What, exactly, was wrong with Minneapolis leaders’ comments on Trump’s upcoming visit?

Star Tribune Opinion
MinnPost file photo by Corey Anderson

Is there such a thing as being too “Minnesota nice”?

If so, I rise to politely and civilly disagree with my friends (and former Star Tribune colleagues) on the paper’s editorial board, who spent some ink and pixels yesterday rebuking the Minneapolis mayor and city council president for being, in the board’s view, insufficiently welcoming to President Donald Trump on the occasion of his upcoming visit to our city for an Oct. 10 Target Center event.

I believe in “Minnesota nice.” I’ve lived in ruder places, I’m not squeamish or prudish and I can handle blunt talk. But I think the civil tone that is part of “Minnesota nice” is generally the way to go, even when — perhaps especially when — we are expressing our differences with someone else. I even endorse Michelle Obama’s slogan, “When they go low, we go high.”

But, within reason, the question is sometimes: How low? And how high?

Donald Trump has lowered our national discourse to previously unimaginable depths. And while I defend his First Amendment right to be as big a jerk as he chooses, a substantial majority of the nation, as measured by various polls, is tired of his ugly act. A substantial minority is apparently not. Let freedom ring, but let’s count the votes. No cheating please.

Trump thinks he can perhaps flip Minnesota in the 2020 election. I predict he will fail, but I defend his right to try, including his right to come to Minneapolis and give a speech that will be filled with hate and lies and perhaps some lame attempts to defend himself against the latest alarming allegation of misconduct against him.

I defend the right of his admirers to attend the rally and even to chant, ridiculously, “Lock her up” if Hillary Clinton is mentioned, and to chant “fake news” about a lot of true news. I defend Trump’s right to label all true criticism and investigation of his many misdeeds as “witch hunts” and to claim “total exoneration” on various allegations of which he has most certainly not been exonerated and still stands very credibly suspected and accused, though not impeached.

I hope and, in my more optimistic moments, believe that the electorate in 2020 will send him where he belongs. And, if they don’t also thank him for his service as he departs for whatever awaits him, I will not criticize them.

After the upcoming Minnesota visit was announced, Mayor Jacob Frey and Council President Lisa Bender made what I would call some very restrained remarks about how they felt about it. I’m willing to bet that they have said stronger things about Trump, about the discrepancy between Trump’s overall tone/message and their fundamental tone/message. Here are the remarks, as quoted in a Star Tribune news story:

“Our entire city will stand not behind the President, but behind the communities and people who continue to make our city — and this country — great,” [Mayor] Frey said. “While there is no legal mechanism to prevent the president from visiting, his message of hatred will never be welcome in Minneapolis.”

City Council President Lisa Bender echoed Frey’s statements, saying Trump’s “hate is not welcome in our community but we cannot stop the visit… I know this event will cause stress and fear — the city will do all we can, and ask for support, in keeping everyone safe.”

They didn’t need to be rebuked by a Strib editorial for a single syllable of that. I admire Frey and Bender for their restrained tone in expressing their views, and I hope the current White House incumbent will benefit from their example of how to express their apparent dislike and disapproval without lying, name-calling, race-baiting or threatening physical violence.

(Here, if you care to refresh your memory, is a 90-second video of some of the many instances of Trump encouraging violence against critics and protesters. I welcome you to compare it, in tone and substance, with the remarks of Frey and Bender.)

But the Strib editorial that appeared yesterday rebuked Frey and Bender. The mayor, the editorial stated, “could have said they would provide security to make sure that supporters and opponents of the president are safe and that fundamental rights of free speech are upheld. He could have simply noted, as his city coordinator did, that officials are expecting protests outside Target Center. He could have added, if he felt the need, that he shares many sentiments with the president’s critics, while assuring citizens of varying views that his staff is planning for the event and coordinating with other public agencies as they did during the Super Bowl and Final Four. Instead, after the Oct. 10 rally was announced, the mayor and other city leaders implied that they’d rather the president and his supporters stay home. Frey said that while he would typically welcome a visit from a sitting president, Trump’s ‘actions have been reprehensible and his rhetoric has made it clear that he does not value the perspectives or rights of Minneapolis’ diverse communities.’”

I don’t get this. Of course, Frey could have said those things. And he and other city officials will certainly do those things. What I don’t get is why it was in any way out of line for these elected officials — who are certainly entitled to hold and express any views they choose that don’t actually encourage anyone to set fire to a crowded theater — to say what they said, which was undoubtedly sincere, on point, and fully covered by their First Amendment rights.

1. Submitted by linda comstock on 10/03/2019 - 10:58 am.

I totally agree! What the mayor stated pales compared to what the president says on a daily basis and undoubtedly will say when he speaks here. I support mayor Frey on what he said.

