The effect was observed among all types of high school music students, although it was stronger among those who played an instrument than among those who sang.
The drugs are anticholinergics, which help contract and relax muscles by blocking acetycholine, a chemical that aids the transmission of messages throughout the nervous system.
“We’re seeing an increase in anxiety that is related to kids’ concern about the personal consequences of U.S. immigration policy, and these are U.S.-born citizens,” says Brenda Eskenazi, the study’s lead author.
Almost half (45 percent) of the people surveyed said they had personally not followed their doctor’s instructions regarding the taking of antibiotics.
“Even just the moniker, like ‘the opioid epidemic,’ out of the gate, is problematic and incorrect,” said Leo Beletsky, an associate professor at Northeastern University. “This was never just about opioids.”
Although the research comes with some important caveats, it is troubling nonetheless, particularly for American workers, who are among the most overworked in the developed world.
Each year, about 23,000 Americans are treated in hospital emergency rooms for side effects related to known and unknown ingredients in dietary supplements.
The report attributes the “alarmingly high” STI rates to a variety of factors, including a lack of adequate resources for STI prevention, testing and treatment.
Most of the injuries (86 percent) were poisonings, which resulted when the child swallowed the products. The remaining injuries (14 percent) were chemical burns.
Global participation in 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons and marathons decreased by 13 percent during the past two years, according to a new report.
This spring, a collection of Uma Oswald’s self-portraits was hung at the University of Minnesota’s Institute for Translational Research in Children’s Mental Health, a center that brings together researchers to study the latest research on mental illness in young people.
White coat hypertension is a phenomenon where a person’s blood pressure reading is high at a doctor’s office but normal at home.
ALSO: “Traffic-light” labels, limiting the availability of sugary beverages in schools, and price increases at restaurants, stores and recreational centers are among interventions that work.
Researchers find that climate change-caused variations in Wisconsin lake levels have begun to reverse recent gains in controlling environmental mercury.
After conducting a study involving more than 35,000 pairs of twins, the researchers say they believe genetic variation may explain as much as half of people’s propensity to own a dog.
The study’s authors believe that purposefulness — which they define as “a self-organizing life aim that stimulates goals” — has health benefits and should be consider a modifiable risk factor for premature death.
Much of the weight that American adults gain during the winter holidays — an average of 1 to 3 pounds, according to studies — tends to persist afterward, particularly among the people who are overweight.
What many people are really recalling is “an episodic-memory-like mental representation consisting of remembered fragments of early experience and some facts or knowledge about their own infancy/childhood,” write the authors of the study.
Researchers report that exposing people to the pain and suffering caused by vaccine-preventable diseases helps a significant proportion of vaccine-hesitant people become pro-vaccine.
New drugs can make the disease untransmittable — but not everyone can afford them.