GOP purge reverberates

MORNING EDITION

Back in the bad old days, heretics were burned at the stake. Long-shot/no chance Republican gubernatorial candidate Bob Carney Jr.’s feet are probably feeling the heat after his Strib commentary, “GOP Purge:It’s Ridiculous,” which not only rips the party, uh, brain trust for shunning the likes of Dave Durenberger, Arne Carlson  and Al Quie for not supporting Tom Emmer, but also suggests — good lord, man! — tax increases to relieve the deficit: “[W]hen Quie introduced tax indexing during the last severe recession, the immediate consequence was to increase a recession-driven deficit. Quie reluctantly accepted temporary tax increases. We should consider doing the same in the next legislative session.Returning to the 1998 income tax rates would add $1.6 billion in revenue —  and no Minnesotan would pay more than an additional 1 percent in taxes. Add a $1.4 billion savings from continuing the K-12 funding shift, and the 2012-13 deficit shrinks by about half. Cutting from there will be painful, but possible.” Dude, you can’t be protected if you keep this up.

For his part, Quie, now 87, isn’t exactly broken up by the shunning. Cathy Wurzer and Curtis Gilbert of MPR report: “Quie … doesn’t agree with the party’s decision, but he’s not worried about it, either. As a practical matter, he hasn’t been involved in party affairs for years, beyond attending his local precinct caucus. Still, he doesn’t think it’s a good idea for the party to punish dissenting voices. ‘If they’re upset at us, I really don’t blame them. I’ve been upset at Republicans who didn’t support me,’ Quie said. ‘But what they are doing is refusing to listen to people who have an opposite view, and that’s necessary in a party.’ ”  Some parties perhaps, but not the current Republican one.

Here’s your chance to live with the cool kids. The Business Journal’s Jim Hammerand reports on a 216-unit “resort-style” condo announced for the Uptown neighborhood. The developer, Brent Rogers, indulges in some unfortunate verbiage about target clients when he says they are “successful, busy people that have some disposable income but are short on time … They are serious about their careers but also want the ability to exercise, socialize and relax without having to get in the car and go somewhere else. We think they will choose Flux for its resort atmosphere.” So why am I thinking frat boys doing head stands on kegs of Corona?

The sister of the suspect who killed a young mother and her two small children while fleeing the State Patrol called KARE-TV to plead her brother’s case. Jana Shortall files, saying: “[Rufus} Victor’s sister called KARE 11 Monday morning because she wanted to speak about her brother and apologize to the Thomas family. She said her brother isn’t the monster this crime would make him out to be. ‘My brother loves children and that is why he is hurting now. He never, never in a million years thought this would happen. He is not a murderer. He did not try to do that,’ she said. She did not want to use her name to protect her 6-year-old son who she says is devastated by what happened at the hands of his uncle. The sister did not excuse her brother’s actions, nor did she deny his 11-year criminal history. She said she just wanted to make it known to the public that he too is a person loved by his family and that his family, the Victor family, is devastated by this crime as well.”

There’s been a big cocaine bust in Duluth. Bob Kelleher at MPR reports … from Duluth: “Police say they’ve arrested six individuals following an investigation led by the Lake Superior Drug and Gang task force, which set up drug buys by informants. Five have been charged in St. Louis County District Court, while a sixth is held on a warrant from Cook County, Illinois. With the arrests police confiscated five handguns and ammunition, crack cocaine, powder cocaine, marijuana and prescription drugs, in addition to several vehicles and a large amount of currency.”

Talk about righteous, the Badger Herald, the U of Wisconsin’s student paper is outing fellow students for scalping Rose Bowl tickets. After running a long list of names, the paper writes: “Wisconsin had 5,800 student tickets to sell. They went up for purchase on uwbadgers.com at 9 p.m. Sunday and were sold out by 9:20 p.m. The above students had the nerve to put their Rose Bowl tickets up for sale on Facebook Marketplace within two hours of tickets selling out. Face value was $150. Some were trying to get the tickets for more than $400 a pop. Truly, there is a special place in Hell for people who buy Rose Bowl tickets with the sole intention of profiting from them. It is entirely unfair to those who actually love this football team and were counting on a cheap face value ticket in order to make the trip to Pasadena an economic reality. We’ll keep printing names of those we catch on Facebook marketplace. And feel free to send an email to editor@badgerherald.com if you know of anybody whose name should be added to the list — particularly the 100 people who have already made a listing on Craigslist.” Boy, that’ll make for some awkward encounters on State Street.

Read Monday Afternoon Edition here

1. Submitted by Duke Powell on 12/07/2010 - 06:22 am.

The point, I think, that is being missed by most is that at one time or another nearly all of those listed had been endorsed by the RPM when they ran for election. The Republican endorsement means something. It means that we will do everything possible to see the candidate through a primary battle and general election.

As a one-time Party officer, there were times when my fellow Republicans endorsed candidates that I wasn’t happy with. Nonetheless, it was my duty to phone bank, fund raise, maintain and provide voter lists and door knock for these candidates. I did it because it would have been wrong for me to subsitute my judgment for the judgment of the local Party faithful.