• Submitted by Dan Halderman on 10/08/2019 - 01:28 am.

I notice how this writer IGNORES the fact that THOUSANDS of SANE Minnesotans will attend the President’s rally.
      Thank GOD there are still Americans in this state!

• Submitted by Meeche Miller on 10/08/2019 - 08:45 am.

This radical, leftist Mayor Frey does not speak for the thousands of real Minnesota residents who love and respect our President! He is a disgrace to the State. How dare he raise the rates for use of facilities to $530,000 for Trump when Obama paid 1/10 of that – Mayor Frey is disgusting and an insult to Minnesota –

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 10/08/2019 - 11:19 am.

He speaks for thousands of real Minnesotans who want nothing to do with Trump.

FYI – residents of Minneapolis, including leftists, are part of the “real Minnesota.”

• Submitted by Ann Sommers on 10/09/2019 - 12:15 pm.

No, Trump is an insult to the world. Patriotism is not consistent with Trumpism.

• Submitted by rachel adrian on 10/10/2019 - 05:32 pm.

You “love” Trump? And you say it out loud? Here lies the problem and defines why intelligent people think you’re not. Cult mentality. Citizens are not suppose to “love” an elected official. An elected official is elected to do a job. Period.

• Submitted by Richard Steuland on 10/09/2019 - 10:01 pm.

Those attending the Trump rally represent many willfully ignorant. People that have lost their grip of what decency ,fairness, civility and truth mean in a Democratic society. Marching towards a full Authoritarian regime and not grasping its implications is how out of touch these types are. I liken it to the frog in the kettle. At first the water is warm, even pleasant. Eventually it turns into a full rolling boil and by then it’s too late. Civics class in High School longforgotten. Wake up Wake Up , little frog gives. You will make a tasty morsel and be not the wiser.

• Submitted by Julie Stroeve on 10/10/2019 - 05:38 pm.

don’t forget the thousands of protesters…from what I hear, at least as many as supporters.

2. Submitted by Jon Ruff on 10/03/2019 - 11:11 am.

I completely agree with you. If I wasn’t such an apathetic toady I’d be down at Target Center waving my “Throw The Bum Out !” sign for the event.
    A further complication for me I’m not going downtown after dark.
    Hey, who’s paying for this spectical anyway?

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 10/03/2019 - 11:25 am.

I would rather just ignore him. He and his acolytes love the idea of a big, confrontational mob of protesters. If one doesn’t turn up, they won’t know what to say.

“Hey, who’s paying for this spectical anyway?”

If history is any guide, the taxpayers of Minneapolis. The Trump campaign, which is supposed to pay for the added costs to the city, will skip town without paying anything. His supporters will claim it’s fake news that he didn’t pay, and anyway, it feels good to stick the libs with paying for the event.

3. Submitted by RB Holbrook on 10/03/2019 - 11:21 am.

There is a time to welcome a President. That time is if he is coming to town to be presidential (e.g. President Bush visiting the collapsed 35W bridge). If he is coming to town for a campaign rally (has there ever been a Trump appearance that was NOT turned into a campaign rally?), then there is no need to do anything beyond provide the legally required security. In this case, you have a President who has directed his hateful spewings at the city and its representatives. Making it public knowledge that the Mayor and City Council do not share his hateful values is not just their right, it is appropriate.

It’s interesting to note in the context of the Strib’s editorial that the New York Times tsk-tsked Mayor LaGuardia for saying mean things about Germany in 1939 (The Little Flower suggested building a Chamber of Horrors at the World’s Fair with “a figure of that brown-shirted fanatic who is now menacing the peace of the world.”).

4. Submitted by Misty Martin on 10/03/2019 - 11:28 am.

Eric:

I totally agree also. Why does this particular P.O.T.U.S. have to be shown excessive warmth anyway? It’s not like he radiates any himself. I thought what they said was polite – “Minnesota nice”. Enough already.

5. Submitted by Steve Timmer on 10/03/2019 - 11:43 am.

You know that the city and county, certainly, and probably other units of government, too, are going to be stuck with a big bill for security. There isn’t a single reason why the city mums and dads should have to express enthusiasm for this visit.

6. Submitted by David Markle on 10/03/2019 - 11:46 am.

Much as I despise Trump, I think it inappropriate for the Mayor and City Council President announce that Trump is unwelcome here. They should have kept quiet.

And this issue of municipal communication hits me in a tender spot, at this time when the Mayor has not responded to my letter about the non-negotiable African Mall development dropped on my neighborhood while a steady stream of lies comes out of the neighborhood’s Council Member concerning the project.

