Trying to figure out what Michele Bachmann means when she says, ‘This is the last election,’ if Clinton wins

REUTERS/Larry Downing
Michele Bachmann: "This is the last election when we even have a chance to vote for somebody who will stand up for godly moral principles. This is it."

My ol’ friend Michele Bachmann has been back in the news a fair bit lately as an official member of Team Trump. According to this Christian Broadcasting Network piece, “Bachmann is one of Trump’s formal evangelical advisors and advises him informally on foreign policy.”

In an interview with CBN’s David Brody, while explicitly saying that she didn’t want to be melodramatic, Bachmann predicted that if Hillary Clinton wins the presidency, the 2016 election will be “the last election.” Here’s the quote (and this link includes video of the interview).

If Clinton wins, Bachmann says: I don’t want to be melodramatic but I do want to be truthful. I believe without a shadow of a doubt this is the last election. This is it. This is the last election.

So much for not being melodramatic. Because of her past record of relying on biblical prophecy to know the future, I assumed she was talking some kind of “End of Days” scenario. But no, she talking about the changing demographics of the United States, a nation that will, if current trends continue, soon become a “majority minority” nation, meaning that neither whites nor any other racial or ethnic group with make up a majority of the population. (It’s already the case that the under age 5 population of the U.S. is “majority minority.”)

Or maybe that’s not what she’s saying. Maybe it’s not a racial analysis, maybe it’s about the Muslim hordes emigrating in, or maybe it’s about heathenism. Because when she sought to clarify for CBN what she meant by “last election,” she said that if Hillary Clinton wins, 2016 will be “The last election where we even have a chance to vote for someone who will stand up for Godly, moral principles.” (Apparently, she sees Trump as godly/moral.)

Now there’s some race and some religion and some Founding Father worship and anti-abortion and some swing-state analysis and some special-ability-to-tell-good-from-evil-and-know-what-God-wants mixed together here, as only Bachmann can mix them, which I hope she will clarify for the benefit of those seeking her guidance on the Trump-Clinton choice. But the best I can do for right now is give you the whole quote in case you don’t watch the interview. Here goes.

According to Bachmann:

The reason why I say that [it will be the last election] David is because it’s a math problem. It’s a math problem of demographics and a changing United States. If you look at the numbers of people who vote and who lives in the country and who Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton want to bring into the country, this is the last election when we even have a chance to vote for somebody who will stand up for godly moral principles. This is it.

Hillary Clinton, I’m not judging her spiritually or where she is at, but we know where she’s going to come down on Supreme Court justices, she’s pro-Planned Parenthood. She’s for everything I’m against. I think it’s very clear. We’ve got a day and night contrast. This isn’t even close between what Donald Trump stands for and espouses and what Hillary Clinton stands for and espouses.

People look at Trump and he can be coarse and a little crude and all the rest and I say, “Get over it!” Get over it because what he is going to do is uphold religious liberty and advance the constitutional republic that our founders gave us.

She [Hillary Clinton] has said herself that she is going to grant wholesale amnesty to people from the Third World who are here in the United States and we hear this fake number of 11 million illegal aliens in the United States. Wrong! It’s about 30 to 40 million illegal aliens currently in the United States. Thirty to 40 million! What Hillary Clinton’s ultimate goal is is to secure her reelection. The very first thing she will do as President Hillary Clinton is this: she will have a wholesale amnesty so that Republicans will never again have the chance at winning Florida or Texas. If we can’t win Florida or Texas, it’s game over.

All the Never Trumpers, all the establishment Republicans that are out there saying, We’ll just take our chances and four years from now we’ll have a better candidate, then we can take the White House.” It’s not going to happen. It’s not going to happen. Hillary Clinton will ensure it won’t happen because she’s going to change the demographics of the United States so that no Republican will ever win again.

God says to every nation for all of time, I set before you life and death, what are you going to choose?” If you look at the book of Genesis, you don’t even have to get beyond Chapter 3 to see God gives us life. The first thing he gives mankind is life. What does man choose? Death. We choose rebellion and death. You go from Genesis all through the Bible to the book of Revelation; man stupidly makes the same decision over and over again by rejecting life and choosing death. What I’m telling you is that’s what we’re looking at now in this country.

So I hope that clarifies what she means.

In another portion of the same interview, Bachmann divulged that God had chosen Trump to be the Republican nominee, even though there were others in the Republican field, like Former Gov. Mike Huckabee or Dr. Ben Carson, who cut a more typical evangelical figure. She herself, she acknowledged, had favored Sen. Ted Cruz for the nomination. As in:

“I actually supported Ted Cruz. I thought he was fabulous. But I also see that at the end of the day God raised up, I believe, Donald Trump who was going to be the nominee in this election. I don’t think God sits things out. He’s a sovereign God. Donald Trump became our nominee.”

The proof that God wanted Trump to be the nominee was simply that Trump is the nominee, she said, adding “I do know that the Bible is true and that Daniel teaches that the Most High God, which is one of God’s names, is the one who lifts up who He will and takes down who He will.”

Here’s another clip from the CBN interview in which she elucidates the bit above.

In case someone reading this is new to town, Bachmann is a former Republican state Senator, and then a four-term member of Congress from Minnesota’s Sixth District. During her years in public life, she was outspokenly evangelical and homophobic. She was an early leader of the Tea Party movement and founder of the House Tea Party Caucus. She was briefly a candidate for president in 2012, but dropped out after a sixth-place finish in the Iowa caucuses.

As to why I called her my ol’ friend at the top, we are not really friends, but I did cover her, a lot, from the time of her first bid for Congress back when I was with the Strib, until the end of her presidential bid after I had begun MinnPosting. She eventually stopped returning my calls.

1. Submitted by RB Holbrook on 09/02/2016 - 02:06 pm.

What God Wants

Every time I read something Michele Bachmann says, I feel like I have a hangover.

If Trump’s nomination means God wanted him to be the nominee, can we not infer the same thing about Hillary Clinton/ She has the nomination, so that must have been what God wanted. He obviously does not want Trump to be President. If he did, surely he would be doing better in the polls.

If there is thunder tonight, it will be God banging his head against the walls of heaven. “That’s not what I meant!”

2. Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 09/02/2016 - 02:13 pm.

Dude

Seriously, you’ve gone from all Trump all the time to Bachmann? don’t lower the bar any further. Is there anything more inconsequential than something Bachmann says?

Basically Bachmann is freaking out because she got left behind in the last Rapture.

• Submitted by Roy Everson on 09/05/2016 - 05:30 am.

who what when where why how

If she is advising the Orange Nationalist on how best to position Christian America in a world approaching the End Times — that’s news, by cracky.

3. Submitted by Jim Bernstein on 09/02/2016 - 02:52 pm.

You Could Not Make This Stuff Up!

The most amazing part of this piece is Ms. Bachmann’s claim that Donald Trump is the candidate “who will stand up for Godly, moral principles.” Honestly, I don’t think even his closest friends and advisors would claim that statement as an accurate assessment of Mr. Trump. Nor would he I suspect.

If God chose Donald Trump to be the Republican nominee, would Ms. Bachmann accept Hillary Clinton as God’s choice for president if she wins the presidency? Just curious.

4. Submitted by charles thompson on 09/02/2016 - 03:09 pm.

dude 2

Please no more Michelle. She has been our very own Sarah Palin, but they are both past their sell by date.

5. Submitted by Ted Hathaway on 09/02/2016 - 08:26 pm.

Another nutbar

This nonsense is less depressing that the fact she served four terms for the 6th district. Truth be told, she’d probably still be in Congress had she not retired. She was part of that increasing common breed of Republican that has no ideas but to shrink or obstruct the work of government and who, in fact, is actively opposed to the idea of having a functioning government (except for little matters like keeping out foreigners, screwing the poor and oppressing non-whites). People like Bachman are more than simply further evidence of the intellectual bankruptcy of the Republican party – they are traitors, actively seeking to undermine their own country with their oppressive, racist, and reactionary agenda. Thank goodness she is out of politics. Now if she would only do us all a favor and get entirely out of the public view.

6. Submitted by Joe Musich on 09/02/2016 - 10:56 pm.

I will not ….

resort to name calling. But as I go through the arguments both for and against finger pointing, loud gawfaws, stomach wrenching cramps and the wonderment of innocent shock and awe as opposed to causing both I am perplexed as how to react. I need a dog sitting by my side to editorially comment both on my reactions and the words of Michelle and her translators. It is like being thrown back to a perticulsrily socially churning episode of the original Star Trek series. All the players are there carrying out their roles. The innocent every person end timers are locked into their extreme mortality as Jim and crew attempt to rescue them from inner occupancy by a cowardly creature bringing souls to their heels with self doubt and spiritual insecurity. Bones is insisting these self doubters toughen using his own colloquial cures. Spock logic is befuddled. Jim shouts to Scottie to go into warp drive and leave the moment. It is too dangerous to be preoccupied with and could lead to ruminating destruction. Once again Jim shouts, “Out ! Out ! Damn Scott !”

