Approval ratings for Trump rise to 44 percent

REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst
President Donald Trump

The approval ratings of President Donald Trump are better than they have been for a long time.

They are still bad. They are still under water (meaning more disapprovers than approvers). But his current bad disapproval number, according to the average of many polls maintained and calculated by HuffPost, stands at an average of 51.2 percent.

Obviously, that’s still above 50 percent. Obviously his approval number (per the Huff Post average) is lower and substantially lower (44.1 percent) than his disapproval number. So don’t uncork the champagne yet, oh ye Trump approvers. You are still outnumbered and by seven percentage points, which is more than a little.

Still, I force myself to repeat, Trump’s current disapproval number is the lowest it has been since March of 2017, two months into his presidency and his approval number is the highest since about the same time.

I say this with a weird sense of pride, in myself, because, unlike the current incumbent, I believe in dealing honestly with facts, even when they are not what I might wish they were.

I am not a huge admirer (nor approver) of Trump for many reasons, including his lying, his egotism, his ignorance, his pettiness, his policies, his hypocrisy, his lack of class or grace, his cruelty toward the less fortunate and, I guess I don’t have to go on but, at the moment, I can’t think of anything much about him that I do admire. And I struggle a bit to understand certain things, including the durability of his appeal to more than 30 percent and – at the moment, according to the HuffPost average — more than 40 percent of Americans of voting age.

Thanks to my current wonderful MinnPost gig (thank you MinnPost readers and members), I am allowed to express my opinions (as I guess I just did above). But I spent most of my adult life as a reporter, and I retain a certain reverence for facts, even for facts that I wish were not facts, such as the fact that Trump’s approval  numbers have been improving recently and are now the best they have been for a year and a half.

So, when I started this little occasional Trump-approval-watch series, I committed to report the numbers honestly, even when I find them a bit strange. There are others who maintain similar averages to HuffPost, and they generally agree within a small range, but my practice has been to rely on HuffPost and to add into each update the weekly Gallup number, because of esteem for Gallup’s long history in the polling game.

So I will add that as of Monday, when Gallup posted its most recent Trump approval number, they found a significant bump up for Trump’s approval number over the past two weekly samples, and he now stands at 51 percent disapproval/44 percent approval, substantially the same as HuffPost.

The full Gallup chart of Trump’s weekly approval ups and downs since the week after his inauguration is viewable here.

1. Submitted by Ray Schoch on 10/18/2018 - 10:27 am.

I share Eric’s dismay that Trump’s approval numbers are even in double digits, much less 40%+. The fact – there’s that term – that a segment of the voting population that large apparently approves of Tump’s boorishness, misogyny, racism and ignorance is more disturbing to me than Trump’s individual acts displaying those less-than-admirable traits.

A lot of people – though not, it should be noted, a majority – voted for a spoiled, privileged child to hold the highest elective office we have, and it appears that many/most of those people remain satisfied with their choice. That fact – there’s that term, again – alone casts doubt upon the future of the republic.

• Submitted by Karen Sandness on 10/18/2018 - 04:19 pm.

Indeed. The current Republican president is a problem, but he is not THE problem.

THE problem is that neither political party has really been exercising stewardship of the nation, instead choosing to bash each other on hot button issues, raise money from corporate interests, and keep the military machine overfed. There’s a reason that 50% of Americans don’t vote. No matter who is in power, their lives are difficult and frustrating, often for reasons that they don’t understand.

The Republicans provide a coherent, if mistaken, scenario that lays the blame entirely on people who do NOT have any political power in this country, deflecting popular resentment away from the people who really make and influence the decisions at the top. The Democrats have been unable to create the same kind of coherent narrative, especially since many are afraid of alienating the corporate contributors that they depend on as heavily as the Republicans do.

I see some hope in the young upstart candidates who are winning local and Congressional nominations with very little money.

• Submitted by John Evans on 10/19/2018 - 12:18 am.

You’re right that Democrats are not getting a strong core message through. It should be simple, like,

1) “I will never vote to cut Social Security. My opponent will.”

2) “I will never vote to cut Medicare. My opponent will.”

3) “My opponent has voted 47 times to allow health insurance companies not to cover pre-existing conditions. I will vote to keep those protections in place.”

They’re already running on those positions, just not forcefully enough. There’s all this gooey crap about being a native Minnesotan who listens and cares. Look at the ads against Jim Hagedorn: He’s a lobbyist, his suitcase is packed and he took $16,000 from somebody (healthcare companies? big pharma? I forget.) The point is, who cares? You have three big, clear-distinction issues, so hammer on therm! Does anyone really care what a good guy Dan Feehan is? I don’t.

2. Submitted by Paul Brandon on 10/18/2018 - 12:03 pm.

I would not use the term ‘significant bump’ for changes within the range of statistical variability for the poll measures. I’d take the median measure as representative until there’s a significant shift in the poll numbers.
    Trump is still unpopular by historical standards.

3. Submitted by John Edwards on 10/18/2018 - 09:38 pm.

Barack Obama’s Gallup poll numbers at the same stage of his presidency:

2010 Oct 18-24 Approval 44 Disapproval 48 No opinion 8

4. Submitted by Curtis Senker on 10/19/2018 - 08:03 am.

Thanks to Trump’s no nonsense negotiations with them, the Mexican government has sent Federal police to stop the parade of people planning to cross their Southern border in order to breach ours.

And just wait until the Q3 GDP is released. Going to be huge.

I just can’t understand how some Americans cannot celebrate our strong comeback. Oh well.

• Submitted by Paul Brandon on 10/19/2018 - 09:45 am.

Maybe because the economic comeback is just a continuation of a trend that began under Obama, as is the beefing up of the Southern border.

• Submitted by Leon Webster on 10/21/2018 - 09:04 pm.

I am not clear on your position. Are you saying it is ok to cheer body slamming reporters, and any number of morally reprehensible things that Trump has done as long as the economy is good?

5. Submitted by Dennis Wagner on 10/19/2018 - 08:54 am.

Watching approval ratings is like watching the stock market, it gyrates day-day but over the long term what is the result, appears so far to be flat. The decision American’s need to make is do you or do you not want a fascism style governemnt leadership, apparently ~ 44% are okl with it and encourage more of it! Peoples rights?, stomp all over them as long as I can make a buck at it, Always has been the republican mantra, So evidently 44% are also OK with running near trillion $ deficits ($778B) when the economy is “huge” begs the question what happens when the economy is not “huge”. You get a pay day loan and your rich, but surprise, sooner or later you have to pay it back, better not to think about that part!

6. Submitted by Connie Sullivan on 10/19/2018 - 10:33 am.

This “bump” looks to me like a Kavanaugh effect: Trump living up to his promise to his base that he would appoint really conservative SCOTUS justices to overturn Roe v. Wade and make the world safe for massive corporations again, and damn the environment.

Let’s wait a bit and see whether the Saudis’ murder and dismemberment of a U.S. permanent resident and Washington Post journalist in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, and Trumps support of ithe dictator who ordered it, have an effect on Trump’s nuimbers. Probably not.

But then, there’s Trump’s corrupt and self-dealing intervention in the issue of moving the FBI headquarters to a D. C. suburb–he nixed the move because it would probably lead to a new luxury hotel competing with his own luxury hotel in downtown D. C. Will his supporters continue to bolster Trump when it’s clearer every day that he is committing fraud on us, every day?

Of course, maybe they’re comfortable having a Mafia Don as president.