• Submitted by lisa miller on 10/03/2019 - 02:20 pm.

I agree. Can’t stand Trump; but rather than flame the rhetoric, just note the city is committed to security and free speech on all sides as long it’s within the law and that hateful comments will not be supported. It just plays into his playbook otherwise. And then, demonstrate, demonstrate, demonstrate and let’s see all those tough talking Trump supporters venture into downtown Minneapolis after dark.

• Submitted by Connor OKeefe on 10/07/2019 - 09:22 am.

“… let’s see all those tough talking Trump supporters venture into downtown Minneapolis after dark.”

I’m sure that was a typo.

7. Submitted by Kirk Livingston on 10/03/2019 - 11:48 am.

I also agree. Nicely said, Mr. Black. I appreciate Mr. Frey saying what I believe as well. Thank you for embedding the video because it is too easy to forget the great volume of reprehensible things Trump has said and continues to say.

8. Submitted by Suzanne Perry on 10/03/2019 - 11:53 am.

Indeed. We should be happy to welcome a man who told our congresswoman to go back where she came from, retweeted a video that falsely claimed she was dancing on 9/11, and has otherwise contributed to the hate that makes her fear for her life?

9. Submitted by Alex Schieferdecker on 10/03/2019 - 12:00 pm.

The Strib’s concern trolling editorial was extremely odd. Mayor Frey and CM Bender’s responses were spot on, turning the spotlight away from Trump and putting it on the diverse communities that make cities like Minneapolis great. Why should they be required to ignore the message that he is coming to town to propagate?

10. Submitted by Eric Snyder on 10/03/2019 - 12:14 pm.

The Star Tribune editorial is certainly wrongheaded.

It doubtfully intended to, but it effectively asks us to accept that no matter how low this president goes, we’re always to place decorum above the moral responsibility to speak out. This is one of the ways in which every new low from Trump is normalized.

The editorial essentially asks that our public officials ignore the undeniable evidence in front of them and just pretend that the torrent of lies, the degradation of public discourse and the bigotry from this person occupying the office of the President must be tolerated with respectful silence.

And to think that this admonition is still possible after this appeared in the NYT within a day or so:

“Privately, the president had often talked about fortifying a border wall with a water-filled trench, stocked with snakes or alligators, prompting aides to seek a cost estimate. He wanted the wall electrified, with spikes on top that could pierce human flesh. After publicly suggesting that soldiers shoot migrants if they threw rocks, the president backed off when his staff told him that was illegal. But later in a meeting, aides recalled, he suggested that they shoot migrants in the legs to slow them down. That’s not allowed either, they told him.”

What of Trump’s lies about and incitement toward Ilhan Omar?

There’s a threshold where neutrality becomes complicity, where the high road in one circumstance becomes its opposite.

11. Submitted by Glenda Noble on 10/03/2019 - 01:05 pm.

Ditto and applause for all of the above, except David Markle.

12. Submitted by Roy Everson on 10/03/2019 - 01:06 pm.

The Star Tribune is nothing to do with Minnesota Nice, not to be confused with corporate mush. Trump not only incites hatred of various Minnesota population groups but he gives cover to the worst elements of the state Republican party.

13. Submitted by Mary Turck on 10/03/2019 - 01:45 pm.

I completely agree. It is long past time for every responsible person to denounce Trump’s hate speech as well as his actions, as Mayor Jacob Frey and Council President Lisa Bender did.

14. Submitted by Dennis Wagner on 10/03/2019 - 02:40 pm.

Agree: Trump is doing this as a way to rile his ignorant base. He may be hoping for a large anti Trump demonstration for having his; (vote for me the Dictator Mobster) rally in the middle of a solid liberal district. If I were the mayor, I’d kick up the Target Parking to $50-$100 a spot, we know the Trumpies hate mass transit. And those Trumpies will love donating to the liberal bastion of Minneapolis and home of Ilhan Abdullahi Omar the Muslim lady immigrant congress woman., I would also agree with an above poster, that no-one should show up for an anti-Trump rally, he and the Trumpies are not worth the time, effort or consideration. Show up to vote instead.

• Submitted by Joel Fischer on 10/04/2019 - 08:26 am.

I got my ticket to Trump’s rally.

It’s a real shame I have better things to do that evening. A real shame.

• Submitted by Marcia Wattson on 10/05/2019 - 07:58 am.

It has been noted that getting a ticket to the rally only gives the campaign access to your information, it doesn’t restrict any attendance by his supporters. That’s fine, if you’re interested in getting his campaign messages. They will probably tout inflated interest in the rally by the number of tickets requested.

• Submitted by Joel Fischer on 10/08/2019 - 08:39 am.

