Minneapolis vote totals finally confirm Betsy Hodges as new mayor

Finally . . .  a winner. Minneapolis vote totals now confirm what seemed clear Tuesday night. The  Star Tribune’s Eric Roper and Maya Rao report:At 10:14 p.m. Thursday — more than 50 hours after the polls closed — officials finally confirmed that Betsy Hodges had been elected the next mayor of Minneapolis. It was an anticlimactic conclusion to a process carried out publicly, and in excruciating detail, over the course of three days of counting.” The reporters talk about the fallout over the counting process: “Minneapolis residents got a cold dose of the reality of ranked-choice voting Thursday, as the excitement they felt about picking first, second and third choices for mayor on Tuesday gave way to the tedium of tallying those votes in the hours and days since.”

He was transfered to Our Lady of Mink!? Jean Hopfensperger and Tony Kennedy of the Strib write: “A Catholic priest who was sued more than a decade ago for alleged sexual abuse of a child was sued again Thursday on behalf of another victim for abuse that allegedly took place after the priest was moved to an Edina parish in the mid-1970s. The lawsuit in Ramsey County District Court against the Rev. Jerome C. Kern also names the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis on civil charges related to placing Kern around children in parish settings. The suit alleges that the archdiocese moved the priest to Our Lady of Grace Church in Edina in the early 1970s after parents of two young teenage boys at St. Mark’s Church in St. Paul complained to archdiocese officials that Kern molested the boys during a swimming outing at Lake Nokomis in the summer of 1969.”

At MPR, Laura Yuen says: “Kern is the latest Catholic priest to be implicated in the growing scandal of clergy sex abuse in the Twin Cities. The lawsuit filed Thursday morning by St. Paul attorney Jeff Anderson on behalf of a man in his 50s alleges Kern abused him starting when he was 12 years old while Kern was working at Our Lady of Grace in Edina during the 1970s. The man, identified only as Plaintiff Doe 26, said the archdiocese knew — or should have known — that Kern was a child molester before it placed him there. … [Jamie] Heutmaker said he and his friend Charlie Turning and some other children went to Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis, where Kern touched their genitals while playing with them in the water. Church memos obtained by St. Paul attorney Jeff Anderson show that archdiocese officials were skeptical of Kern’s claims that he was simply engaging in what he called ‘Italian wrestling’ — in which he said men grasp at each other’s genitals.” Do not let any stand-up comic near that line.

The National Journal got in the act over the Washington football team’s nickname. Matt Vasilogambros writes: “Thursday night’s game between two middling teams, … Washington … and Minnesota Vikings, might not offer sports fans much in the way of exciting athleticism. But it has given opponents of the [team’s] name an opening for their fight. Back in Washington, the D.C. Council passed a resolution this week calling on owner Dan Snyder to change the name of the football team, calling it offensive and racist. Mayor Vincent Gray also came out in favor of a name change. Snyder has long said that the … name is not offensive and that the team’s history should be honored. But now, politicians outside of the District are getting involved in the debate. [Washington is] in Minnesota on Thursday, a state that is home to many Native Americans. And what makes this game different is that it is being played in a public facility.”

Likewise, the governor added his opinion. Baird Helgeson of the Strib reports: “Gov. Mark Dayton jumped into the controversy surrounding the Washington[‘s] name on Thursday, saying the NFL team’s name is ‘racist’ and ‘offensive.’ ‘I believe the name should be changed,’ the DFLer said at a news conference. ‘It’s antiquated and offensive in our present context.’ … House Minority Leader Kurt Daudt, R-Crown, said he didn’t think the name needed to change. He attended the University of North Dakota, which caved to pressure from the NCAA to scrap a Fighting Sioux moniker and logo that many found offensive.”

Oh, and as for the place the Washington Whatevers will play the next time they come to town … Tim Nelson of MPR says: “The stadium authority building a new home for the Vikings still plans to break ground on the project before Thanksgiving. Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority chair Michele Kelm-Helgen told lawmakers today that her agency, the Vikings, HKS Architects and Mortenson Construction are still working on ways to keep the cost under $988 million. That’s the cap set by the team and the state. But Kelm-Helgen said she expects the stadium’s eye-catching look to remain unchanged.”

A new veterans cemetery … . Stribber Paul Walsh says: “A new cemetery in southeastern Minnesota is in the works for veterans, and several dignitaries will attend Friday’s ceremonial groundbreaking. The 169-acre burial site is located just off Hwy. 52 in Preston and is scheduled to open in 2015. The land was donated by Fillmore County and the city, with $10 million in funding for construction coming from the Federal Cemetery Administration to the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs.”

The GleanNot exactly an inconspicuous gathering … Jim Anderson of the Strib covers the mayors’ lunch: “St. Paul May­or Chris Cole­man, re-elect­ed to a third term Tues­day in a land­slide, and Bet­sy Hodges, who for now car­ries the awk­ward title of pre­sump­tive-may­or-to-be of Minneapolis, met for lunch Thurs­day on Hodges’ home turf at the IDS Center in down­town Minneapolis. … Cole­man and Hodges have been friends for a long time — he en­dorsed her can­di­da­cy. She is form­er president of the League of Minnesota Cities, and he takes over next week as president of the National League of Cities. Cole­man also pre­sent­ed Hodges with a framed art piece ti­tled ‘612/651’ by St. Paul art­ist Adam Tur­man.”

As for those vapors … Christopher Snowbeck of the PiPress says: “Health officials have sent letters to residents of a Minneapolis neighborhood about an investigation of potentially harmful soil vapors that could be intruding homes and buildings in the area. The letters were sent Wednesday to people in the Como neighborhood in Minneapolis, which is situated north of the University of Minnesota and between Interstate 35W and Minnesota 280. While the letters informed residents of potential health concerns, they also stressed that more investigation is needed to evaluate the actual risk … ‘The soil vapor in question is trichloroethylene, commonly known as TCE,’ the news release states. ‘It was used as an industrial solvent at a former General Mills research facility at 2010 E. Hennepin Ave. in Minneapolis in the 1940s until the early 1960s.’ During the time period, TCE was disposed of in a pit on the property, and the contaminated site has been known for more than 30 years. With monitoring by the state, General Mills pumped and treated groundwater at the site to remove the TCE for 25 years.”

Remember when DFLer Ryan Winkler called Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas an “Uncle Thomas” for his vote striking down a key component of the Voting Rights Act? Well, blogger John Gilmore not only remembers it, he isn’t letting the liberally biased Minnesota press forget how they treated Winkler. “ … Winkler made The Drudge Report by tweeting that Justice Clarence Thomas was an Uncle Tom. Often over-looked was his equally repulsive claim that the other four justices in the majority decision were ‘accomplices to race discrimination.’ … the local media took down every insincere, ass-covering word Winkler uttered in a panic to salvage his career and left it at that. DFL handlers handled their Eddie Haskell, and otherwise fierce seekers of truth and power holding accountable types merely repeated what was said. No hard questions. No outrage. No suggestion that the tweet betrayed a mindset unfit for public office.”

Comments (1)

  1. Submitted by Jim Camery on 11/08/2013 - 07:27 am.

    On to the next crisis

    So no more worried looks from Tim Sherno amidst the references to ‘confusion’ and ‘controversy’ over the counting? I don’t think the process went any differently than people who had thought about it or a moment thought it would, and there was no controversy or confusion. Digitalizing the process (2017) will make it nearly instantanious. The local media got some run out of it.

    What they could have done to really speed it up was just eliminate those with no chance, rather than precisely determine if they finished #25 or #26.

Leave a Reply