If we tut-tut at Trump for his tweets’ tone, what about this by Sen. Warren?

If we’re going to tut-tut at Donald Trump for the tone of his tweets, what must we think of Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., for this one tweeted Tuesday afternoon:

Tut-tut at her too?

Agree with her?

Criticize her for calling Hillary Clinton “a girl”?

1. Submitted by Mary Flister on 08/10/2016 - 05:56 pm.

Name calling attacks

I prefer that our leaders attack policies, statements and positions of others in the political realm. I believe that most of our parents and most of us always tried to teach our children that calling people with whom we disagreed by derogatory names was just plain wrong and particularly unhelpful in leading to solutions to our disagreements. Can we all just agree to be responsible adults?

2. Submitted by Paul Brandon on 08/10/2016 - 07:06 pm.

Warren’s designated role

in the Clinton campaign seems to be replying in kind to Trump.
    So she’s putting her attacks in terms that Trump and the Trumpettes can understand.

3. Submitted by Benjamin Riggs on 08/10/2016 - 07:56 pm.

Trump’s success, like that of any strong-arm dictator, is entirely reliant on machismo as his political capital. Warren’s comment is a message directed as his supporters, not hers, attempting to undermine his machismo. She is adopting the misogynist world-view of Trump-as-bully, a reference frame many of his supporters strongly embrace, and attacking his strength from within that context, pointing out he is losing to someone that, within that world-view, should be far weaker than Trump.

Implying that losing a competition to a woman is demeaning is, itself, a misogynist implication, which is then compounded by the infantilizing language of describing Clinton as a ‘girl’. The implication that maybe Warren holds such a misogynist viewpoint is readily dismissed by the rest of her work. However, one can definitely argue that making such misogynist remarks still does harm and further perpetuates the damaging viewpoint she is adopting in that tweet.

Personally, I don’t fault her for using this tactic.

• Submitted by chuck holtman on 08/10/2016 - 08:34 pm.

You analyze it well

Though I would draw it out also in a different way – she is seeking to goad him, and so to goad him she must operate at the infantile level of insult at which his buttons are pushed. The problem is that she will risk being seen as infantile, as opposed to using infantilism as a tactic.

Earlier, the goading was a terrific tactic to get him to drop his gloves and say things that would demonstrate who he really is. At this point he has long left behind any pretense of being a mature adult with actual substance, so the risk of the goading reflecting poorly on Ms Warren outweighs its tactical value and she probably should consider it a job well done and move on.

4. Submitted by Ray Schoch on 08/11/2016 - 07:32 am.

Answering the rhetorical

Yes, we should.

But privately, I won’t (“You go, Elizabeth!!”).

The headline question is a point well-taken, and I’m inclined to agree with Mr. Holtman’s view. Mr. Trump long ago made plain his lack of qualification for the office he’s seeking, and after a certain point, which we’ve probably reached, Senator Warren should move on to helping Mrs. Clinton get elected in other ways.

5. Submitted by Tim Smith on 08/11/2016 - 08:46 am.

I was horrified when I first read that tweet. Childish, playground gibberish from someone who fashions herself a leader of our country (really just the leader of the far left but no one has told her that yet). Not the talk of an intelligent, balanced, thoughtful person. Take down Trump in mature ways, don’t act like him.

6. Submitted by RB Holbrook on 08/11/2016 - 09:42 am.

Compare and Contrast

While Senator Warren’s tweet is juvenile (although probably meant ironically), it strains the mind to think this is somehow comparable to the wild rantings Trump has presented us.

Is this what the search for journalistic balance has come to?

• Submitted by Jim Million on 08/11/2016 - 11:50 am.

Perhaps more to the point:

“jerkalistic” balance… Probably really doesn’t take much weight to balance that beam.

7. Submitted by Joel Stegner on 08/12/2016 - 07:19 am.

Speaking up

The media has downplayed how Trump indirectly suggested that if Hillary wins and moves ahead on support of gun control (which he called doing away with Second Amendment), a way to stop it would be murder Hillary and/or the judges she appoints, just as has happened with four other Presidents.

Warren has the courage to mock such an outrageous suggestion. By the way, threatening the President with physical harm is a crime, Mt. Trump. What she did was referred to the insecurity of a small man who demeans everyone who opposes him. It is a tame approach compared to the incitement to violence always present with Trump.

Women have the right to defend themselves from the many abuses they suffer from men who overly value their opinions and needs. Men like Trump think women need to submit. Dream on, boys, and grow up.

8. Submitted by Craig Johnson on 08/13/2016 - 11:10 am.

Trump Parody

Elizabeth Warren has never said a mean thing about anyone ever. She would never attacked Idiot Donald – as many many people are saying, believe me, you can believe me. She would never criticize Tax Cheat Trump for not paying taxes. I know, many people are writing about that all the time, I’m just sayin’.

Of course, when she says something, it comes from the heart, just like Dumb Donald, and would never say she never said something that the press reported widely. I know, you can believe me, I will be your voice.

The difference between Warren and Trump is too great to draw any comparison. They share nothing in common – Thank goodness.

Aside from Craig: even given the rich and fertile comedic ground that Trump creates, I am not proclaiming myself as a comedy writer. However, painting Warren and Trump with the same brush compelled me to offer my interpretation of the situation.