How exactly would a person get in without a ticket? And what exactly would happen if the Fuhrer’s campaign “oversold” the event? You’re suggesting that they are overselling and don’t expect people to show up. Will they let people in without a ticket?

I don’t care if they have my information, and I don’t care if I get campaign messages. I suppose I could go, but I’m not interested in putting my life in danger.

• Submitted by Connor OKeefe on 10/07/2019 - 08:26 am.

That’s an odd observation. It appears that Trump’s visit is only riling up the left’s ignorant base, as I haven’t seen any vitriol coming from MN Trump supporters.

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 10/07/2019 - 09:14 am.

Vitriol is a big part of why someone would become a Trump supporter in the first place. The Trumpistos are just happy to have a caudillo who mouths the same hatreds they have.

15. Submitted by Connor OKeefe on 10/03/2019 - 03:00 pm.

I don’t necessarily see a problem with the Mayor’s laying his cards on the table, but I’m at a loss to understand how his supporters can somehow embrace the blatant hatred his message conveys, but denounce others for mutual feelings.

• Submitted by Mike Chrun on 10/03/2019 - 09:57 pm.

“Hate is hate; it’s a non-partisan emotion, incapable of being weighed through partisan lenses. The only thing one can really argue over is which brand appeals to you.”

Really? Sort of like “there are good people on both sides?” When you do the things that this man has done and act like an aggrieved 6th grader every day of your term you’re going to generate hate, a well earned hate.

• Submitted by Connor OKeefe on 10/07/2019 - 08:22 am.

As I say Mike, the only thing left to argue over is which brand appeals to you. Righties say the same thing about lefty politicians.

• Submitted by Joel Fischer on 10/04/2019 - 08:27 am.

It is not hate to call out hatred.

16. Submitted by Brian Simon on 10/03/2019 - 03:32 pm.

There are times that I miss subscribing to a local paper, and then I remember the option is the Star Tribune. It’s certainly not what it used to be!

17. Submitted by Karen Seay on 10/03/2019 - 04:17 pm.

Very eloquently stated, Eric. It’s never been clear to me why Donald Trump can render the air blue with what he says and everyone not of his persuasion is expected to take it politely and silently. Mayor Frey’s and Council President Bender’s responses to the announcement that he will invade our city with his “campaign” were perfectly appropriate and extremely restrained. I thank them for standing up for ALL the people of Minneapolis.

18. Submitted by Jamie Webb on 10/03/2019 - 05:18 pm.

David, Lisa, and Connor,

I agree with you, and would like to add a little more to the conversation. Except in some sadly exceptional countries, elected leaders don’t get 100% of the vote. When a country is doing well, the majority and the minority of the electorate gather behind winning candidates and we carry on together.

The best leaders are able to persuade those who disagree with them to nonetheless work together for the common good. When the President, Mayor or any elected leader speaks or acts, it should be on behalf of all of us.

President Trump’s speech and behavior demonstrate that he doesn’t seem to think about this very much – if at all. Mayor Frey, in my opinion, is most often far more thoughtful – speaking and doing to make things work for most of us, whether we happen to be from one side of the aisle, the other, somewhere in between or beyond. I think he erred here. His rhetoric and behavior on this occasion were not representative of his best or the best of the people of Minneapolis.

At the very least I believe Mayor Frey should have held his tongue and welcomed the President, keeping in mind that Donald Trump is a steward of the office and not the office itself. Barring an early exit due to impeachment and conviction, President Trump will stand for election in a little more than one year. At that time all of us, including our civic leaders, can welcome him for a final term or turn him out in favor of someone who better represents us.

Meanwhile, “Minnesota Nice” is special. How sad were it to become a casualty of politics.

19. Submitted by joe smith on 10/03/2019 - 05:19 pm.

There will be 20,000 folks strong at the Target supporting him. The cat calls from the angry here at liberal center Minnpost won’t deter them one bit from having a fun night with our President.

20. Submitted by Dennis Wagner on 10/03/2019 - 05:27 pm.

To our right wing comrades, don’t confuse hate with total dismay at an inability to see the forest through the trees, Trump as what he really is. As posted earlier, no the world isn’t flat, no matter how hard you want to believe it, it isn’t true.

21. Submitted by Richard Sethre on 10/03/2019 - 05:28 pm.

Right on, Eric!

22. Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 10/03/2019 - 06:15 pm.

I don’t disagree with anything Eric is saying, but does anyone take the Strib Editorial Board seriously? When they put their names on their editorials and stand up to be counted one or another, I might think about reading their musings. As it is I get my garbage opinions from FB.

23. Submitted by Paul Brandon on 10/03/2019 - 06:54 pm.

The Strib editorial board is clearly playing to their advertisers, not to their readers.

