Three explosions have shaken India’s commercial capital Mumbai, local media reported police as saying, with initial reports saying up to 10 people have been killed and scores wounded.
The chief minister of Maharastra, Prithviraj Chavan, said 13 people had been killed and 81 wounded in three explosions during rush hour, the Guardian reports.
Two of the blasts were in south Mumbai, Reuters reports, while one was in downtown Mumbai. The BBC reported the explosions as taking place in the the famed jewelry market Zaveri Bazaar, another near the Opera House.
India’s Home Ministry had called the explosions a terror attack, the first major attack on Mumbai since 10 Pakistani militants went on a 60-hour rampage at luxury hotels, the train station, and a Jewish center in 2008, killing 166 people.
Media outlets reported that the blasts coincided with the 24th birthday of Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, the only surviving gunman from the 2008 attack.
The Guardian quoted the Home Minister, P. Chidambaram, as saying the entire city had been put on “high alert.”
TV footage showed scenes of apparent chaos Wednesday.
One (very graphic) video posted on YouTube is said to have been taken at the Zaveri Bazaar: