Old mug shots, new guv poll

It’s Friday, so why don’t we start out by going a little afield of the mainstream news for a moment or two and see what’s going on elsewhere on the web. Perhaps you’ve already tired of that tabloid that republishes arrest photos. “Sure, these are entertaining,” you may be saying to yourself, “but they’re just so new! What if I have a hankering for some older mug shots?” Man, we hear you, and, fortunately, the Vintage Photos group on Livejournal has three images from back in 1967. Here’s more. And, from the Only the Young Die Young Tumblr account, one more. It must have been exciting to be a beat cop back in the late ’60s in Minneapolis, if only because the haircuts were so interesting.

All right, back to the business of the day, where, in general, haircuts just aren’t that interesting. Take Mark Dayton — he has a very respectable coif, and, if we may be allowed an awkward segue, a very respectable lead in the race for governor. As Tom Scheck of Minnesota Public Radio reports, Dayton is now ahead at 42 percent of people polled, while GOP candidate Tom Emmer trails by 5 percent — so even within the margin of error, Dayton’s doing pretty well. Now, we know we sound a bit like Chic Anderson announcing a horse race when we report these things, but they’re worth knowing, just in case everything changes at the last possible moment. (IP candidate Tom Horner, in the meanwhile, is still trailing badly, leading Dave Mindeman to ask on MinnPost, “If a Horner vote is not a wasted one, then what is it?“)

There has been a lot of debating lately. Maybe too much? At least, that’s what MPR’s Mark Zdechlik wonders, pointing out that by the time the election rolls around, there will be 25 more gubernatorial debates. In the meanwhile, it’s still not clear whether Rep. Michele Bachmann and challenger Tarryl Clark will ever debateas Andy Birkey of Minnesota Independent reports, Clark has challenged Bachmann to a series of eight debates. “She is not making herself available,” Clark complained, later adding: “She must be afraid of something. I can’t figure out what that is.”

In more election news, Andy Birkey tells us that two churches are going to endorse candidates from the pulpit, in direct defiance of the laws governing their tax-exempt status. One of them, Brad Brandon of Berean Bible Baptist Church in Hastings, actually taunted what he called “the liberal media” to turn him in. “Do it out of hatred for me,” he said.

In arts: The Associated Press has the news that Bob Dylan will be honored with a plaque on the Minnesota Walk of Fame. That’s right: Minnesota has a walk of fame. He will join such other notables as Marion Ross, Tippi Hedren and Loni Anderson. We would respectfully like to submit that any Minnesota Walk of Fame that is missing Lester Young, Dr. Demento, Gordon Parks and University of Minnesota graduate Ron Perlman is no Walk of Fame at all.

In sports: How serious is Favre’s tendinitis, asks FOX9. We mention this story mostly because it’s a relief to hear about a different part of Favre’s body.

You can also learn about all our free newsletter options.

Comments (8)

  1. Submitted by Bill Schletzer on 10/15/2010 - 11:27 am.

    Bachmann will neve debate or allow an unscripted interview from a neutral source because it would show how plain dumb she is and how little she actually knows versus believes.

  2. Submitted by Thomas Swift on 10/15/2010 - 11:32 am.

    Well, it’s true that Dayton’s doing as well (for the most part) as the last four Democrat gubernatorial candidates, so we wish you joy of repeating your very respectable track record, bunny!

    In fact, unless photos of Horner celebrating the Solstice with a pool-boy in Cabo surface to put him over the top for leftists, Dayton has a very good chance of doing better than Skippy Humphrey; how sweet is *that*?

  3. Submitted by Jeff Klein on 10/15/2010 - 01:00 pm.

    Mr. Swift, your complete lack of objectivity is startling (and telling). While I may despise everything Emmer stands for, if recent poll results were reversed I wouldn’t feel any better about Dayton’s chances than I did that the Twins would beat the Yankees.

  4. Submitted by Ginny Martin on 10/15/2010 - 01:16 pm.

    Why would Bachmann debate Clark? She is doing just fine with her ignorant and inaccurate slams against Clark and all Democrats, liberals, progressives, socialists, Obama, what have you. She could only lose a debate up against a smart informed woman like Clark.
    I think that’s why Dayton’s numbers are rising. People are seeing that Emmer would take us nowhere except further down–when he bothers to come up with statistics and factsw at all.

  5. Submitted by Cecil North on 10/15/2010 - 02:55 pm.

    fivethirtyeight.com gives Dayton a 76% chance of success to Emmer’s 24% (Horner gets the doughnut). None of Minnesota’s US Reps seem in any real danger of being replaced, regardless of party. Nate Silver’s analysis has been fairly accurate for the last few election cycles.

    So, even if Emmer were to win, very little in Minnesota politics seems destined to change in 2011. On the other hand, as Swift helpfully points out, a Horner win would be a sea change for the State.

  6. Submitted by Cecil North on 10/15/2010 - 02:58 pm.

    Does Bachmann’s contract with Fox allow her to appear on other stations? Maybe that’s why she can’t debate Clark.

  7. Submitted by Jane Cracraft on 10/15/2010 - 03:57 pm.

    Great. I’m going to have nightmares about Bonnie Jean Werner’s eyebrows and Margaret Olene’s bangs.

  8. Submitted by Ryan Coleman on 10/16/2010 - 11:42 am.

    Mr. Schletzer – If she won’t allow it why is she debating Tarryl Clark three times? Are you saying it’s a facade?

Leave a Reply