24. Submitted by Frank Phelan on 10/03/2019 - 07:00 pm.

If the Strib asks Frey to remove the plank in it’s eye, the Strib could more easily remove the splinter from Frey’s eye.

25. Submitted by Joe Musich on 10/03/2019 - 07:42 pm.

I wish the entire city government would have gone full Greta on this event. Furthermore since the unmentioned one owes money to other cities., no security until let’s call it since he is a landlord type a “damage deposit” is made. After all this is a campaign event and not a governmental activity. He is here for one reason that is to attack an elective representative in behalf of his campaign of rot. As to the Strib I would expect no less with their “hidden agenda,”

26. Submitted by Tom Anderson on 10/03/2019 - 09:24 pm.

Does anyone remember the uproar when Rep. Joe Wilson said “You lie!” at a Presidential address? Why were people offended at the time?

27. Submitted by Diggitt McLaughlin on 10/03/2019 - 11:26 pm.

Bearing in mind that NOBODY ever gets paid, by Trump, after the fact–I hope that both the City of Minneapolis and the Target Center have gotten as much money from Trump as they have requested–or will before the curtain goes up (or whatever). Actually, I think the public would like some reassurance on that topic.

28. Submitted by Michael Cohen on 10/03/2019 - 11:37 pm.

My sentiments exactly and well stated
    Ordered my tickets and will either go inside to support my “fake news” or stand outside in protest.

29. Submitted by Edward Blaise on 10/04/2019 - 07:56 am.

MINNPOST censors elected to not include your “above statement” and the post they did include seemingly meant to say:

“I continue to not care what Mayor Frey says UNTIL he does something to control the chaos on the streets of Minneapolis.”

And that topic deserves coverage and has seen very little. We subsidize all manner of sports and civic venues with downtown added taxes and then fail to create a safe environment around them.

On the plus side maybe this holds down the attendance of the red hatted legions.

30. Submitted by William Hunter Duncan on 10/04/2019 - 08:05 am.

I would like to go to the event and see who is being more vicious and hateful, the protestors outside or his supporters inside. The idea that the right is violent but the left is not is, well, silly; if anything the right is merely more overt about it.

I don’t know that I will go however, as I generally avoid spectacles of viciousness and violence, and do not particularly care to be singled out by either side as not being sufficiently nasty.

• Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 10/05/2019 - 09:27 am.

Mr. Hunter, false equivalence is no basis for serious discussion. Violence by definition is an “overt” activity that can clearly be observed and documented. The “difference” between “open” political violence and some other kind of political violence is a figment of imagination. And since there are no documented examples of equivalent levels of violence ( i.e. people at Warren rallies being physically ejected, attacks on places of worship, or murder and mass killings with guns and cars) one cannot “brag” about the open nature of fascist violence compared to liberal violence.

• Submitted by Brian Gandt on 10/10/2019 - 04:01 pm.

William Hunter Duncan, I’ve followed you. Outside of environmental issues, you are Far Left, meet Frat Right.

31. Submitted by Ray Schoch on 10/04/2019 - 08:14 am.

Nothing about Mr. Trump’s visit here on the 10th qualifies as “presidential.” It does qualify as “partisan hack comes to town,” just as it qualifies as “political theater,” and it qualifies as “bigoted President hopes to prop up equally bigoted supporters,” but “presidential?” No.

Given that he has publicly, in front of cameras and microphones, betrayed his country and his oath of office by soliciting help from a rival and potential adversary foreign nation against an electoral opponent, I’d say Mr. Frey and Ms. Bender have displayed remarkable restraint.

32. Submitted by Nick Foreman on 10/04/2019 - 09:08 am.

Further proof that my decision to quit the Star Tribune 3 years ago was totally correct. That paper needs to move to Alabama.

• Submitted by Tom Anderson on 10/06/2019 - 10:34 pm.

Why all the angst about the Strib? The endorsements of all DFLers are already ready for 2020 and the daily Trump attacks are always front page news.

33. Submitted by Douglas Bremer on 10/04/2019 - 10:24 am.

Why? Because the mayor is speaking for the community, and he certainly is not speaking for conservatives, independents, or anyone else who wishes to hear what President Trump has to say. Of course he has freedom of speech, but when he speaks from the Mayor’s office, his comments reflect the entire community; including those with different political views, and his comments should reflect the community and be respectful of our nations campaign process. The mayor’s comments and the recent decision reached concerning off-duty Mpls Police officers no longer allowed to wear their uniforms at political events looks like Political Hacks. Before the liberal/progressives pounce, let me add that I’m a senior citizen who has voted along Democrat party lines for fifty-years. However, I cannot condone the scorched-earth behavior of today’s Democratic party who appear to want to restrict speech that does not align with their own. Debate the issues not the personalities.

