No charges for false 911 call that led to teens’ arrest in Minneapolis park

The GleanFor MPR, Peter Cox says, “No one will be charged at this time for a 911 call that turned out to be false and led to the detention of a group of teens, Minneapolis officials said Wednesday. On July 10, Minneapolis Park Police responded to a 911 call saying teens with knives and possibly a gun were assaulting a man at Minnehaha Regional Park. Police responded with several squad cars. They handcuffed the four black teens, ages 13 to 16, and one officer had drawn a gun. But the 911 call turned out to be false. No evidence was found that corroborated the caller’s report. … The Minneapolis City Attorney’s office released a statement that no charges will be brought against the 911 caller.”

The latest installment of the Star Tribune’s series on how sexual assault is handled by law enforcement is out. Written by Bandon Stahl, Mary Jo Webster and Jennifer Bjorhus, the story focuses on how violent offenders slide by the system. “Bruised and terrified, Amber Mansfield sat in a hospital room and described her assault to two Minneapolis police officers. The man she was seeing had flown into a rage, choked her, beaten her and threatened to kill her. Then he raped her. Mansfield gave the police his address and his name: Keith Eugene Washington. A simple background check would have shown that Washington was a convicted rapist with a long criminal record. And it would have shown that the state had designated him a dangerous sex offender. Police checked none of that, according to the case file. Mansfield’s case went nowhere.” 

Get your Christmas shopping done early. The AP breaks it to us. “Online shoppers in Minnesota will soon have to pay more on goods and services in their digital shopping carts. The Minnesota Department of Revenue said Wednesday that it’s requiring online sellers operating out of state to start collecting state sales taxes by Oct. 1. It’s a response to last month’s U.S. Supreme Court decision that makes it easier for states to collect taxes on online sales.”

Chris Serres of the Strib says,A former top administrator at the Minnesota Department of Health alleges she was wrongfully fired last year in retaliation for raising concerns about a hostile work environment. Nancy A. Omondi, a former director of the department’s health regulation division, said she repeatedly attempted to notify senior leaders at the agency of a pattern of harassment, bullying and discrimination at the division she oversaw, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Ramsey County District Court. In response, Omondi said, she was verbally berated, reprimanded and ultimately terminated last November from her position at the health department.”

An understatement. Says Grace Pastoor of the Forum News Service, “A Lake George, Minn., woman was charged with attempted murder and assault Monday after police say she slit the throat of an acquaintance at his Laporte home. Defendant Janelle Nicole Rex, 32, and the victim, identified as Larry Holm, ‘didn’t particularly like each other,’ according to a court documents that provide an account of the throat-cutting.”

When are the fireworks? Brian Bakst at MPR, “Minnesota has a near-perfect credit rating as Gov. Mark Dayton’s tenure moves toward an end, bringing it back to where it was when the DFLer was elected in 2010. Two bond rating agencies gave Minnesota aAAA” rating in decisions issued Wednesday. That’s the top rating and matters because entities with that rating get better interest rates when borrowing for construction projects. Minnesota officials plan to sell $619 million in bonds next month. … Minnesota’s strong budget management and recent steps to shore up public pensions were cited as reasons.” 

Three years later?  Mike Longaecker of the Forum News Service says, “Data from the cellphone of a North Hudson man involved in a fatal crash will be reviewed before his trial next year — nearly three years after the collision that claimed the life of a Hudson mother. According to Minnesota court records in Washington County, prosecutors and lawyers for Drew Fleming, 22, will be able to use data from the phone he had with him at the time of the crash that killed Megan Goeltz, who was pregnant at the time of the incident. Prosecutors allege that Fleming was distracted by his phone at the time of the February 2016 crash in West Lakeland Township. Fleming has pleaded not guilty to one count of misdemeanor reckless driving.” 

You didn’t need to drive this weekend, anyway. The Star Tribune’s Tim Harlow writes: “In what might be the most disruptive freeway closure of the summer — and that is saying a lot this year — the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) will shut down a 15-mile stretch of Interstate 35W through the heart of the Twin Cities this weekend. From 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday, northbound travel won’t be allowed between the Crosstown Hwy. 62 in Richfield and Interstate 694 in Arden Hills, except for the stretch from County Road C to Interstate 694. Southbound lanes on I-35W will be closed, too, except from I-694 down to Hwy. 280 and Hwy. 36 and from 46th Street to the Crosstown.”

Comments (1)

  1. Submitted by Frank Phelan on 07/26/2018 - 06:03 am.

    AAA Bond Rating

    Don’t the rating agencies know that Pawlenty is running again? But I suppose they can just drop ‘er down the day after the election.

Leave a Reply