• Submitted by Tom Christensen on 09/03/2016 - 11:46 am.

Republican Party Encapsulation

Reading what Joe Musich wrote, All the players are there carrying out their roles, encapsulated the Republican Party for me. All the Republican players are carrying out their “own roles” as each person feels they are the leader of the party. Each is a leader, in their own mind, and none are connected in any way that makes any sense. The three peas in a pod, Trump, Palin, and Bachmann belong together for their common thoughts, but they are not what America needs. The Republicans are a long way from putting forth anyone that could serve as American’s leader. I thought the Republicans had reached the bottom of the barrel with GWB. It looks like they have another half of barrel to go to clean house. It is going to take a long time for the Republicans to get over their tea party beliefs and become viable as part of the mainstream again versus the extreme fringe where they are currently operating from. There will be another election, another autopsy, and another denial that there is anything wrong with the party, despite what the voters are going to tell them in November. I can’t believe a word Trump or his surrogates say. Trump will change what he says now later in the day. The surrogates make up the unbelievable as they go along.

The Democrats need changes too. I’m finding Hillary more and more unfavorable with the Clintonian, reckless, and arrogant style Hillary and Bill operate from. So far she is the lesser of two evils. This is not going to be a comfortable election.

I can’t go third party based on the only thing Jesse Ventura ever said I could agree with. He said once you win as an independent there is no one there to help you. In my eyes we are already at gridlock and a third party winner would only intensify the gridlock.

7. Submitted by Carrie Anderson on 09/03/2016 - 12:33 pm.

Erm.

Nope, nothing clarified. Happy to be in the dark where Bachmann’s concerned.

8. Submitted by C.S. Senne on 09/03/2016 - 01:10 pm.

Thanks!

Thanks, Eric, for continuing to feature in full light of day “our” Michele. This former U.S, House Intelligence Committee member obviously needs at least 12 hours of attention daily; one might wonder if this most recent “testament and witnessing” took place at night. I don’t think she comes out during sunlit hours. Please keep us current on Michele’s evangelism. She makes me laugh. And in these Trumpian Times, I need that!

9. Submitted by Rachel Kahler on 09/06/2016 - 12:58 pm.

Who needs elections?

God apparently picks the nominees, and presumably the final elected individuals. I mean, if He has the power to pick Trump for the GOP nominee without a single vote, why does an omnipotent God leave the rest up to people?

I’m sorry, but Michele is a light from God that we should probably keep hidden under a bushel.

10. Submitted by Robert Moffitt on 09/06/2016 - 03:56 pm.

I wonder how this will happen?

“…she’s going to change the demographics of the United States so that no Republican will ever win again.”

How, I wonder, could ANY president “change the demographics of the United States?”

I think that it is pretty clear that the demographics of the US are changing on their own.

• Submitted by Paul Brandon on 09/06/2016 - 04:20 pm.

List to The Donald

By restricting immigration and deporting ‘undesirables’ ‘real Americans’ can keep us White!
      On the other hand, allowing immigration is the mechanism for demographic change, and Republicans have always been against the Demos.

11. Submitted by Carolyn Jones on 09/20/2016 - 07:32 am.

Let me try and answer your question. For many of us, we feel the Democratic party is taking us away from our Constitution and into a world of global socialism. That is not what our country is about. The Democrats are doing everything they can to create an insurgence of dependent, anti democracy voters and an electoral map that nearly makes it impossible for a Republican, despite the map looking almost all red, to ever win an election. There are a large number of American voters who like our Constitution and the freedoms and liberties it stands for and the ability to work hard and earn your own place in this world.
    Trump wants to put America first, even before party — which some establishment apparently are unwilling to do. They show their stripes that power and elitism come before Country.
    For many of us, this is the last straw. Are we going to stand for Democracy and the Constitution? Or do we go down a path of one world order where America is just another country and liberty and the American dream are lost for the “greater good” of society.