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 10/04/2019 - 10:59 am.

“Of course he has freedom of speech,”

Gracious of you to acknowledge that.

“but when he speaks from the Mayor’s office, his comments reflect the entire community; including those with different political views, and his comments should reflect the community . . .”

First, I would be prepared to bet that the Mayor’s statement reflects the views of the residents of Minneapolis pretty accurately. The opposition to Trump and his agenda is not unanimous, but I think the sense of the community is clear.

Second, what you have done is suggest that the Mayor never speak. There is no such thing as unanimity in any human endeavor.

Third, the very nature of a representative democracy is that sometimes those representatives will not be reflecting the views of everyone.

“. . . and be respectful of our nations campaign process.”

The irony of that statement being deployed in the context of a President who has openly solicited foreign help for his campaign is too much to bear.

“The mayor’s comments and the recent decision reached concerning off-duty Mpls Police officers no longer allowed to wear their uniforms at political events looks like Political Hacks.”

Why should uniformed officers be allowed to wear their uniform when they are appearing at those events? I think this policy pretty much reflects the common practice nationwide. In any event, why is it okay for police officers – representatives of the city – to appear at a campaign rally in uniform when the Mayor should not issue a written statement beforehand?

” However, I cannot condone the scorched-earth behavior of today’s Democratic party who appear to want to restrict speech that does not align with their own.”

Is anyone saying that Trump may not speak? Freedom of speech does not mean the right to speak without anyone replying.

“Debate the issues not the personalities.”

The personality is the issue.

• Submitted by Douglas Bremer on 10/04/2019 - 11:56 am.

“The personality is the issue.”
        It shouldn’t be.

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 10/04/2019 - 02:04 pm.

Trumpism is about his personality. Sure, his loyalists will murmur pieties about cutting taxes, or putting conservatives on the bench. The truth is, any bog-standard Republican would do what Trump is doing in terms of policies. What they wanted with Trump, and what they (we) got is someone who would devote endless hours to owning the libs. He makes people mad, and his supporters love him for it.

Saying we should debate Trump on policy is like asking for logical consistency in a Three Stooges movie. It’s unimportant: a poke in the eye is a poke in the eye. The difference is that the Stooges’ ineptitude was an act.

• Submitted by Connor OKeefe on 10/07/2019 - 08:36 am.

“Sure, his loyalists will murmur pieties about cutting taxes, or putting conservatives on the bench.”

Excuse me? Cutting taxes, putting conservatives on the bench and stemming the tide of foreign nationals illegally crossing our border are issues very important to those of us that elected him. They are “promises”, not “pieties”; promises that are being kept, btw.

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 10/07/2019 - 09:18 am.

Rubbish. Trump got elected because he is a brash, unfiltered boor who says out loud what Republicans have been saying under their breaths for years. The bigotry is the natural outgrowth of Republican ideology since the 80s. The obnoxious behavior is the messaging that has been in vogue for some time now (remember when the national Republican chair had to apologize to Rush Limbaugh for saying he was not the leader of the Republican party?).

• Submitted by Dennis Wagner on 10/04/2019 - 05:01 pm.

It is way more than the personality, pollution is good, green is bad, Mexicans are rapists and murders, “Russia if your listening” and on and on, is that stuff personality? Or is his personality to just disregard all laws norms, standards etc.? Meaning; he should get a free pass?

• Submitted by Douglas Bremer on 10/05/2019 - 09:47 am.

The upside in all of this is four more years of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and his hilarious opening monologues.

• Submitted by Tom Anderson on 10/06/2019 - 10:31 pm.

While I don’t believe that the President will be re-elected, Mr. Black would certainly enjoy another 4 years of material to go along with the two years prior to Mr. Trump’s election. Otherwise it might only be a bi-weekly column…

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 10/07/2019 - 09:19 am.

Why do conservatives object to so much coverage about Trump? He is the President of the United States, so he is inherently newsworthy.

Are you ashamed of him? Because I understand that.

• Submitted by Tom Anderson on 10/07/2019 - 11:39 pm.

No objection here. I just point out that Mr. Black writes about very little else. With so many more interesting topics in the state and nation, it seems a shame to milk such an uninteresting (and objectionable) subject with all of the rest of the masses when the writer’s talents might really make a difference even though it would require a lot more effort.

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 10/08/2019 - 09:14 am.

That sounds like an objection.

Look, I understand that denial is a powerful defense mechanism. Even so, you can’t hide from the fact that this loathsome crook is the man ou wanted for President, and all of his irrational, erratic behavior fits right in with what you wanted. Own it, and try to do better next time.

