Sayings of the Donald: the Persians

Donald Trump knows Persians. Great negotiators, those Persians. The rules of English grammar – not so much, but some, but I digress, he had an uncle, brilliant man, same genes as Trump, and grammar like you wouldn’t believe.

OK, the gibberish above, I just made up. But, from Slate, via my friend Pasquino, here is an actual “sentence” spoken recently by Donald Trump, on the subject of Persians and nuclear power and how smart he is, among other things, in Sun City, South Carolina, on July 21:

Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the  smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went  there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right — who would have thought?), but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians  are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

1. Submitted by Jim Million on 08/15/2016 - 03:12 pm.

Waa Hoo!!

To tread on another of today’s contributions: Trump in a nutshell here, Eric.
    I do fear you risk your psyche greatly by following so much of this “erraticism.”
    [Does it matter if one goes blind in a Black Hole? I’m starting to have trouble seeing my hand.]

• Submitted by Jim Million on 08/15/2016 - 05:23 pm.

News Flash (in the pan or not?)

C-SPAN: August 15, 2016 Donald Trump Foreign Policy Speech in Youngstown

Well, everyone should log in and replay this one. While channel surfing just after 4:00 today, I stopped on C-SPAN at a very different kind of Trump speech. This one was calmly delivered with professional tone and demeanor, yup, with very good techniques of voice, expression, gesture and emphasis.

Pretty remarkable, yes? This was exactly what media critics and others have noted to be missing. No wild man, no buffoon, no nonsense. Shocking for many…intriguing for me. I followed his technique as well as his words. Even when delineating the Obama/Clinton Middle East failures (as he put it), Trump was amazingly professionally moderate in tone and characterization. This really was a very good use of technique.

Who knows if this is the turn toward rational thought and behavior many have awaited, and most others have declared impossible. I offer this comment simply as the first example of “customary” conduct of delivery and expected cohesion, coherence and continuity of message organization. Certainly, Trump used the prompter, as any sensible speaker does when delivering an official statement for public record.

If MinnPost readers wish to experience a shock or truly know what Donald Trump specifically proposes, the coverage is available for replay at:

2. Submitted by RB Holbrook on 08/15/2016 - 03:54 pm.

Mr. Eloquence!

I was going to make some remark about “stream of consciousness,” but this isn’t a stream, it’s a torrent.

3. Submitted by Ray Schoch on 08/16/2016 - 07:53 am.

Stream

…of consciousness, perhaps, but coherence? Not so much.

4. Submitted by Sonja Dahl on 08/16/2016 - 09:22 am.

This is what happens

This is very similar to the way Sarah Palin speaks and I don’t think that is a coincidence. It is also similar to listening to anyone who has been a consumer of right-wing media for many years. What happens is that small phrases of buzz words begin to stand in for entire talking points. So to Trump’s (or Palin’s) audience, this all makes. They just need to hear words tossed out like Iran, liberals, nuclear deal, killed us, and the audience knows that they are referring to memes that were repeating endlessly on Fox News, et al. To the rest of us, yes, it sounds crazy and incoherent, because we lack the propaganda context of these special words.

Benghazi!

5. Submitted by Jim Million on 08/16/2016 - 07:21 pm.

Afterthought:

I am always intrigued to find many comments with reference to “Fox News” [FNC, I believe].

I’d like to know how many readers hear or watch any FNC programming, as opposed to how many forward references from one or more secondary sources. CNN, MSNBC, FNC…all have pretty much straight news during the daytime hours, and “Commentary” formats after supper. I do understand Hannity has a “Little Rush” radio show as well as his “square head, right wing evening spot.” Have never heard either Little or Big Rush.

For those truly interested in getting the straight stuff, I recommend C-SPAN coverage of House/Senate Floor and Committee sessions. Can’t get any more “honest” than that.