It was also what the candidates expected and demanded.

So what we have here is a list of folks who expected and received Party backing when it was THEIR name on the ballot. They demanded and received our loyalty.

Fast forward to this year’s election. These moderates repaid this loyalty by deciding that they would rather see Mark Dayton elected than a conservative. Given their political background it is difficult to believe that any of them expected Tom Horner to win the election. In my opinion they knowingly sabotaged our Party’s endorsed candidate. They were successful.

Consequently, I agree with the actions taken by the RPM State Central Committee. We have a history of endorsing moderates and working to see them elected. What some of them have forgotten is that its a two-way street.

2. Submitted by Greg Kapphahn on 12/07/2010 - 07:38 am.

“We have a history of endorsing moderates.”

Let me see, yes, yes, here it is, that history of the Republican Party endorsing moderates…

It’s found on these cave paintings and petroglyphs,…

from way, way back in the neolithic age of politics

when the Republican party was interested in the well being of the general population of Minnesota, and main street businesses across the state,…

Of course it took x-rays to find those records because they have been painted over as thoroughly as possible with the current platform which involves interest only in

–enriching Wall Street businesses,

–stripping the poor and middle class of their jobs, their property, their financial assets and any hope they ever had of a comfortable retirement,

–and–

–invading people’s bedrooms in order to make sure their sex lives meet officially-approved criteria,

for the much greater purpose of padding their own pockets and keeping their own steel “closet” doors welded shut.

3. Submitted by Neal Rovick on 12/07/2010 - 08:46 am.

It is amusingly ironic that the party that has been so quick to cry “Socialism!”, “Communism”, and yes, even “Fascism!” purges its party in the same fine tradition as those “-isms”.

Dissent is the foundation of democracy.

4. Submitted by Paul Udstrand on 12/07/2010 - 09:05 am.

This win at all costs, divisive, intolerant, and narrow minded Republican party didn’t spring in to existence last week. Pawlenty was the vanguard of toxic Republicanism back in the mid 90s and I don’t recall any of these guys sounding the alarm. Quie and Carlson are right, the Republicans are mistaking electoral success with ideological endorsement and it’s going to blow up in their faces. Unfortunately for the rest of us they will pile even more damage on top of that they’ve already done before the next election cycle.

5. Submitted by Thomas Swift on 12/07/2010 - 09:21 am.

The RINO kerfluffel reminds me of my brief career as a Cadillac dealer.

I’ve always loved Cadillacs.

State of the art electronics surrounded by all that beautiful steel, chrome and leather; man, that’s living!…so I bought a dealership.

The day my first shipment of DeVilles, Fleetwoods and Eldorado’s arrived I thought I’d died and gone to heaven.

Trouble is, I found out it’s not easy selling Cadillacs when gas prices are high. Sure, there are a group of dedicated enthusiasts out there, but I wasn’t seeing enough of them to finance the lifestyle I feel I deserved.

So I made a deal with Toyota.

They delivered Celica’s to my dealership, and I slapped my Cadillac badges on them.

I’d tell people they could own a vehicle with the prestige of a Cadillac at half the cost, and with twice the gas mileage…why would they want to waste their money on the real thing?

WIN!

Unfortunately, after my commercials started airing (Don’t be a sap, Caddy’s are crap!)GM send some mean guys over, and they tore down my signs, ripped up my banners and told me I’d never be a Caddilac dealer again.

They must have been Republicans.

6. Submitted by Hénock Gugsa on 12/07/2010 - 10:42 am.

@#1 – “As a one-time Party officer, there were times when my fellow Republicans endorsed candidates that I wasn’t happy with. Nonetheless, it was my duty to phone bank, fund raise, maintain and provide voter lists and door knock for these candidates. I did it because it would have been wrong for me to substitute my judgment for the judgment of the local Party faithful.”
    —————————————–
    This is as best a definitive example of what they mean by an “apparatchik.”

apparatchik : (noun, origin Russian) 1)a full-time, professional functionary of a party;
    2)an agent of the governmental or party “apparat” (apparatus) that held any position of bureaucratic or political responsibility.

The next sound you’ll be hearing will be goose steps!

7. Submitted by Brian Simon on 12/07/2010 - 01:26 pm.

Maybe I’m the only guy that remembers how the DFL reacted to Coleman’s party change and Randy Kelly’s endorsement of Bush over Kerry.

8. Submitted by Rich Crose on 12/07/2010 - 01:30 pm.

A Badger fanatic was babbling in the office about the Rose Bowl.

Someone said, “Oh, you must be real Badger fan.”

The badger fan asked, “Oh, did you go to Wisconsin too?”

He replied, “No, I went to a good school.”

9. Submitted by Jackson Cage on 12/07/2010 - 01:48 pm.

Trouble is Swift, you’re now stuck selling a model nobody wants. But look on the bright side…at least your model comes with the ability to refinance the terms of your loan every year!