• Submitted by Tom Anderson on 10/08/2019 - 10:08 pm.

If the choice is better this time I guess we’ll see. I’ve never wanted loathsome, erratic behavior which might explain my vote for George W. Bush. I prefer less government control, wise government spending, value education and the rule of law, dislike income redistribution, actively promote conservation, support law enforcement and fairness for everyone, encourage people to have faith in God and believe that the people who wrote our Constitution demonstrated great wisdom not only for their time, but for ours. That is what I own. No other person’s actions define me.

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 10/09/2019 - 10:46 am.

Assuming that you really do prefer all those things you claim, why on earth you even entertain the idea of voting for Trump? His fundamental lawlessness and disregard for the Constitution* alone should give you pause.

*The Second Amendment is a relatively small part of the Constitution. How about Articles I and II?

• Submitted by Dennis Wagner on 10/08/2019 - 08:42 pm.

Well Tom feel free to put your list together of all those other topics. To guys like me, Trump is is all about Savoy Brown: Going down the road on “That Hell Bound Train” and I’m not even religious! Or Perhaps you would prefer Chris Rea: “Road to Hell”, same ending either way.

• Submitted by mark grabe on 10/06/2019 - 10:48 pm.

It is ironic that the respect the office and free speech positions come up from those criticizing the mayor. This is the politician unable to respect the elected Representative from my district and to accept her right to free speech. Why is it Republicans can’t note the hypocrisy in their complaints?

34. Submitted by Connie Sullivan on 10/04/2019 - 11:04 am.

Donald Trump’s re-election campaign still owes nearly $500,000 to the City of El Paso TX, for a February rally he held there. As noted: Trump doesn’t pay his bills, so no one should do business with him. Why should Minneapolis welcome his campaign, given his record as a scoflaw?

Donald Trump absolutely dumped on the female mayor of Dayton, OH, who did not welcome him with open arms when, after a mass shooting inspired by Trump’s hate-filled rants, he came to strut around Dayton (remember the Trump-inspired gun massacre victims who refused to speak with him from their hospital beds?).

Jacob Frey represents and speaks for the majority of voters in Minneapolis and he and Lisa Bender spoke rather mildly, actually, given what most of their constituents think of Trump, who has never even pretended to represent the more-than-half of American voters who voted for Hillary Clinton rather than him in 2016.

Donald Trump is coming here not as president, but as a candidate for the presidency in 2020. All of us have the right, even the duty, to keep context in mind and call out his nastiness at every turn. The man words and actions are despicable and he is destroying the dignity of the office of the Presidency.

To say that we have “be nice” to Donald Trump, given his horrible attacks o everyone who shows less than slavish fealty to him, personally, shows the right-wing conservative bias of the Star Tribune’s owner. What a shameful newspaper editorial!

35. Submitted by michael lynn on 10/05/2019 - 08:56 am.

Are you people kidding! President Trump has brought prosperity and respect back to this country. Many of us Minnesotans are tired of being over run by reckless leftist policies like illegal immigration that costs taxpayers over $137 billion per year. Illegals dumb down our schools, overcrowd and bankrupt our healthcare system and they anchor down and go on welfare that should be going to US citizens. In the trade front, it’s about time we stick it to the Chinese. My father lost two Minnesota based factories because of the Chinese. Factories have shuttered across the country because of our policies with the Chinese. They charge me 110% to sell my product in China and we only charge them 15% for the same product. On Climate Change. India and China produce 70% of all carbon and pollution. The US only contributes about 4% of the total worlds pollutants yet the climate screamers want to destroy our economy so we can let China and India have their way. When a factory closes here in the US two factories open in China and India and these factories spew out 10 times the pollutants so Climate activists are barking up the wrong tree. Most Minnesotans are brainwashed with the left. The left isn’t for freedom but rather suppression. They are policing your first Amendment rights..

36. Submitted by Alan Muller on 10/05/2019 - 09:39 am.

What an asinine editorial, even by the not-very-high standards of the Strib. Opposing trump is a moral responsibility of decent people.

37. Submitted by Linda M Schauer on 10/06/2019 - 07:14 am.

It will never cease to amaze me, how liberals have no problem blaming other people for the problems in their cities. That is quite a shell game they’re playing in Washington to remove this president . Remember the Golden Rule do unto others as they are doing unto you. The hypocrisy in this city that mayor Frey can say and do as he pleases but Donald Trump is not allowed those same rights. We all have accepted who Donald Trump is, how uncouth he can be at times when he speaks, but the one thing that is truer than any other statement, is this man is fighting for the citizens of this country unlike mayor Frey who is not fighting for the citizens of Minneapolis.

• Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 10/06/2019 - 10:30 am.

