Minnesota 2018 election turnout was tops in the nation

At MPR, Tim Pugmire reports, “More than 2.6 million Minnesotans cast ballots in this month’s election, short of the 2.9 million who voted two years ago, but still good enough to hit 64.25 percent of eligible voters and once again lead the nation. State officials certified the election results Tuesday. Minnesota Secretary of State Steve Simon, who chairs the state canvassing board, noted that it was the second election in a row that Minnesota voters led the nation. ‘We were No. 1, and not by a little bit. We beat the second-place finisher, the state of Colorado, by over a full percentage point, which in election terms is a lot,’ he said.”

For the Star Tribune, Jeremy Olson writes, “Health care spending at Minnesota clinics slowed sharply last year as physicians discouraged unnecessary procedures and steered patients to lower-cost sources for prescription drugs, lab tests and imaging scans — but some providers did considerably better than others. … The average privately insured patient cost $563 per month, according to a report released Tuesday by Minnesota Community Measurement, a health care nonprofit. But that amount ranged widely based on where the patients received their primary care, according to the group’s annual total cost of care report.”

In the Pioneer Press, Jess Fleming says, “Less than two weeks after the opening of his new Chinese restaurant in St. Louis Park, celebrity chef Andrew Zimmern has really stepped in it. In a video interview with business magazine Fast Company, Zimmern, while talking about his reasons for opening Lucky Cricket, compared certain Midwestern Chinese restaurants to excrement of the equine variety. … Zimmern, who spoke with the Pioneer Press by phone from the office of that new restaurant, now apologizes profusely for those words, clarifying that he was referring to chain restaurants in malls and airports, and not the Chinese-American mom-and-pop shops around the Twin Cities and the rest of the Midwest.”

At MPR, this from Max Nesterak, “City of Minneapolis officials said Tuesday they plan to close down the homeless encampment once a nearby emergency shelter opens. Until now, it was unclear what would happen with the site along Franklin and Hiawatha avenues in south Minneapolis once the so-called navigation center opens.”

In the PiPress, Tad Vezner says, “The candidate who won a coin toss to become the next Maplewood City Council member has dropped behind in a recount. If that didn’t make sense to you, you haven’t been following the Maplewood council saga. It goes like this: In the Nov. 6 election, Maplewood had two at-large council seats up for grabs. There was a clear victor for one. But as for the second, a post-election audit turned up dozens of ballots that hadn’t been uploaded to Ramsey County’s vote-tabulation system on election eve. After they had, incumbent council member Marylee Abrams and newcomer Nikki Villavicencio each had 5,755 votes. There was a tie for the second seat. So the candidates agreed to literally flip a coin for it. Villavicencio won the toss. Shortly thereafter, Abrams filed for a recount.”

The Star Tribune’s Miquel Otárola writes: “Minneapolis City Council President Lisa Bender said she supports the city getting tough on residents who don’t shovel their sidewalks. Even when it hits close to home. City inspectors received seven complaints last winter about snowy or icy sidewalks around the home in the Wedge neighborhood Bender owns with her husband. Each time, they found the property in violation. At some point, city workers shoveled the sidewalks and issued a fine of $149, which was paid.”

Another PiPress story, this by Josh Verges says, “A University of Minnesota undergraduate studying in Cuba in 2014 said she was raped by a local interpreter who offered to help with her research. The U last year agreed to pay $137,500 to settle a lawsuit brought by the student, Natalie Carlson, who said the group’s chaperone failed to supervise them and mistreated Carlson after the assault. The U, which admitted no wrongdoing, recently released the settlement agreement in response to a Pioneer Press records request.”

In the Strib, Kelly Smith says, “State investigators are looking into whether a rural Minnesota police chief engaged in criminal activity by sending sexual messages to a young woman this month. A restraining order against Montevideo Police Chief Adam Christopher was approved by the Chippewa County District Court on Nov. 15. In it, an 18-year-old woman said she and Christopher had sent hundreds of text messages to one another starting when she was 17, but his messages became sexual this month. … In the restraining order, the 18-year-old said Christopher is the father of a taekwondo classmate and a Facebook friend, and they began messaging each other when she was 17.”

Comments (1)

  1. Submitted by Frank Phelan on 11/28/2018 - 12:40 pm.

    How quickly can Montevideo get the badge and gun away from that creepy police chief? And will they want to stand between the innocent and the creep who has no idea of proper boundaries?

Leave a Reply