Would any one of the 10 Democratic nominees be an improvement over Trump?

I suppose it won’t surprise any regular readers of this space that I am not the biggest admirer of the current occupant of the Oval Office, and that I hope his tenure in that capacity will not last more than one term.

I haven’t settled on a clear personal favorite among the Democrats running for the nomination. Settling into watch the (very long) 10-way debate Thursday night, I assumed I would taking copious notes on their issue differences and small distinctions on how they were coming across. The usual nonsense.

But, almost from the beginning, I had a single recurring impression so powerful in my heart and soul and brain and kidneys and knees and toes (knees and toes) so I’ve decided to keep my reaction very short and just express that impression as simply as this:

Any one of those ten potential nominees would be fine with me and would, without any shadow of a doubt in my (biased) mind be vast improvement over the current incumbent.

I don’t claim to know who is the most electable one. If that becomes clear, I hope that one will be nominated, but it’s not really knowable. I would be happy and, especially, relieved about the future of our country and our world if any one of them takes the oath office 14 months from now.

In the interests of equal time, I will pass along a short e-mail that a friend of mine, who is on the email list of the Trump committee, sent me. The message was sent in advance of the debate. In its entirely, it read:

We can’t wait for tonight. The Top 10 Corrupt Liberals will take the stage at 8 PM tonight and debate on which of their plans would ruin our country the most.

Here’s a list of the top things we expect to hear the Democrats debate tonight:

Banning plastic straws;

Destroying all fossil fuels;

Banning fracking everywhere;

Raising your taxes to pay for illegal criminals;

No more offshore drilling – taking jobs away from tens of thousands of people;

Light bulb ban;

And, no more cheeseburgers!

We wish we were joking, but these are the Liberal’s top ten candidates for President of the United States.

1. Submitted by Carl Brookins on 09/13/2019 - 03:54 pm.

Yes, any of them would. If I were president, I’d try to entice each of the ten who were on stage last evening to become a cabinet member.

2. Submitted by Frank Phelan on 09/13/2019 - 05:45 pm.

That’s it? That’s all they got? Straws and cheeseburgers?

Instead of an old tyme Hubert H. Humphrey bean feed, the Dems should have some fun with this and hold cheeseburger feeds around the country.

But given they are terrible at messaging, that will never happen.

3. Submitted by Dennis Wagner on 09/13/2019 - 07:47 pm.

Good question Erik, From this vantage point, advantages/improvements:
    1. Reduction in overall pollution, Trump and his base are pro-pollution.
    2. Increase in civility: Trump and his base are pro-discourse
    3. Increase in financial responsibility: Trump and his base are pro-deficit spending (These are the best of times with recession deficits)
    4. Immigration reform: Reality vs. 3rd Reich tactics.
    5. All men/women are created equal vs: Trump’s I’ll personally pick and choose who is or not equal.
    6. Equality of religion or lack there of vs: Christians dominate all you others go back to where you came from.
    7. “secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity” vs. the Trump pirate creed, “take what you can leave nothing for the rest”
    8. A shade of honesty back into our political discussion vs the what 10,000 lies?
    9. Tax fairness vs $1.5T to those that need it the least (on the credit card)
    10. Perhaps an end to “family dynasty” and self-dealing where you hire all your kids and their partners that are “0”.
    Many more to follow if needed.

li
    financial instability , of near

4. Submitted by Brian Simon on 09/14/2019 - 09:11 am.

I don’t know much about this Yang fellow, but, yes, any of them would be an improvement; particularly since Ms. Williamson didn’t make the cut.

I’m still amazed that the Trump committee email is treated seriously by anyone.

5. Submitted by Connie Sullivan on 09/14/2019 - 10:26 am.

Of course, any one of the top ten Democratic candidates would be better than Donald Trump! He is the most corrupt and least-fit President in the country’s history. Thanks for pointing out the strength of the Democratic field, Eric.

The Republican party is confident that true Trumpites will never find out about that strength, though. They studiously avoid finding out, and fear finding out.

I have a dear relative who supports Trump with all her heart (not her mind). When I asked her if she was following the Democratic debates, she said of course not. When I asked if she had gone to any Democrat’s web page to find out about policies or even bios, she said of course not. She repeated GOP inaccuracies about Warrner and Buttegieg, and did not even recognize Castro’s name, or Amy Klobuchar’s name. She got highly emotional as she listed how many ways she was not going to read “fake news” about Democrats. (For her, the WaPo and the NYTimes are purveyors of “fake news.” This is a college grad talking.)

Trying to convince Trumpites is a losing battle. Our only hope is to get all those Democratic voters out, for whoever is the nominee in 2020.

6. Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 09/14/2019 - 05:56 pm.

Trump supporters can divorce themselves from reality all they want, but they won’t win elections. There just aren’t enough voters invested in incandescent light bulbs and killing Polar Bears to keep this thing going.

• Submitted by Paul Brandon on 09/14/2019 - 08:55 pm.

Unless Trumpf claims that 10 million illegal aliens voted against him and refuses top accept the results.
      Can you say ‘constitutional crisis’?

7. Submitted by Hiram Foster on 09/15/2019 - 06:24 am.

The key to success for Trump is to divide and wear down the opposition. To the extent he won the election it was because he did it because he drove down the Hillary vote. Every time I hear a Democrat say how sad they are, I know that Trump has chalked up another victory.

Trump is a guy who exploits power. He tries to put himself in the power, and when he isn’t, he is quite transparently clueless. We saw this in his business career and we see it in his presidency. The theory behind multilateral organizations is that in terms of power the whole is stronger than the parts. Hence his hostility to the EU.

8. Submitted by Hiram Foster on 09/15/2019 - 06:44 am.

Something I have grumped about to my DFL friends is that we always seem to be defensive which means we are always fighting battles on grounds our opponents chose which they feel are of benefit to them. Locally, this means that it’s the Republicans who are first with an op ed in the Strib, which is inevitably followed by a DFL response a couple of days later.

• Submitted by Paul Brandon on 09/16/2019 - 01:39 pm.

“A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes”
      Usually attributed (inaccurately) to Mark Twain