Funny, never ceases to amaze me how “conservatives” always point to someone else instead of taking responsibility for their own behavior.

No one is blaming Trump for any problems in MPLS, we’re simply holding him accountable for his own behavior… why is THAT a problem for the champions of personal responsibility around here?

• Submitted by RB Holbrook on 10/06/2019 - 04:31 pm.

“The hypocrisy in this city that mayor Frey can say and do as he pleases but Donald Trump is not allowed those same rights.”

There is a lot that will not cease to amaze me about that particular sentence, but I will confine myself to pointing out two things. One, no one is saying President Trump can’t come and speak. The leaders of the City may not want him to, but he is certainly allowed to come here and unleash his incoherent maunderings to an auditorium full of cheering supporters.

Second, having the right to speak means other people get to speak in reply. Say whatever you like, but everyone else has the right to reply, critique, argue, or even agree. That’s how freedom of speech works.

• Submitted by Dennis Wagner on 10/07/2019 - 09:06 pm.

Well lets get straight to the point: “is this man is fighting for the citizens of this country” ? NO he is all about Trump period, end of story, or need we again, and again repeat: Mexicans are rapists and murders, Liberals are the enemy, The MSM, is the enemy, Muslims not allowed, GBT etc. get out of our society, women go back to servitude, and on and on and on. Please prove me wrong! , :

38. Submitted by richard owens on 10/07/2019 - 03:11 pm.

It ought to be ebnough for every Minnesotan to oppose Trump, especilly coming to our state, after his bullying of Rep. Omar and her progressive friends from other Blue States.

The mayor chose sides and specifically did not tell Trump to go back where he came from.

Those of you who overlook this man’s bullying attacks (not white or a woman? You’re next), I suspect you just see him as you want him to be, and not as he disgustingly, coldy, rudely IS.

I love living in a place were most people will not tolerate punk behavior, even from a President.

Trump can go straight to Hades for the way he has treated us,

39. Submitted by Connie Sullivan on 10/08/2019 - 02:38 pm.

Apparently, all the Trump supporters fro the suburbs who come to the Target Center to cheer their ranting presidential candidate will enjoy security provided by the taxpayers of the City of Minneapolis.

Trump’s campaign didn’t like the invoice for $530,000 in security costs presented to him by the folks who manage the Target Center (Minneapolis has promised to back up the Center’s management on that security cost), and has sued Minneapolis for daring to send tht invoice!

Mind you: there is no contract with Minneapolis for security (the campaign insists that the Secret Service provides security–but that’s oy for the President and Vice President, not the crowd of pro- and anti-Trump folks). This “Sue them for daring to require je to pay anything!” tactic on Trump’s part is typical of what he spent his “busies” career doing: suing subcontractors with legitimate contractual charges, causing the to incur as much or more in legal fees as the total owed them by Trump. So he got off scot-free, time and again.

As he seems to do in Minnesota with his rallies: Rochester is still owed many thousands of dollars for their rally, and Duluth has given up entirely on even bothering to bill the Trump campaign, because they know they’ll be stiffed. Duluth taxpayers are just eating the cost to them for Trump’s security at rallies.

This is a really GREAT candidate, right? Stand-up guy? Uff.

40. Submitted by cory johnson on 10/03/2019 - 04:38 pm.

And while my above statement is true, I continue to not care what Mayor Frey says as long as he does something to control the chaos on the streets of Minneapolis.

41. Submitted by RB Holbrook on 10/04/2019 - 11:24 am.

” . . . as long as he does something to control the chaos on the streets of Minneapolis.”

The Mayor cannot prevent President Trump from speaking here, but the speech will be confined to the Target Center. So the chaos will technically not be on the streets.

42. Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 10/05/2019 - 09:30 am.

Yes Cory, NO ONE is doing ANYTHING about crime in MPLS. The Mayor has sent all the police home for the weekend and cops spend all day in doughnut shops when they ARE on the job. And running cities is never about doing more than ONE thing.

43. Submitted by Dennis Wagner on 10/04/2019 - 12:47 pm.

And as a side note: Who is to say that the, so called, increase of chaos in the streets is not a derivative of the chaotic Trump and his chaotic polices?

44. Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 10/06/2019 - 10:41 am.

Yes, it’s not at all difficult observe the increase in reactionary/racists/nationalist violence and attending chaos on American streets promoted by Trump. No other POTUS in history has ever threatened to provoke a Civil War… I don’t even think Lincoln raised the issue.

The “chaos” in North Carolina was clearly provoked by Trump and his tacit endorsement of Nationalism and white supremacy.

45. Submitted by ian wade on 10/08/2019 - 05:56 pm.

Well, when you support a xenophobic bigot and racist…