‘I don’t have temper tantrums. I really don’t.’

Yesterday, after his most recent attempt to work out a deal with congressional Democrats to keep the government open, the president of the United States held an exchange with reporters on the White House lawn:

Unidentified reporter: “Mr. President, you walked out on the Democrats. Are you going to bring them back? How can you get a deal if you’re not talking to them?”

Trump: “Well the news incorrectly reported, because I said, ‘Well, if we go back and everything’s peachy dory [sic], and you say, ‘We’ll go talk over 30 days,’ are you going to say, at the end of 30 days, ‘Are you going give us great border security which includes a wall or a steel barrier.’ And she said no.

I didn’t yell, I didn’t pound on tables. That’s a lie. Because if you ask Mike Pence, you ask Kevin McCarthy, you ask anybody in the room, they will say – because I know if you do that, you’re gonna report it – but you guys report it anyway, cuz you’re fake news – but let me just tell you something: I very calmly said, ‘If you’re not gonna give us strong borders, bye-bye.’ And I left. I didn’t rant. I didn’t rave, like you reported. Like… I mean some of the newspapers … and then Schumer always has his standard lie: ‘He had a temper tantrum.’ I don’t have temper tantrums. I really don’t. But it plays to his narrative. But it’s a lie. I very calmly walked out of the room. I didn’t smash the table. I should have. But I didn’t smash the table. And that’s the story. Wait… [waving his hand to cut off the next question before he finishes] … all of that narrative is a lie.”

Here’s the full video of the 15-minute exchange between the POTUS and the gaggle of reporters.

1. Submitted by Ray Schoch on 01/11/2019 - 09:44 am.

In a way – and I don’t want to carry this too far – I can almost feel sympathy for Mr. Trump. It’s hard to watch someone who doesn’t know what he’s doing, and is involved in something that’s way over his head, flounder as Trump did, and do it in a public setting. The operative word there, however, is “almost.” If there’s a crisis, it’s of Trump’s own making, with the active cooperation of the Republican Party, and he’s already had two years – and a compliant, Republican-controlled Congress – to do something about it.

He didn’t.

They didn’t.

In almost any other context I can think of, holding someone hostage until you’re paid ‘x’ amount would be called what it is – extortion. Last time I checked, that’s a felony, and even if that particular charge is never brought against Mr. Trump, it doesn’t negate the ethical sleaziness of either his rhetoric or his actions. The “national emergency” seems more and more obviously to be the occupant of the Oval Office. Mitch McConnell’s continued support for this charade over “border security” by blocking a bill **that the Senate overwhelmingly voted in favor of** when Republicans controlled the House a month ago, a bill that provided additional funds for border security and would have reopened the government, reveals his disinterest in both governance and the welfare of the nation as a whole, which is how the current version of the Republican Party strikes me overall. They’ve become disciples of an intellectually and ethically bankrupt ideology.

2. Submitted by RB Holbrook on 01/11/2019 - 09:55 am.

Loud, derisive laughter is an understandable reaction to this story, yet it is also somehow inadequate.

3. Submitted by Tom Christensen on 01/11/2019 - 11:18 am.

There is no doubt the responsibility of the shutdown goes to the Republicans because Trump, said on live TV he is proud to take the blame. Pretty soon McConnell will have to stop stonewalling because he is up for reelection in 2020. A long shutdown won’t look good on his record as one of his few accomplishments. McConnell is as complicit as Trump in that he won’t send a nonpartisan bill forward that would open the government unless the president says he will sign it. McConnell is giving up his coequal power to an obviously ill child dressed in adult clothing – cowardly. Trump, the great deal maker, has managed to corner himself, McConnell, and the Republican Party.

Trump is the perfect example why every person that runs for the presidency must take and pass a comprehensive psychological test to make sure another Trump ever happens to America again. The cleanup after Trump will not be easily accomplished. I’m amazed that Trump’s base is willing to over look the major issues that Trump has. I have no idea what their justification could possibly be.

Have you ever noticed the happiness on all the cabinet members faces when they are in a meeting with Trump. I’m kidding. All of them realize they made a bad decision to work for Trump. They are now trying to figure out how to get out and save face. Too late, so sad, you are already covered with Trump stink.

• Submitted by Paul Brandon on 01/11/2019 - 01:59 pm.

‘Jerk’ is not in the DSM.
      Neither is ‘ignoramus’.

• Submitted by Bill Kahn on 01/11/2019 - 08:09 pm.

Narcissistic personality disorder is in the DSM although Trump’s extreme form of it—he is a malignant narcissist according to a conference of mental health professionals who gathered to share papers about his mental illness a few years back—that should be enough to preclude him serving in any leadership role.

• Submitted by Paul Brandon on 01/12/2019 - 11:36 am.

While one group of clinicians attempted to do a long range diagnosis, the official position of both APAs (Psychology and Psychiatry) is that a valid diagnosis can only be made in a face to face interview.
          As a licensed (currently inactive) psychologist, I would avoid professional diagnoses and stay with the obvious nonprofessional characterizations.
          ….
          The only situation where a DSM diagnosis would be relevant is if Congress managed to compel a professional diagnosis under the 25th Amendment.

4. Submitted by Marc Post on 01/11/2019 - 11:27 am.

It’s too bad Trump never spent any time raising children. If he had, he’d know what a lying toddler sounds like and wouldn’t talk the way he does. How anyone supports him is beyond belief.

5. Submitted by Brian Simon on 01/11/2019 - 11:37 am.

He doth protest too much.

6. Submitted by Neal Rovick on 01/11/2019 - 11:54 am.

…But it’s a lie. I very calmly walked out of the room. I didn’t smash the table. I should have. But I didn’t smash the table….

Hmm, seems to me he wanted to lash out very badly, didn’t react as strongly as he wanted, but more than likely was as transparent with his anger as he usually is….

7. Submitted by Sandra Marks on 01/11/2019 - 12:25 pm.

“The presidency is not an entry-level job.” Michael Bloomberg.

8. Submitted by Connie Sullivan on 01/11/2019 - 03:11 pm.

Trump does not know how deals are made with people who have the same level of power in the negotiations as he does.

He does not know how to govern. He knows only how to bully. And when bullying doesn’t work, he takes his ball and his bat and goes home–or walks out of the meeting with a snide “bye-bye.”

That’s a temper tantrum.

9. Submitted by Hiram Foster on 01/12/2019 - 07:22 am.

Reports on presidential mood swings from behind close doors are always a form of soft reporting, the kind easily dismissed as fake news.

10. Submitted by Dennis Wagner on 01/12/2019 - 08:17 pm.

The Mrs. put it very cleverly: The shut down for “T” is not a problem, actually right down his alley, he is very experienced at having people do the work and then not paying them for it!