change his mind.

6. Submitted by Rosalind Kohls on 05/18/2012 - 02:41 pm.

Day One

Romney won’t have the power to overturn legislation, but he can do what Obama did, grant waivers. Obama granted Obamacare waivers to four states, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Ohio and Tennesee, that I know of. Obama also granted waivers to seven SEIU units and 729 other individual waivers by 2011. Romney, using Obama’s playbook, can grant an Obamacare waiver to all 50 states to give Congress time to pull the thing out by the roots.

7. Submitted by Richard Schulze on 05/18/2012 - 09:16 pm.

On day one, Mr. Romney also said he’d authorize naming China as a currency manipulator.

Maybe I’ll vote for him.
    I’d like to tell the grand-kids how things were during a full-blown trade war.

They say that wars stimulate the economy, but I don’t beleive a trade war does.

8. Submitted by Paul Brandon on 05/19/2012 - 10:01 am.

He’ll put his dog

on top of the White House and hose it down.
    Then he’ll hose the rest of us.

9. Submitted by Dennis Tester on 05/20/2012 - 10:46 am.

On Romney’s first day as president

we’ll have a president who knows what he’s doing. And that’s enough for me.

• Submitted by James Hamilton on 05/21/2012 - 09:30 am.

Knows what about which subjects?

I’ll grant you that Obama had no foreign policy/defense legs to stand on when he took the White House. But where are Romney’s? Would Romney be another GWB, letting himself be led down the garden path by a new crop of neo-con hawks, out to spread democracy across the globe, no matter how many lives (or whose lives) it cost?

For my money, Mitt’s just another Republican trying to outdo his daddy. The last one was enough of a disaster for this century, thanks.

• Submitted by Paul Brandon on 05/21/2012 - 10:13 am.

Romney

may know what he’s doing (although some of his recent statements raise questions about that).
      The real question is, do YOU know what he’s doing?
      And who he’s doing it to?

10. Submitted by James Hamilton on 05/21/2012 - 09:22 am.

Not this time around, Dennis.

While I very much doubt that Mr. Romney will take the White House, I’m fairly certain the Senate is still out of reach for the Republican party.