Reaction to that anti-transgender ad in the Strib a couple days ago includes this from City Pages’ Aaron Rupar: “The Star Tribune upset many of its LGBT-friendly readers by running an anti-transgender ad paid for by the Minnesota Child Protection League. … A report on the thecolu.mn website describes the MCPL as ‘A group of veteran religious right and tea party activists’ who were active opposing the anti-bullying Safe and Supportive Schools Act before it was signed into law earlier this year. The report notes that the group’s lead spokesperson is Barb Anderson, founder of the Parents Action League. To give you an idea of where the MCPL is coming from, consider that Anderson once said, ‘The greatest threat to our freedom and the health and well-being of our children is from this radical homosexual agenda that is just so pervasive.’” And you thought it was taxes and Obamacare.
Who’s left that hasn’t been hacked? The neighbor kids’ kool-aid stand? MPR’s Peter Cox says, “In a statement, SuperValu said some cardholder information from payments at checkout lanes was possibly stolen by hackers using malware. The malware potentially captured account numbers, expiration dates, and names from cards used at checkout lines at Cub Foods stores in Hastings, Shakopee, White Bear Lake and the Roseville store at Har Mar Mall. Cardholder data may have been stolen from payment cards used in those stores from Aug. 27 through Sept. 21.”
From Stephen Forsha, Chicago-based writer for Fansided on the Twins’ next manager: “With the Minnesota Twins firing manager Ron Gardenhire on Monday, the rumors have already begun to swirl about who will replace the Twins’ longtime manager. One of those names is very familiar to the Chicago White Sox. Minnesota Twins beat writer Mike Berardino tweeted the following earlier today: ‘Source close to Ozzie Guillen on #MNTwins job: “Very interested … very open … knows division … hungry and wants back in.” Of course Ozzie wants back in, and though I would not prefer to see him with the Twins, or with any team in the AL Central, you have to admit he might be a good fit there.”
As we’re constantly told, government does not create jobs. Dee DePass of the Strib reports, “The federal government awarded Minnesota $17.5 million in workforce training grants to beef up hands-on education in manufacturing and construction, Gov. Mark Dayton announced Monday. The U.S. Department of Labor grants will be distributed to 14 schools in the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system with the help of two other programs. The Minnesota Advanced Manufacturing Partnership will distribute $15 million of the grant money to 13 MnSCU schools.”
Also being shown the money: Says Mary Abbe at the Strib, “From a food-inspired opera to a Latino radio novella to ‘The Smallest Museum in St. Paul’ in an old fire-hose cabinet, St. Paul will be inundated next year with arts activities after the announcement Monday of nearly $1.4 million in Knight Foundation grants. … The 42 winners in Knight’s grass-roots ‘arts challenge’ responded to a simple request: Pitch a great idea in 150 words or less.”
Not so much with corn and soybeans, though. Says Tom Webb at the PiPress, “The U.S. Agriculture Department said Monday that 10 percent of Minnesota’s soybean acres have been harvested, along with 2 percent of its corn acres. That’s about a week behind the usual pace. But crop prices are the big change from last year. Corn has slipped below $3 a bushel across much of the state, roughly half the price of a year ago. Soybeans are in the $8-a-bushel range, down from the $14 level a year ago. Forecasts of a mammoth U.S. harvest have pushed prices down to levels not seen in several years.”
There’ll be no big release of info on Diocese of Duluth sex abuse cases. For the Forum News Service Tom Olsen says, “Internal church documents and deposition testimony in two ongoing sex abuse lawsuits against the Diocese of Duluth can remain confidential, a judge ruled recently before recusing himself from hearing the cases. St. Louis County District Judge David Johnson last week granted the diocese’s motion for a protective order … . Johnson previously tossed out portions of the two lawsuits that claimed the diocese had created a public and private nuisance, leaving only negligence claims standing. The judge wrote that the dismissal of those claims lessens the need for the documents to be immediately released.”
You knew this was coming: The Strib’s Patrick Condon reports, “Minnesota 2020, a progressive think tank founded by former DFL legislator Matt Entenza seven years ago, is shutting down. Stuart Alger, a Minneapolis attorney and Minnesota 2020 board chairman, confirmed Monday that the board decided last week to close its doors. Alger said six to eight full-time employees would be laid off — primarily writers and researchers. ‘The funding just hasn’t been there as it was in the past,’ Alger said. … According to publicly available tax forms, Minnesota 2020 spent $1.9 million from 2009 to 2013. Of that, $1.4 million came from a single donor. [DFL operative Dave] Colling said he could not say whether the donor was Entenza … .” Because he doesn’t really have to.