Nonprofit, nonpartisan journalism. Supported by readers.


Mubarak cabinet meets, protests continue

CAIRO, Egypt — Egypt’s newly appointed cabinet met for the first time on Monday, as protesters continued to demand the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak.
The government sat down with opposition groups on Sunday, offering a number of concessions,

CAIRO, Egypt — Egypt’s newly appointed cabinet met for the first time on Monday, as protesters continued to demand the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak.

The government sat down with opposition groups on Sunday, offering a number of concessions, including an agreement to form a committee to review amendments to Egypt’s constitution. The committee will look specifically at two articles that govern — and currently restrict — who can run for president.

But protesters rejected the government’s concessions, and tens of thousands of protesters in Cairo’s Tahrir Square dug in deeper, saying only ending three decades of rule by Mubarak could bring the protests to an end.

The two weeks of massive protests have brought the country’s economy to a standstill. The Egyptian stock exchange said on Monday that the stock market, which has been closed for more than a week, would reopen next Sunday.

Article continues after advertisement

The exchange dropped 17 percent in two days of trading once the protests began.

Egypt’s vice president, Omar Suleiman, offered several compromises on Sunday during a meeting with representatives from several of the country’s opposition groups, including the banned Muslim Brotherhood.

Many opposition leaders were skeptical that the multi-party talks could lead anywhere with Mubarak still in office.

Mubarak has made multiple attempts and concessions to end the protests taking place in Tahrir since the unrest began on Jan. 25, including sacking his cabinet and announcing that he would not run in presidential elections scheduled for September.

Mubarak’s stay in power, however, continued to be a dealbreaker both in the meeting and on the crowded streets of Tahrir.

Mohamed ElBaradei, Egypt’s best known political reform activist and former head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, did not attend the Suleiman-led talks. But he said that free and fair elections in Egypt could only be guaranteed by a new, transitional government — one without Mubarak.

“The regime which he represents lost legitimacy, and he, he needs to assume political responsibility and step aside,” said ElBaradei on NBC’s Meet the Press on Sunday.

Sunday marked the first time Egypt’s current government met with members of the Muslim Brotherhood, the country’s largest opposition movement.

Essam al-Arian, a senior member of the Islamic group, said ending the political crisis hinged on Mubarak.

Article continues after advertisement

“If the regime does not move quickly to accept the people’s demands that Mubarak step down then we will end this dialogue,” said al-Arian at a press conference Sunday.

As politicians and opposition figures met, some sense of normalcy returned to a city that has been in a virtual standstill since late January.

Cars, buses and even donkey carts flooded back onto Cairo’s notoriously crowded streets. Banks, shuttered businesses and coffeeshops reopened for the first time in more than a week.

Egypt’s stock market remained closed, at least until Tuesday, following massive losses of about $12 billion during the first two days of unrest.

Journalists and cameramen were more visible, after a weekend of harassment, beatings and the detention of up to two dozen local and foreign reporters.

Egypt’s newly appointed prime minister, Ahmed Shafiq, told CNN on Sunday that security forces were instructed “not to bother” journalists covering the demonstrations in Cairo.

Still, two correspondents for Al-Jazeera English were detained — but eventually released — by Egypt’s military on Sunday.

Meanwhile, several gunshots were fired near Tahrir Square on Sunday night — the first time gunfire had been heard downtown in almost two days.

The Egyptian army fired tracer shots into the air as a warning, according to an eyewitness, as crowds began swelling to the security cordon near the Egyptian Museum.

Article continues after advertisement

Throughout the day, Egyptian soldiers and tanks attempted to lessen the space protesters had to march in Tahrir Square, but were blocked by people who laid across the pavement to halt the army’s advance.

Thousands of Muslims and the country’s minority Coptic Christians held prayers to commemorate the “martyrs” killed in the recent unrest.

Throughout the “day of martyrs,” as they have done all week, protesters displayed posters with the names and faces of Egyptians killed from various neighborhoods in Cairo and the country.

The United Nations estimates that 300 people have been killed in clashes between protesters and Egyptian security forces since late January.

Otherwise, the mood in Tahrir continued to be festive, following two days of clashes between pro- and anti-government supporters last week.

An Egyptian couple got married Sunday in Tahir, posing in front of a tank for their wedding photo, as tens of thousands of their “family members” watched.

Protesters further entrenched their ownership of the square itself, constructing scores of makeshift tents with canvas tarps to weather cold winter nights and rare, intermittent rain showers over the weekend.

Businesses began blooming in Tahrir, in a sign that protesters were creating their own city within a city.

Dozens of popcorn, coffee and even scarf vendors set up shop around the square, formerly a massive traffic hub in Cairo. Several stages with microphones were constructed to amplify the most commonly chanted anti-government slogan.

Article continues after advertisement

“We’re not leaving, he will leave,” screamed protesters throughout the day, in a reference to Egypt’s 82-year-old president.

Egyptians in Tahrir found new, more creative ways of expressing their anger at the regime.

Artists moved into the square, setting up canvases on a curb just outside a Kentucky Fried Chicken, to paint various depictions of the “revolution.” Face-painters, working off small wooden boxes, drew Egyptian flags on young children in Tahrir.

Rocks and chunks of brick on the streets were arranged to spell out “leave,” another message to Mubarak. The piles had been arranged as makeshift ammunitions dumps near the perimeter after clashes broke out with pro-Mubarak supporters on Wednesday.

Tens of thousands of protesters continued chanting throughout the day, despite the resumption of business in the capital.

And while leaders of opposition parties negotiated for an end to political stalemate, Egyptians in the square remained defiantly set on the removal of President Mubarak.

“Even if Muslim Brotherhood leaders decide to allowed Mubarak to spend the next seven months in office, I will stay here and continue protesting,” said Mohamed Ahmed, 41, a member of the banned Islamic group.

“We will not leave until he goes.”